3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Super Special treat tonight while bear hunting  (Read 183 times)

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
Super Special treat tonight while bear hunting
« on: June 16, 2010, 02:32:00 AM »
I have a buddy who has been baiting my favorite spot for bears ( lots of tradgang peoples sweat on the ground up there- over the years!!).
 I am using dog food with syrup on it- and was walking in from where I park. I had gone about 400 or 500 yards in; and stopped and leaned against a boulder to lighten the 50 pound load on my back ( my new prosthetic knee is 7 weeks old now).
 But I was getting it done! It rained up here real bad in the evening- I sat in my truck because it was coming down painfully heavy. When it stopped it was past 8 pm. I loaded up my dog food; 40 pounds - and a gallon syrup.
When I got back in the 400 yards or so and when I stopped; I saw something coming down the road towards me.
 I instantly thought it was a black bear; and about 60-80 pounds. I didn't look more than a second at it; and nocked an arrow; as it looked out of the corner of my eye as it was limping - like its right front foot was hurt. I just got an arrow on in case it wanted my prosthetic knee.

When I looked up- it was not a bear at 30 yards and closing- but a huge WOLVERINE !!

That is so rare to see that I just dropped my bow ( which hit a broadhead in my side quiver- cutting the string and the bow took off)and grabbed my camera.

I had the camera still set on the download position; and the wolverine stopped within 20 yards and just looked this ~bumbling fool~ over- then took off at the same speed in a lope. They lope on a 45% angle.

It had a thick white 'V' on its back - the point was just behind its head and trailed back to its hip area- the body looked black.
What a treat!

If your not out there to see this kind of things - you might just never see them!
   ( yeah for traditional bowhunting!)

My bear bait had been hit; I put out the bait and my bait tag- and set my camera a little lower to find out what is nudging my camera... and I am pumped !

I am so looking forward to going back up there- ten miles from my cabin...I have seen several wolverines over the years- but never one so big!

It was an encounter of a lifetime!
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Super Special treat tonight while bear hunting
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 02:58:00 AM »
Cool Brian,thanks for sharing.Never seen a wolverine.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 03:27:00 AM »
That is a real treat to see a wolverine,thats pretty cool. I was lucky enough to see one when I was young up in the Wind Rivers in Wyoming.

Offline Jmgcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 05:29:00 AM »
SWEET!

Don't see too many bear, wolverine, and hopfully flyin bows down here.   :thumbsup:
Life is not about surviving the storm, but learning to dance in the rain!
Blessed is the Nation whose God is the LORD,... Psalm 33:12

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 05:43:00 AM »
That's sweet man, I too have never seen a Wolverine but watch out for those flying Bows there, I heard they can be mean.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 06:22:00 AM »
Wow Brian, that's got to be a cool experience!

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 06:35:00 AM »
awesome man, hope ya get a picture to share!!!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline imhntn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 06:55:00 AM »
I would sure like to see a picture of one that one.  That is what keeps us going back isn't it.  Thanks for sharing the story.
2 Timothy 2:2

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 06:57:00 AM »
Be watchfull, I hear wolverines are pretty sharp...now that he knows where your bait is, he might try to catch YOU.

You know you are in a really great place, if it is acceptable for a wolverine.

Great to hear your new knee is allowing you to get it done. And to think, some people with knee replacements think all they can do is walk to the mailbox. No better medicine than the feeling derived from wild places.   :archer2:

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
Cool;
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©