3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coyote Ugly  (Read 381 times)

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Coyote Ugly
« on: June 11, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
I was driving into work this morning and at the bottom of my street (a cross between suburban and rural) I saw, the biggest coyote I have ever seen, loping across the road, like a vampire looking for cover in the first hours of dawn.  At first I thought it was a large German shepherd, but that face was unmistakable.

My question to the Gang is, would you use a varmint call to bring him in and just a normal broadhead to dispatch him or a broadhead with some kind of judo or a RFA Talon?

Every time these beasts come into the neighborhood the incidences of missing cats and small dogs goes WAY up!!! I want it dead and while I can't bait for them or use dogs in Washington, I can hunt and kill them year round.

Thanks for the help
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coyote Ugly
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
Broadhead

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
Could be a cross between a dog and yote. Yep a broad head placed in the right spot will do the trick. Do not know about calling.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
I would use a razor sharp broadhead.A predator call should work.The problem is,getting the shot off with the coyote focused on your location.If you could come up with a makeshift decoy and put that a few yards from you,it will divert his attention.A stuffed toy animal,piece of fur that blows in the wind,etc.Good luck.They are very ruthless on pets in suburban areas.

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
calling works but be well concealed and lure it away from you with something small that moves. A feather in the wind, an automatic cat toy, etc.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
I have only done calls for big game, never any preditor calling.  I was thinking of a cat decoy or turkey... something like that.  I need to go into the woods and hills next to my house and look for tracks and signs.  I haven't herd their calls at night like we usually do when they are around, maybe he was just transiting.  I am still going to spend the weekend calling and staking him out.
Michael

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
Originally posted by NorthernCaliforniaHunter:
calling works but be well concealed and lure it away from you with something small that moves. A feather in the wind, an automatic cat toy, etc.
Great advice there!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline recurvecody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
i would use a mouse sqeak or a woodpecker in distress. any kind of disstress call will work. if you cant get it done with a bow a shotgun with oo buck works mighty good to!
pick a spot stupid!

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
Definitely a broadhead
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
Broadhead for sure.  :archer2:

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »
Id stake out a live cat and build a brush blind within broadhead range.A judo will not do.If the cat is considered bait just hunt where your neighbors let em roam.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
So, definately a very sharp broadhead.  Some kind of preditor call. Live cats would be considered bait, so no go there and can't do shotgun as the neighbors houses are too close.  A brush blind seems like a good idea too.  I had thought about gathering some of my cats hair to add to a decoy.
Michael

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
Use a tree-stand and put your decoy below and to the side of you---worked for me.  :bigsmyl:  

Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
Broadhead, sharp one.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Izzy:
Id stake out a live cat and build a brush blind within broadhead range.A judo will not do.If the cat is considered bait just hunt where your neighbors let em roam.
:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
Izzy,
Zradix thought you were joking...  :biglaugh:  

:archer2:  meow
Michael

Offline PA Bones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »
I called a coyote in using a turkey call on two seperate occasions this spring while hunting turkeys here in PA.  Both were shot with shotgun.  Maybe try a turkey call while concealed.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
Sharp Broadhead.
TGMM Family of The Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
PA Bones,
I thought about that, there are no turkey in my part of Washington but honestly, I don't think the coyote know that.  Would you recommend using a turkey decoy as well?
Michael

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »
The living is good (food wise) for yotes right now so they aren't roaming much now..you hit a pup in distress call and they'll come running.

I'd take someone with you to call, it will try to circle downwind before coming in..best of luck drawing he'll hit the after burners and be out of range before your mind tells your fingers to release..

You'd be better off contacting a good trapper if season is open...or just let the Yotes eat the wandering neighborhood cats in lieu of fawns.
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©