3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Friendship Arrow  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Friendship Arrow
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2007, 10:16:00 PM »
friends do that kind of thing for one another, this friend is a keeper
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline BryanB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2007, 12:54:00 AM »
Gordon-

I'm so glad you enjoyed your arrow.
It was my pleasure to make you something to celebrate such a wonderful weekend hunting.  We didn't get to toast a nice 18 year old scotch over elk back straps, but that is a day I will never forget.  

I actually feel like a very fortunate person to have such a great hunting partner, friend, and bow making mentor.

PS. I still have that nice scotch to toast with, after I help you pack out your elk this fall.

Bryan

Offline MWhitehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2007, 06:43:00 AM »
Very, very nice...
Matt Whitehair
"'Traditional Archer' is not a term to be taken lightly. It demands respect for ethics, high standards, and an overall, instinctive love for the sport."
-Jim Chinn

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2007, 08:12:00 AM »
Don't know how I missed this.

Love cane arrows. A lot of work, and worth every minute of it. That's an exceptional one from what I can see.

Bryan, could you go into details on how you made the bone point? and what did you use for coloring on the arrow shaft/nock?

beautiful work, and a thoughtful gift.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Montauks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
I echo what everyone else has said, very very nice, great story.

Gene
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2007, 08:42:00 AM »
Beautiful arrow,love the flaming on the cane.

Absolutely spectacular bone broadhead!!!!!!!!!!
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline BryanB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2007, 10:17:00 AM »
Thank you everyone for the nice comments on the arrow.  Those are very nice compliments comming from the likes of you all.

Ferret-
I should have taken pictures to document how it was made, however I will try and explain.  The front leg bones of an elk have a nice flat spot near one of the ends.  I designed the pattern of broadhead I liked (7/8" wide for hunting minimum width in Oregon)and traced it on the bone.  I then cut it out with a dremel tool and mostly hand filed and sanded to final shape.  The bone in this area is very dense and strong.  There is no pith, and it is over 1/4" thick.  I can't imagine have any problems hunting small game or even deer at close range.

The coloration was added with a pencil blow tourch.  There is a fine line between adding color and burning cane.  If you toast too much it will weaken the cane and make it brittle.  This amount of toasting doesn't seem to weaken at all and may even temper it a bit.

Bryan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©