3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Denton Disaster!  (Read 484 times)

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Denton Disaster!
« on: June 16, 2010, 02:44:00 PM »
My wife began coming to Denton with me two years ago after we had our fisrt grandchild who comes with my son.  The only thing is that she will only stay in a motel and this year there isn't a room available until you reach the PA Grand Canyon!  I've not missed a single year since the 2nd ETAR but this one doesn't look good.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Denton Disaster!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
Meadville isn't too far away.  That's a lot closer than most people.  Can you drive?  How far is it..2 1/2 hrs?  Maybe you can find a room in Smethport or Port Allegheny.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
Yeah, I think disaster might be overstating it a little.  Good luck with finding the closest place possible.

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
Never been there yet !! And Im thinkin on sleepin in my 6' bed pick up & Im 6.5' tall !! Now that's a problem ....

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
Does she love you enough to camp   :goldtooth:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
That is why we book our place before we leave each year for the next year. We stay up at Potter County Campground in one of there cabins. Did you check on the other side of Coudersport. There is a motel over there. About a 20 min drive. Wellsboro is a 40 min drive. We have stayed there before.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 05:29:00 PM »
The little grand canyon isnt that far away. I would guess 30-45 mins. Did you check for and bed and breakfast joints in the area?

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
My son and I sleep in the back of a Jeep Cherokee! The camping is the best part of ETAR.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
you can do it in 2000 I slept in the back seat of our rental car it was like the smallest Chevy ever made.It sure beat sleeping outside in the rain bd

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
There has to be someplace with in 30-40 minutes , if it where me I would be calling them all , I wait all year for this and woudnt miss!!
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
I really enjoy Denton Hill. Having done it both ways, I can tell you that I do NOT want to be part of the camping experience (in DH's camp areas) ever again. I do know that a lot of guys love that crowded, shoulder-to-shoulder camping experience...but not I. I've been there a number of times and seen the mud, slop, straw (maybe), and smelled the heavy smoke which lays low in the camp area for hours. I'm over that.

We pull a trailer now, and we stay about 25 minutes away at our "secret" campground. It's never full, spacious, good hot showers 24/7, a camp store, and anything we need in 10 minutes. It's nice to get away from the nonstop buzz of the event and just go be in a very quiet and comfy area. We grill, chill and enjoy a friendly evening.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
Try the Oxyoke??

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
I stay at my in-laws house in Wellsboro. It's only a half hour drive. No problem. I'm really looking forward to this year.
Jim

Offline carbonflyr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 10:39:00 PM »
3 yrs. ago i had to go all the way to bradford!! didn't get there until 2 in the morning.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
How about a small motor home rental in the area then hit the camp ground or maybe a camp ground a short distance away?  Get one with AC and what ever she needs.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
I used to go to ETAR ( Bowstock as we called it ) almost every year.

The last year I went, there was a comotion in the middle of the night near our tent. When we awoke there was a tent set up 2 feet from the front door of our tent.

The bathrooms are NEVER cleaned the whole weekend.

You guys go and I hope you have a good time. I'll stay home.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
Thanks for all the input.  It's exactly because of the way they allow their bathroom/shower facility to get that my wife refuses to camp there.  If there was a place she could get a decent shower we'd be fine.  I really liked it better when there were less than 1000 people there but that only lasted a couple of years.  Maybe it's time to give it up.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
a good friend got me into going many years ago...

Then, we had to go earlier and earlier to find a camping spot. I was taking more vacation time for ETAR than hunting! Then as stated above, someone ended up pitching their rig in our site! That was tense for a few, but they man'd up and did the right thing.

I've come to think of it as something of a rag n tin ghetto in the last years... I just couldn't justify it anymore. The hotel thing lost the charm of camping with good trad people, but the camping became more and more disagreable, w/less chemical toilets each year and ...the infamous showers! Given the escalating costs and excessive vacation time to get there to reserve a spot, only to have to fight to defend it, it is now on my "not to do" list.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »
'tis the reason we are "off-site" and book well in advance.  The shoot is worth it, the other stuff isn't.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »
x1 on BobW's comment.

The actual event and vendors are very good. If my only choice was to camp in the "ghetto", I'd never go back even once. Toilets and showers are disgusting there. I would never take a lady into that situation and expect her to be satisfied.

As Doc Nock indicated, the competition for a decent campsite gets more severe every year. People come in days ahead of time to establish a camp, and then leave it. I won't pontificate on what the manager(s) should do, but some tighter limits and controls need to be implemented.

The region has a ton of fun things to do, besides ETAR. We spend less than 30% of our available time actually attending the event.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©