3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tapered ash arrows  (Read 199 times)

Offline 18thcentman

• Trad Bowhunter
tapered ash arrows
« on: June 15, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
Hello all, I am interested in your opinion on using a tapered ash shaft with 5 inch feathers,using a 145 grain broadhead. I currently use 5-1/2 inch feathers on my ash, using a 160 grain broadhead.They shoot good, but they drop fast. Am I splitting hairs? Should I just leave it alone and stay with the bigger feathers and heavier tips? Will the 5 inch feathers stabilize a 145 grain head? I am using a 49# recurve.
Living the Dream

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tapered ash arrows
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
I shoot 160 gr heads with 5" parabolics and they fly great.There are guys who shoot heavy heads with 4".How far out do they start to drop? whats you average hunting shot distance?
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
I say get some arrows built that fly better. That drop would be completely unacceptable to me.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
Brian,
      The idea is to get a practice(3-d) arrow close in weight to what you are going to be hunting with. If you are going to be pushing a broadhead in the 160 gr area then you are good to go. Your setup there has to be easily over 600 grs,which is plenty for your bow weight.

If you plan to go with a 145 gr head then get some field tips at that weight. You will pick up some distance right there.

As far as fletching goes, it is the steering wheel of the arrow. A broadhead is harder to steer than a field pt. Your 5.5 might be an advantage there. Good shooting my friend,
                                         Craig

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
Five-inch feathers are plenty to stabilize a 145 or 160 grain head.  Dropping a little point weight and reducing feather size will improve the trajectory slightly.  Ash is just a heavy wood and you're shooting a heavy arrow.  If you canlive with the trajectory, it will be powerful medicine on game.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
There is nothing wrong with 5.5 inch fletch if you like it, but it shouldn't be necessary.  5" fletch will stabilize any arrow as long as it is well tuned to the bow and the broadhead is mounted straight.  I doubt that you will notice any real speed or trajectory improvement by dropping just 15 grains of point weight and a little bit of fletching.  Ash makes a decent arrow, but it will also be a heavy arrow.  I find I can get good arrow weight and great flight with Doug Fir.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »
I'm with Rick on this one...you're probably better off with a lighter arrow wood for most applications...especially since you don't like the drop you're seeing with Ash.
Craig

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
I love the heavy weight that my tapered ash provides and as far as the drop goes it's like anything else, train the brain and it all FALLS into place.

Offline 18thcentman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
Thanks for the input. I like the ash and want to stick with it. I was just curious as to the effect a smaller feather would have on a 160 vs. 145 grains.I think I will stay with the heavier broadhead and keep practicing. Thanks guys.
Living the Dream

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©