3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletch tape  (Read 1155 times)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletch tape
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
I use carbons for the most part and the tape works great. It took a bit of time and practice but now it's a snap. The tape sticks I don't have to worry about glue drying up  :)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
Ok for a quick repair and I do keep some around but I stick to glue when fletching up a new batch. Like Killie, they have a tendancy to slide around too much for me. I also like the Saunders NPV when I can get it.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
Mine stick but slide.   "[dntthnk]"

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
Mike,
Once you figure out how to get the backing off, you won't give it up.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
I've been using it for a few years now too.  Never had a problem.  I've lost arrows in the grass, found them a year or so later, the the tape still holds.  I can do a dozen arrows in no time at all.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
I love the stuff
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline ArcticArcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
I really like the tape. Used it in mo in the heat and humidity and now in AK in the bitter cold. No issues. One added suggestion is after the feather is on the shaft, run your finger down the feather to give it a good hold, then drop of glue at the ends.  Initially had the floating feather but no more.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud member of the Twister Twelve

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »
I like it! I've never had feathers slide with it either. I HATE waiting for glue to dry! The drop at each end seems to dry pretty quickly though. I can do several arrows in the time it used to take for the first fletch to dry with glue.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2010, 12:21:00 AM »
I must use to much helical or something because I have had problems with it sliding some.  It is a snap going on and I do all the prep and trick everyone says to use.  I put glue on both ends, but still had feathers fly right off the shaft shooting in teens to 20's this winter.  If they didn't fly off they were just holing on by the ends, and the tape was like cellophane wrap in that cold.  It curled right up, pealed off the feather and shaft clean, and had no stick at all in those temps.  Made it easy to reuse feathers I must say.  I don't have that with glue.  This was all on GT trad shafts.  I may try it again on some Beman shafts to see if there is a difference shooting then this summer.  I don't have problems with glue.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2010, 12:23:00 AM »
I'll never use glue again if the tape is available. The instant bond is so convenient, and I have never had one come off even in the hot humid swamp.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2010, 12:43:00 AM »
A big selling point about the tape seems to be the "drying" time.

I HATE fletching glues for that reason too. (I've only tried 2 or 3 kinds.)

If you like the "fast" tape, and still want a "fast" glue to anchor the front and back of the feather get the namebrand superglue GEL...it isn't instant but will be set in 10 seconds. You'll get the best of both worlds I suppose.

It's what I use to fletch the entire arrow...love the stuff.
 :thumbsup:
Micah 6:8

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2010, 12:59:00 AM »
I don't peel very well, so duco and multiple jigs and clamps is where it is at.

Offline jchunt4ever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2010, 06:49:00 AM »
I've tried it a few times and really don't see how its "quicker" at all, for me anyway. Maybe I'm just clumsy or haven't figured out the easy way  yet, but it takes me a lot of effort and time just to put the tape on the feather and not have it hanging over a side. It just always seems like I need at least one other hand. Then you've got to cut the tape and figure out how to peel the backing off all without peeling the whole bit of tape off the feather. By the time I get this all done, my nerves are shot.

Quite frankly, in the amount of time it takes me to do the above, I can have a bead of glue ran down a feather, the feather on the shaft, and the glue dried enough to remove the clamp and start on the next one. And of course I'll still be in a relaxed state, instead of all frustrated and full of anxiety.

Don't get me wrong, I think its a great idea and could possibly be a little quicker after you get a real good hang of it, but it just isn't for me.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
--Fred Bear

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2010, 08:30:00 AM »
Never had a problem with it!
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline stickbowhafe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
I liked the ease of it, but my arrows moved on me as well. What jigs are you guys using that love the tape? Mine's a jo jan.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
I use tape and a bitz jig.  NO problems as long as I prep the shaft correctly. I use tiny scissors to cut tape and an exacto knife to peel
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
I'll admit, fletch-tape is a dandy thing. Used it for two straight years, and loved it. Feathers almost never came off, yet it was easy to remove them without damaging the shaft. The bond was almost instant. Plus, after a few feathers, you get a definate technique down that makes the application so much easier than when you start.
That said, I'm currantly using Loc-tite gel super glue. Almost as quick and just as tough, plus no feather movement whatsoever. No matter what I did, or how I cleaned the shaft/feather, they always moved. Not as bad as some have experianced, just enough to turn a helical fletch into an offset...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline onemoreshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
The tape works for me.I always clean the shaft with alcohol before I start.Make sure the feather has made contact with the shaft before you remove the clamp.I found an arrow that had been in the ground for several months.The feathers were in bad shape but the tape was holdin like day one.

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
I've had good luck with the tape.  For me the extra time lining up and putting it in place is still way faster than using glue.  Also, the tape seems to stand up to more abuse.  I was really surprised by that.
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline Bush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2010, 05:39:00 PM »
I hated it at first, but now that I have fletched several dozen arrows with it...I love it.  I just scrape the red stuff sideways with my thumbnail once the sticky side is on the feather and it comes right off...no problems.  I didn't like the way the directions say to do it, because it left a little hanging off, an I had to hassle with cutting it off or it sticking to everything.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©