3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gotta love springtime scouting!  (Read 451 times)

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
Gotta love springtime scouting!
« on: May 06, 2007, 03:19:00 PM »
A friend of my fathers told me he had a mess of hogs running his property and told me I was welcome to hunt hogs out there any time I wanted, in exchange for a hindquarter or shoulder off a pig. Figured that was a fair trade, so I grabbed my bow and camera and did some scouting this morning.

Halfway across a big hayfield, I interrupted a couple of these turtles having a love in. I know how much I hate to be interrupted in situations like this, so I snapped a quick picture, and left them to finish up. I think this is what we call Three Toed Box Turtles in this area.

Towards the edge of that same field, closer to the creek bottom, I stumbled across this pair of Monarch butterflys loving it up as well. By then I started getting a little jealous.

Got down to the creek bottom and a found a high speed trail that ran along side the creek, below the edge of the hayfield. Perfect ambush point along that trail. Can see both ways, wind rarely a factor, and not too brushy off the trail. Recent rain had washed most the tracks off the trail, but I did find a single set of hog tracks, unfortunately still not very fresh. On my way back, I did find a several sets of tiny piggy tracks, along with a few larger ones. Probably a momma and babies or a mixed group.

All the way back to the truck, and all the way home, I was picking ticks off me and flicking them out the window!  I picked 7 off me on the way home, 3 more in the shower, and these were 3 that I found that managed to survived getting rinsed down the drain.  They just didn't want to leave me. I don't blame them either. I bet I taste pretty good! Probably a mixture of steamed crawdads and Little Debbie snackcakes!  

Enjoy the pics!  

Cam

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gotta love springtime scouting!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 03:20:00 PM »
NICE!!  Love the turtles, Would make a great Avatar..

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gotta love springtime scouting!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
I wish I had more pigs up here in michigan would love to hunt them other than on a ranch!!!
St. Joe River Bows

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©