3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help!-KME broadhead sharpener?? SUCCESS!!  (Read 278 times)

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
Help!-KME broadhead sharpener?? SUCCESS!!
« on: June 14, 2010, 01:56:00 AM »
Anyone have tips to get a shaving edge using the KME?  I can get the edge almost there, but not to the point of hair popping (or shaving for that matter).  I have watched the video and don't see what I'm doing differently.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help!-KME broadhead sharpener?? SUCCESS!!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 05:39:00 AM »
I dont have a KME yet, but my experience with helping people with other systems is that they are pushing way too hard. Assuming you have a bevel estsblished, try lightening up a little.

Offline lil jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 06:17:00 AM »
Uncle Buck is correct.  95% of the time that is the answer to this question.  Light to no pressure is all that is needed to finish the broadhead.  We had several people stop this weekend at Cloverdale and when they try the broadhead sharpener out they push it down with all their weight thinking "more" is better.  Not in this case.  
You didn't mention what broadhead you were using.  This may need addressed as well.  Some are easier than others.  Try to lightnen up and if that doesn't help please give us a call.
I dont hunt to live, I live to hunt... It's better to be the preditor than the prey

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 07:33:00 AM »
Are you sharpening a single bevel or double?  Too much pressure at the end could be the problem.  Just use light strokes at the end and go to the fine stone.  For a single bevel, hone until you have a burr on the full edge, not just on part of the edge.  A full burr means that the entire edge is aligned and all you need is some light honing to take the burr off and smooth the edge out.  I've been sharpening some Grizzleys this weekend - though it takes time to get a burr on these very hard heads, once I do I know I am almost done.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
Guys, I'm the founder of "Sharpening Impaired Anonymous".

The simplest mistake we all make, and especially true w/ the KME system, was not sticking with the coarsest stone until the head is SHARP!

You do NOTHING to make it sharper than it was coming off the coarsest stone. From there, you just polish what you got.

Go back to the coarse stone! Keep at it... When you feel the burr on one side...then you're at a good point. (edge?)  :)

If it's single bevel, just run the other side enough to remove the burr...then do the same thing with the medium and then fine stones.

If it's double bevel, then you have to repeat the process on the opposite side and go for the burr.

Go back to the coarse!  :)  

btw, KME just got in some new, hot dog red stones that are the BOMB. Saw them at B'more and they are GREAT aggressive and medium stones...I think they're going to replace the two sided one that came with the BH sharpener, but not 100% sure on that... I got some. Now for new heads!  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
Doh...cross posted, Jake. Sorry. But that not staying w/ the coarse is what Ron and I discussed he finds guys doing also...

...still learning.  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
Also take Your time... Going to fast will dull the edge. Shaving sharp isn't a race..

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
I use the KME until a good edge then go to a strop with jewelers rouge. Speeds up the process.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
I'm working on several different BH's but mostly the STOS double bevels.  So, go back to the coarse stone, slow down, and lighten up, I'll give it a go and let you know what happens.

Doc Noc-Where do you have meetings for those who need SIA?  I'll be there double time!

Thanks for the info!

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 01:02:00 AM »
My problem  a while back was exactly what Doc Nock said, not staying on the course stone until it is really sharp. Once I did that I was getting things really sharp.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 03:53:00 AM »
After reading the responses and taking the info to heart, SUCCESS!  Using the coarse stone, I raised a burr on one edge, flipped it, and with just a couple strokes, took the burr off.  Then on to the fine stone for a few light strokes and WOW, sharp!  Just in time too, as there are some pigs waiting for me to test my new found sharpening prowness on, LOL!  Thanks again for the help.   :thumbsup:

Offline Lonala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 04:42:00 AM »
How big a knife can be sharpened with this sharpener?Thanks
Grizzly Stik Qarbon Nano QN2 53#@28 64"
Wesley Speacial 64" 58@27
Vixen 66"55#@28

Offline Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 06:05:00 AM »
Excellent report.

Lonala.... a blade about 10 in length can be done without re-clamping.  I have done a Buck brand Buckmaster survival knife without re-clamping.
Give us a call if you have any questions.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 06:51:00 AM »
The KME's really do the job, that's for sure!  Just some of the little details make a big difference - sounds like you've got it figured out  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
Whip, you nailed an important thing there...

In all the time Ron invested in coaching me, one thing I learned is that there are sublte nuances of small things that make HUGE differences!

SS, congrats! feels good, doesn't it?  :)  As for meetings, any kitchen table or workbench across the globe works for meeting places! We conference call or can use Skype!   :knothead:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
The thing he taught me was to cut the top off of a regular cardboard box.  When you have completed the sequence on the stones.  Wipe off the broadhead, get the oil off  and drag it backwards on that card board. Three strokes on one side flip, three strokes on the other.  It make my broadheads scary sharp.

Billy
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
Make sure you are marking your uncut edge with a black permanent marker each time so you can see when the coarse and finer stones remove the proper amount of metal to form the new angle and then the subsequent grades of polishing.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
We'll be at Comptons for anyone that wants to stop and see for yourselves.  We will try to answer all questions and hope you leave with a new found confidence in getting things scary sharp.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©