3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SO it begins . . . (fall 2010 season!!!)  (Read 229 times)

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
SO it begins . . . (fall 2010 season!!!)
« on: June 11, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
Welp, its been on my mind.  I've been afeild alot lately, mainly groundhog hunting, but some were strictly "scouting" walks.  I live in the country, and right around me is alot of farm land.  Most spots I can hunt, but alot have restrictions, such as small game only(other hunters beat me to the punch).  I dont mind cause I like to do most of my deer hunting out in the mountains.  BUT I have been thinking of hunting a bit around here, it is much closer to home, lol.

So this "pasture" right across the road behind my neighbors houses is one of those spots I can hunt, I can hunt anything back there.  But in the past years it has had cows in it.  So the deer would stay kinda further away.  But the cows are no longer there, and will never be there again.  The grass is getting HIGH, trees are starting to grow, along with honey suckles and other shrubs.

Some spots are mowed, not religiously but it isnt chest high like the rest of the grass.  

Tonight I decided to take my 22 for a walk.  Got to one of the clearings where the whisle pigs like to graze, and bamb!

There is a deer about 200 yards out, I thought man that thing looks like its got some big ears . . . threw up the scope- nice 8 point in velvet, not fully formed!!!!  It was already as wide as its ears, with big ole nobs on the ends!!!!  I was already thinking of planting a little food plot back there, thought I could try to take a doe or two, figured worst case scenerio is that the plot helps out the already fluroshing squirrel pop.

So I dont have pictures quite yet, but I will be walking with my camera from now on!!!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: SO it begins . . . (fall 2010 season!!!)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 03:34:00 AM »
Good for you. Sounds like you may have a good reason to stay near home. Post pics when you get some. Are other folks hunting the area?

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
yup there are alot of other folks hunting the area.  BUT they dont know how to hunt without a rifle, so the early part of the season is mine!!!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline virginiashadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
Best of luck to you Chris, I am eagerly awaiting the upcoming deer season as well.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
The antisipation is one of the biggest things.  I love the 3 months leading up to bow season for deer.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
My buddy checked in with me yesterday, four buck running together on his property, one real nice one. He has a ladder stand set up for me. It is nice to get old and have old buddies lookin out.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©