3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletch tape  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Rackman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletch tape
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »
Fletch tape is awesome! No messy glue, just dab a little fletch tite on end of feather.  No waiting for glue to set, much quicker once you get the hang of it.
Black Widow PSAV 55@28

Offline 36bound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
Regarding the issue of feathers slipping- try this; using a very small (thin) flat blade screw driver press down on the quill in several places along its length BEFORE removing the clamp. After the clamp is removed (open it WIDELY taking care not to bump the fletching), take your thumb nail and run it down the full length of the quill several times making an effort to press straight down.

This technique will ensure that your feathers will not slip no matter how small the diameter of the shaft or how severe the helical twist.

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
I recently started using the tape and love it.Haven't had a feather come off since.Best thing since sliced bread in my book.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2010, 12:34:00 AM »
I am compulsive.
I ran all kinds of tools and fingers down the lip of the quill as well as directly mashing down the barbs as I ran a finger own its length. I cleaned my aluminum with acetone. I put glue at both ends, different glues, too.

They crawled.

I have used three rolls of fletch tape.
I will give any and all partials away at the next shoot I attend, if I still have any in my possession.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2010, 12:37:00 AM »
I didn't have much luck with it either. My feathers kept coming off so, I won't be using it anymore. Duco is the way to go for me.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline 36bound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2010, 07:21:00 AM »
Killdeer,

I think your first few rolls of fletch tape must have went back and told all the other rolls of fletch tape how you have been dissin' them and now they're all funnin' with you.   :)  

Kidding aside, I'm stumped. I don't Know if one brand is better than another or what? As I mentioned in my first post, everyone has their own preference and it's all good. I think it's noteworthy to mention that most noted arrowsmiths still use glue.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2010, 08:23:00 AM »
We always used glue at the archery shop where I worked part time for a number of years. We (already) had the multiple fletching jigs and could have one 1/2 dzn drying while setting up another jig of 6. But at the same time, as I said in my earlier post, I had  just the single Bitzenburg at home and I switched to tape there, as soon as it appeared on the market, for my personal and (some) friends arrows. I think I was also fed up with gluing all those feathers/vanes though - LOL
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
Well.....there certainly doesn't seem to be any middle ground on this one (just like previous threads on the topic)......you either love it    :) ...or hate it    :mad:

I happen to be on the "love it" side.......or at least until I ran out of my "stash".  I had the paper-backed tape that came in the small plastic case (BTW - does anyone know who actually made that fletching tape?).  Best stuff in the world and fletching stayed put.....always!

I have no complaints about the Bohning stuff with red plastic backing as far holding the fletching (yet! - minimal experience).  It is a royal pain in as far as how difficult it is to get to separate from the glue. I should not have to require an exacto knife to do that task!!!  It almost negates the benefits.

WHO made the paper-backed tape in the plastic case?  If it was Bohning, they need some serious feedback on change management.......if it was another company, they need to get off their duffs and get more product in the shops!!!!!

BTW - does anyone have any of the old tape with paper-backing????  If you hate it, send it my way!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
If you don't have finger nails it would be more difficult. One trick I do is tap the end of the tape to the jig then it bends over and it is easier to separate the backing.
I love the stuff and see no reason to go back to slow messy glue.

Leg
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2010, 12:00:00 AM »
I found it is like tying a new knot,all thumbs at first.I like the ease of replacing feathers,much easier removal and a LOT less work getting the arrow ready to refletch.I even repaired a friends arrow at a shoot a few weeks back.Replaced a damaged feather just by eyeballing it no jig.If you are not satisfied peel it off retape, stick it on again all in less than five minutes.Try that with glue.My advice,use what you are comfortable with but don't be tentative to try new techniques.
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »
I tried every method mentioned on here and the front and back of my feathers could still slide side to side no matter what  ;)  It may be good enough for some, but it definitely does not hold as well as a top-quality glue.

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
I've used the tape for years and obviously like it. I had a difficult time with it at first ,,, until I watched a kid do it.   :saywhat:  Then I perfected his technique a bit and here I are.

one tip to keep the tape from sliding; once fletched, place that arrows in front of an air conditioner to cool it off, then repress the feather down. They seem to stay in place better.

I doan think it works as good with helical fletches.
ncboman

Have Bow >>>-------> Will Travel

Offline illianabowhntr67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
I just started fletching my own arrows recently and tried the tape.I haven't had a feather fall off yet.Also I've only fletched gold tips and easton carbons.It is however a little slower than glueing for me.

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
I had issues with the fletch coming off after a few dozen shots.  Maybe the tape didn't like my wraps, but I don't know.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline Islandlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
I like Fletch tape. I use a Jojan fletching jig with maximum helical. I place the feather in the clamp, apply the tape, cut it the exact length with scissors and the run the back of the blade a few times over the red backing before lifting it off. I place the clamp on the the jig, pressing firmly. I've used the tape on carbon, aluminum and wood with no problems.

Jerry
Procrastination is the thief of time.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
I kind of wonder how many that like the tape use a lot of helical.  Also what shaft type, wrap or not, and prep system for the shaft.

So far I only use them on carbon, no wrap, and have used alcohol to clean.  I get the curl mostly at the back of the feather and winter blow off.  I just got some acetone to see if that does the trick and makes for better stick.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
Some things I've found about fletching tape:

I do like the tape for testing the fletching clamp position on my jig, and for flu-flus that have cap dip and cresting (I shoot a lot of flu-flus and the feathers get worn so it's not hard to renew the fletches when they're taped)

If a fletching base isn't ground absolutely square, I've found them to 'lean' a tad when using tape.
Glue lets a fletch lay into the shaft and set up nice and perpendicular.

Also - when using helical, a fletching wants to 'slide' sideways a bit as it settles into position and this sliding cannot occur when using tape. I won't use tape for good hunting arrows.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
love me some fletch tape.  Once you figure out how to get the backing off, it is the best thing since sliced bread.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
for me, it's too stupid easy to use fletch tape and i've completely switched over.  there is a knack to using it, but once acquired you wouldn't even dream of going back to the goop.  i should do a video on how i tape fletch ... soon ... eventually ... maybe ... (where does all the time go????).    :dunno:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2010, 11:52:00 PM »
The first time I used it, I thought I can never use this stuff. However after decideing I will not let it defeat me I figured it out and would never use glue again. Send it to me and I will be happy to use it. The one downside of it is that it is expensive and no one carries it locally so I have to order it and pay shipping also.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©