3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: World Deer Hunting Competition Begins...  (Read 705 times)

Offline Trad-Man

• Trad Bowhunter
World Deer Hunting Competition Begins...
« on: June 14, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
Turning hunting into a competition.  We all saw it back in 2006 with the WHA out of Michigan.  Well...the next contestant has just stepped up to the plate and it looks like Bass Pro is behind this one.  They have gone really high tech this time.

If you think you've seen it all, read this:

Pro deer hunting tour starting

TULSA, OK – The American Whitetail Authority has announced the creation of the only professional whitetail deer hunting competition in the world — the Whitetail Pro Series. By way of four regional qualifying events held throughout the country, participating hunters will earn points based on their performance in the field. The top hunters from each regional will then compete in a championship event to crown the best deer hunter in the world.

To launch this exciting endeavor, the American Whitetail Authority is searching for the country’s premier deer hunters. To find the man or woman most suited to wearing the world-champion crown, the American Whitetail Authority will send representatives across the country, a journey of more than 11,000 miles with stops at two dozen Bass Pro Shops stores, to interview applicants and search for the most respected and accomplished hunters known throughout the cities and areas they visit. AWA officials are scheduled to be in Illinois on Tuesday, July 20.

“We’re looking for the best hunters, men or women, that this country can produce,” said Koch. “We want to find those guys that are known as great hunters in their community—those that have the experience, knowledge and ability to put a mature whitetail down year after year regardless of the weather, moon position, hunting pressure or in the face of any other obstacle most hunters use as an excuse.”

The American Whitetail Authority’s Whitetail Pro Series will consist of four events scattered throughout the country. Each event will host 10 hunters, with the top hunters from each event moving on to compete in the AWA World Championship. The top performer in the AWA World Championship will have deservedly earned the title as the best hunter in the country.

“Winning this thing will require that a hunter have more than luck on his side. Anyone can get lucky and happen to stumble into a big buck, but to win this you’re going to have to have multiple deer encounters every day for three days straight and then repeat the performance in the championship,” said Koch.

The 40 most worthy applicants, which will meet specific criteria and will be selected by the AWA, will be invited to participate in one of four designated regional Whitetail Pro Series competitions. Each regional event will host 10 hunters that will compete in a five-day deer hunt on a predetermined piece of property. The top two hunters, as determined by a formulaic-scoring system based upon the evaluations of expert judges, will move on to compete in the AWA World Championship—the winner of which will be crowned world champion.

The American Whitetail Authority will use state-of-the-art technology to carry out competitions. Each hunter will be equipped with a digital scope on their rifle and when a blank shot is fired, it will capture a digital image of the deer, crosshair placement and shot distance. At the end of each day’s competition, hunters can submit a maximum of five images of different deer for scoring. Competitors will then be ranked according to total points amassed over the multi-day event.

By using digital scopes, hunters can experience a realistic hunt without harming the deer in any way. The digital image and associated information allows hunters to record a “virtual kill” for scoring. And because no shot is actually fired and deer aren’t harvested, competitions can be held before, after or even between most states’ various hunting seasons and with the absence of harvest restrictions.

While friendly competition and entertainment are the focus of the Whitetail Pro Series, education, conservation, ethical sportsmanship and sound management practices are the founding ideals of the American Whitetail Authority. Participating hunters will reveal successful tactics to the benefit of every hunter in America, while firearm safety, shot selection and age class of deer will all factor into the scoring formula.

Every Whitetail Pro Series event will be recorded and available for viewing on the AWA website, as will video tips and tactics from participants and industry professionals. Read more about the tour here:

http://awapro.com/   http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/images/uploads/AWA_Prospectus.pdf

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: World Deer Hunting Competition Begins...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 11:09:00 PM »
Tell them that Mudd says "Thanks but no thanks!"

Nuff said.......about that!

But I do appreciate your bringing this to the forefront so we can see what the general public is going to be exposed to down the road.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Wildschwein

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
Yeesh! Whats next? Crap like this is nuthin but bad press.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
Start up the e-mails all!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure thats how we stumped the WHA when they tried their crap.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »
This will not turn out well. For any hunter.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with the old stand-by big buck contest, but this is a load of garbage.  I can't think of a single one of "the best hunters an area can produce" that would even apply for this circus. The best hunters I know usually shun the celebrity status even locally.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 12:11:00 AM »
ANYTHING FOR $$$ SAD

Offline cohutta orange

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 12:16:00 AM »
I think I'm starting to get sick.
Shoot straight and keep the heads keen

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 01:01:00 AM »
I just sent a complaint to the Bass Pro Shop customer service department from their website.
Let's flood the mail box!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 01:31:00 AM »
Gregg, I like your comment. That is why a true great hunter will not be the winner of some thing like this. I guess some people just have to do any thing to get that "fame" attached to their persona. This not a good thing for hunting. I just wonder what some people are thinking, other then money, when they start some thing like this. Well.... Stupid is as stupid does.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 01:43:00 AM »
This very bad idea comes up about every two or three years (from the same bunch I suppose).

It never makes. You would think that as many people as have been burned by investing in this bad idea, there wouldn't be anyone left willing to loose their money on it.

Of course we need to let the sponsors know our opinions on this, but I think somebody sold someone a "bill of goods"... again.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 05:37:00 AM »
They see people supporting the Drury Bros competition in droves. It's a good business move.

I was told by an executive at a big New York Marketing company. emails are a nusance. Type out a letter and mail it. Much more effective.

I'm gonna do both.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline James on laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 05:44:00 AM »
Well at least they are just taking pictures this time.I am sure there will be plenty of guys lined up trying to make a name for themselves.They will have no trouble getting there hunters.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 06:55:00 AM »
That's a good point Biggie - I'll do the same.  They don't receive many personally written letters and I'll bet those do receive more attention.

James, sadly, I know you are right - there will be plenty of people hoping to cash in on this.  I know a bunch of good hunters though, and I'll bet you a dollar to a donut it won't be anyone I know that does it.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 07:18:00 AM »
"[dntthnk]"  another bad idea!

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 07:29:00 AM »
It is disgusting.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 07:35:00 AM »
E_mails, letters, and phone calls. Politely state your concerns about such a contest IE giving more ammo to anti's because if the "best hunters" can be satisfied with a photo why shouldn't everyone be, etc. Also let them know that if they pursue such a contest you want to be removed from their catalog and e-mail lists and plan to take your business elsewhere.

This is a photography contest and calling it hunting is disingenuous.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPageC?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&lf=&pageID=4452&CMID=CUSTSERV_CALLUS
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Trad-Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 07:42:00 AM »
They have a facebook page...oddly enough it is set up so you can't leave a written comment.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 07:48:00 AM »
I will only participate when you have to catch em by hand while your in the nude.If they want adversity this will show a bit.For this they can get realtree to sponsor the fuzzy areas that block  out the things that you really dont want to see on TV.For the rest of the exposed skin a contestant can rent out add space.No permanone allowed!!!  :scared:

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
SO it looks like a great deal of who is behind this is the B.A.S.S. Tour.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©