3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wall tent vs pyramid  (Read 696 times)

Offline mrgreenhead

• Trad Bowhunter
wall tent vs pyramid
« on: June 12, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
I want one but know wich one to buy any put would be great. Whos got the best one

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wall tent vs pyramid
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »
I've got one of the pyramid type made by Dave Ellis (google Dave Ellis Tent and you'll get a bunch of hits).  I love mine-it's a 12'x12' which offers a lot of room inside.  I think it all depends on what exactly you want out of the tent.

How are you going to be camping?  Will you have the ability to take in all the frame poles for the wall tent or will you need a little lighter setup?  Do you want something with an enclosed floor (which I got mine with)?  How many people do you plan on sleeping in it?  Do you want it to be cylinder stove compatible (seen both tents able to do it, but think the wall tent would be better set up for that)?

Anyway, I'm really enjoying mine for camping and it should do great for me this fall for hunting.  Super easy to set up and stands up to the weather pretty nice, too.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 05:39:00 PM »
They each have their own advantages.  Actually, I just gave Tom Colstad of Trad Archers World an article I wrote about this exact subject.  Hope he likes it and it may be in the fall issue.

There are a number of factors to consider, and some of it depends on how you wish to use your tent.  Personally, I have the pyramid and love it, and most people that have stayed in it feel the same way.

Pyramids set up easily, are great in high wind and rain, and are just really cool looking!  :cool:  

Wall tents make great use of available floor space.  If you might camp with more than 3 people in the tent the wall is going to be more comfortable and can be had in larger sizes.

There are lots more factors to consider, but again, it would help to know exactly what you might use it for.  

Feel free to give me a call anytime.  Are you going to Compton or Denton Hill?  I will have mine there.  Also check out the canvas tents on my website from the link below.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline mrgreenhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
well  i hunt mostly with myself and sometime a guest but stove is needed always rains . as for pole i like to cut them in the woods but i can carry them in if need be . I also will use in the adk when im trapping so i might need to put in the canoe . Im leaning towards the pramid but not sure where im going to get it from .Im having a stove being built .

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
I'll pick the pyramid every time!

I've owned a few over the years and my favorite was a 14x14 that I had two doors sewn in.

I could put canopies on each side. The front was like a family area and the back was the kitchen/cooking area.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline stickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
I have a 10x10 pyramid by panther primitives great for me a cot my gear I sometimes take my son and we make out alright but a 12x12 would be my choice if I did it over but I got  the smaller on for weight reasons.for one man it is really great and I am very happy with panther.

Offline stickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
I have a 10x10 pyramid by panther primitives great for me a cot my gear I sometimes take my son and we make out alright but a 12x12 would be my choice if I did it over but I got  the smaller on for weight reasons.for one man it is really great and I am very happy with panther.

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
Once nice thing for you packing a tent in, with a pyramid you wouldn't have to cut poles or anything.  As long as you have a tree around, take some rope, attach to the apex, and toss it over a limb.  I got some of those Army tent stakes at a surplus store which have worked great (and cheap).  Easy packing, especially if in a canoe like you're talking about.  Just my $.02.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
For two people a 12x12 makes a great camp.  Still plenty of room for a stove, and even cots if you want them.  Like gudspelr said, a pyramid can be set with no poles, so that not only saves having to cut a tree, it also frees up floor space in the center of the tent.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline mrgreenhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
What the advantages of the t pee door vs the plain door in a pyramid? Whip are you left handed . Ive got a few lefthanded custom flint rifles for a tent .

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 11:52:00 PM »
No I'm not left handed.  Probably a good thing too, because I would be sorely tempted.  Been kind of thinking a smooth bore needs a spot in my gun cabinet.  ;)    

I like the tipi door better myself because it sheds rain better than a standard door.  (I've not tried the standard door myself, so that is just my theory anyway)  

With the tipi door you just lift it up and step in and it drops back into place.  It has pockets sewn in which you put sticks in to act as stiffeners.  

With the standard door I'm thinking you would need to tie and untie it all the time if you want it closed completely during colder weather.  

Another question I am often asked is whether the second door is necessary.  I have a second door in my tent and very rarely use it.  Normally end up with a cot set up in front of it.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Bald Spot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 02:32:00 AM »
This is an interesting discussion from a guy who has always used wall tents (and loved every minute of it), but never a pyramid.

Offline Groundpounder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 06:53:00 AM »
i have a panther primitive, what you guys are calling pyramids we always just called one polers. i like them the best they are easy to set up and i also drilled a few holes in the pole for placement of pegs for hanging things. mine also has a nice awning attached to the front that can be set up with two more small poles or by tieing them off to nearby tree branches.there have been times when ive camped by myself i only pegged down the corners and set the pole.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 07:27:00 AM »
Groundpounder brings up another good subject to consider - the fly.  Flys are are great addition to a tent, both pyramid or wall.  They provide a place to cook without being inside the tent (not recommended in bear country), a dry place to store gear, and a dry/shady spot to hang out during the day without having to be cooped up inside the tent.  I spend more time under my fly than I do inside the tent on just about every trip.

For a pyramid there are two types of flys to consider.  The one that is normally listed as an option with the tent ties directly to the tent above the door and is staked out with two poles on the outside corners.  It does provide some shelter just outside the door and is quick to set up.

The type I prefer is a full size dining fly that is set using a ridge pole and side stakes. The tent needs to be ordered with a hole above the door to accomodate the ridge pole which then slides through the hole and ties in to the center support.  This type of fly gives you a much larger protected area out front.  The downside is more poles and longer set up time, but in my mind if I will be at the spot for more than a day or two is well worth the extra effort.

Here are pictures of both types.  

This is my home away from home.

The standard hunter tent fly.

A wall tent with a dining fly attached.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline mrgreenhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »
whip i sent you some eye candy

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2010, 08:41:00 AM »
I used the word "canopy" in place of"fly" in my 1st reply. I intentionally struggled to come up with it because I was afraid that there would be folks reading that wouldn't know what I was talking about if I used the common rendezvous name for it.
I also might have gotten accused of drawing flies..lol

I used both of my doors(Tipi style) in the heat of summer to allow air movement through the lodge. I found it very helpful in getting a better sleep on hot, muggy nights.

Groundpounder is absolutely correct! The center pole is an excellent way of getting some stuff up and out of the way. Pegs and lantern holders place way up the pole gives you a good spot to hang stuff you want to dry out quickly since that's where most of your heat is and over head light is very beneficial plus you don't have to worry about knocking it over and setting your home on fire. If you have small children in your camp as I often did,this becomes even more important. (IMHO)

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
Are the flies sewn on or tied on or.... I have a pyramid type tent that I'd like to add one on. Thanks.
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
The style that I use (in the first picture) goes over a ridge pole.  You need a hole sewn into the tent above the door in which to insert the ridge pole.  

The second style ties on above the door and needs a flap and ties sewn into the tent.  

If your tent is not set up for either option you can have it done at any place that sews canvas.  Check for places that do boat covers, awnings, etc. and they should be able to fix you up.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »
Thanks Whip! I'll check into that. Hopefully they have white canvas too.
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
Panther will sell canvas by the yard if they don't have what you need.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©