3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk in Virginia!!!!  (Read 329 times)

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk in Virginia!!!!
« on: June 15, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »
Looks like we might be getting elk here in Va. soon. They are talking about stocking 200 elk in Buchanan, Dickerson and Wise counties... With a projected 1200 elk herd over the next 12 years?? Can it be possible that I will finally get a chance to elk hunt in my life time????!!!!!!   :clapper:
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk in Virginia!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »
When do they plan to introduce grey wolves?

Reckon it might curtail the future bowhunt!

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline David Sapp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
I thought that you could already legally hunt elk in VA if the elk in KY hiked over the border? Wasn't there a "shoot at will" clause a few years ago on KY elk in VA due to VA wildlife resource folks being worried about the spread of disease?

It's hard to not think that other states aren't considering stocking elk in Appalachia with the success of the KY herd and the growing TN herd. Not to mention PA's herd up north in the Yankee held portion of the Appalachians.

:bigsmyl:  

Kidding about the Yankees, I married a PA gal who is a self proclaimed and proud Yankee.  

David
Hunting with the bow and arrow involves earning your way by making meat, getting your hands messy in the process and then recognizing your own reflection upon them.
"The Squirrel Chronicles"
Dean Torges

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
Yep. Any elk that came over the border was fair game. But now the Va. Game and Fish folks are talking about stocking 200.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 03:18:00 AM »
What a great animal to have in your state. Good to see   :thumbsup:

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 03:26:00 AM »
FRom what I saw on their web site it is still in the planning stages??? But I am very excited about it. I can't even imagine going to the Rough Mountain Rondavous and hearing elk bugle.... Even just seeing one in the wild would be so great!!!  :jumper:

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 05:25:00 AM »
I wish our state would wake up and  smell the coffee/elk . I have witnessed seeing the elk in KY and have to say WOW . The coal fields of southern WV will hold a substantial herd, but no way here it might actually work .

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 05:37:00 AM »
Jack, the counties they are talking about stocking are right on the border with WV. Can't see how some wont wonder over there??? Now if a person would start blowing smoke at the WV Game and Fish to protect any elk that cross??? Well you might get them before you know it.???.. At no cost to the state???

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 05:38:00 AM »
Yeah I've been hoping to go down to where my wifes families are at in Wise co. & just see one of the Ky. Elk.

I also heard that Va. is conciddering making it a tag in it's self instead of including Elk in the Deer tag.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 07:20:00 AM »
They are in NC as well - cuorse on the extreme far side of the State from where I am located - actually almost the farthest point.

J

PS you can hunt elk in your lifetime????? plenty of em out west - just gotta make your mind up to do so.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline KentuckyWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
About time! Kentucky's herd is a HUGE success. High reproductive rate (lots of twining), very high survivorship, higher body weights (typically 100 lbs heaver that their western counterparts), maturing faster too (lots of young bulls skipping "spike" stage).

Yea gotta love a region with high primary productivity.
Black Widow PSA III 54@28
Black Widow PLX 54@28

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
When I worked a job in Wise County several years ago (new dam for Big Stone Gap), a man on the jobsite killed a bull at his farm on the border with KY, as he had the year prior.  That year, I spent over $1500, put severaL thousand miles on my truck, and used 10 days of vacation time to travel to WY for an elk hunt, and he killed one in his hay field right down the road for "free".
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline the force

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 11:07:00 PM »
The elk wouldnt last long in wv with all the dumb people we have runnin around during gun season
Hoyt Tiburon

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 01:55:00 AM »
I've been putting in for an elk hunt for several years. Hopefully one day, they pull my name out of the 'ole hat. Good luck with everything over there.

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 08:13:00 AM »
Force I have hunted there and agree. Glad you said it instead of me I don't live there. At a shoot recently heard several fellows complaining of all the poaching of whitetails.LCH

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 04:17:00 PM »
Years ago they were planning on releasing elk in Catskill park in NY butthen came the cwd scares and that was the end of that.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 04:43:00 AM »
My belief is if they do release the elk in WV and Va. that they should( by lottery or lics.) drumm up enough cash to add 3-4 game wardens to each county. and make the fines for killing one so high you would have to be nuts to poach one... I think that would curtail most of the problems???

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 05:39:00 AM »
Thomas we already are getting some over here from Ky.
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Bent Rig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
Several yrs back NY was thinking about introducing ELK in the Montezuma Wild Life Refuge - it 's a perfect place for them - being that most Elk that were around were plains animals .  ;)
Paul

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2010, 12:06:00 PM »
My wife was lucky enough to draw a bull tag here in KY last year, she killed a 2 1/2 year old 4x4 that made 290# processed meat! She shot him on opening day rifle season, 150 yds with a .270, neck shot dropped at the shot. Field biologist aged and did tissue samples, estimated live weight around #800, was mud fat. The local people sure dont like them in eastern KY, they help the economy, but cause a lot of damge to crops, livestock, property and fences.
samuel koger

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©