3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how to hunt pronghorn  (Read 207 times)

Offline jtwalsh62

• Trad Bowhunter
how to hunt pronghorn
« on: June 11, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
I will be hunting Colorado opening day midlle of Aug . I know it is blind or fence crossing  but what time is the best time to get in blind
jt walsh
 be still and listen

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: how to hunt pronghorn
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
It is best to be there before daylight to keep from running them out of the area. They might come back or others come in but I try to not spook them if I can help it. It makes for long days that time of year but it helps if you can see some all day.
Good luck,
 Mike

Offline djohnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
Go in before daylight. You may see things you won't see later in the day. Take plenty of water.
John 3:16

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 09:24:00 AM »
I agree with ever thing that is posted above, Just remember this saying (stick and stay and make them pay) go in at dark and leave at dark.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Pack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
Watch out for snakes!  We use to have lots of run-ins with rattlesnakes to and from our blinds.  I even knew guys that had them in a blind when they got there in the morning.

Offline arrowflinger1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
Take some books, magazines, Ipod and some snacks and fluids to sit all day.....Find an active water hole if you can, fence crossings can be good but if its hot and dry....Water is the key. You will be succesful. Ive seen so many things from birds to badgers. Its awesome on the prairie. Enjoy the experience,,,,

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
Yes, get in early. I have had many pronghorns come to water right at the crack of light.

Bring plenty to drink. I like a six pack size cooler with a Mt. Dew, three bottles of water, and two Gater-ades. I will freeze the Gater-ades and one bottle of water the night before. That will keep your drinks cold all day, and a Gater-ade slushy is awefully good in the hot afternoons.

Bring a couple of your favorite magazines and/or a book. Great time to catch up on reading.

In 18 years of pronghorn hunting, I have yet to have a rattler in the blind. We shovel dirt all around the bottom of the blind to keep them out, plus it helps with wind flap.

Have a good hunt.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Ron+dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
set up by water before daylight and yes bring plenty of your own water its hot out here that time of year
>>>--------> <--------<<<
" the happiness that is found sleeping under tents is unbelievable. one night in tents is worth three in town" -bruce chatwin in far journeys

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©