3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: douglas fir arrows  (Read 489 times)

Offline CB

• Trad Bowhunter
douglas fir arrows
« on: June 16, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
I just fletched up some Doug Fir arrows and would appreciate opinions about their performance compared to cedar.

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: douglas fir arrows
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
i love em. cedar aint what it used to be!!
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
doug fir is my favorite wood...first used it in 1993.  Have also used ash, hickory, sitka spruce...but doug fir is preferred followed by sitka spruce.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »
I've made and shot arrows made of POC, sitka spruce, and doug fir.  Surewood doug fir shafts are by far the best shafts being made today. Straight, durable, and the guys who own the company aren't too bad either....   :wavey:
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
My Douglas fir's seem more durable than cedar. My new favorite shaft.
Magnus.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
Douglas Fir will perform right up there with good cedar. I've done a lot of experimenting with quite a few different arrow woods and my favorites are Surewoods, Hildebrand Sitka Spruce, and POC from a few different sources. The Surewoods are generally the straightest out of the box and have been very consistent for me as well...not to mention the guys there are super great to deal with  :)

Craig

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 11:37:00 PM »
IMO, Fir is the best shooting of the arrow woods.  It's a "snappy" wood and seems to recover very fast.  I've been pretty pleased with the Surewoods, too, altho I find that I need to straighten every one.  I work with the bulk shafts and quite a few make it to the stumper box, but the good ones make GREAT arrows.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline JD_Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Fletcher:
IMO, Fir is the best shooting of the arrow woods.  It's a "snappy" wood and seems to recover very fast.  I've been pretty pleased with the Surewoods, too, altho I find that I need to straighten every one.  I work with the bulk shafts and quite a few make it to the stumper box, but the good ones make GREAT arrows.
i agree completely!  these arrows are twice as tough as cedar shafts too. they are a bit heavier, but you cant beat the duability.

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 12:28:00 AM »
I've not yet had a raw wood shaft that required no straightening out of the box (except some tapered shafts I got from Rick  :) )...yet the Surewoods usually start closer than the others. One other thing with the Douglas Fir is that it has a more pronounced grain than the other woods and on some shafts it's tough to work around if you're cresting.

Craig

Offline CB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 02:18:00 AM »
Thanks for the input.  i was a lifelong cedar shooter and recently switched to aluminum but, for reasons unrelated to performance I am wanting to go back to wood.  If it was all about performance and efficiency I wouldn't be into trad archery.  Thanks again,

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 06:29:00 AM »
I really like my Douglas Fir arrows.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Arrow4Christ:
I've not yet had a raw wood shaft that required no straightening out of the box (except some tapered shafts I got from Rick   :)  )...yet the Surewoods usually start closer than the others. One other thing with the Douglas Fir is that it has a more pronounced grain than the other woods and on some shafts it's tough to work around if you're cresting.

Craig
Craig, I have not experienced this "tough to work around" scenario.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 09:11:00 AM »
Snag,
I've only had a few shafts like that, and I was able to crest them, but it was definitely more challenging (took more base coats to get a smooth surface, a bit more difficult to get straight lines).
Craig

Online Pack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
Durability wise, the fir shafts are way tougher than cedar.  They are slightly harder to straighten, but make very good arrows.  They will come out heavier than cedar or spruce, but that is not always a bad thing.  You can definitely tell they are tougher when you start grinding the point and nock tapers.

Offline awishanew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
When shooting woods I mostly use Douglas Fir when shooting woods.I had 2 With Judo Points and wore the points out and the shafts were still fine.Thats some tuff.

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
Have been thru them all. POC, Sitka Spruce, and the Doug Fir from Surewood beats them all...IMO. That's all I use now.. Love em!!
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 04:15:00 PM »
T.J. Conrads in his book The Traditional Bowhunter's handbook says what Pack says and "it makes an exceptionally fine arrow shaft.."
I had some bids in on a beautiful dozen during the St. Judes Auction, went to bed thinking they were mine, woke up to find them on their way to Australia. My first auction and a good learning experience. I'll be buying a dozen shortly from one of the sponsors here. I've only shot cedar and aluminium to date.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
I've only made a few dozen arrows of Doug Fir so experience with it is limited, but based on that my impression is that it makes a very good, attractive, moderately heavy arrow.  The biggest problem I've found, and its not THAT big of a problem, is that it seems to be a bit more brittle than other woods.  Not sure if that's a function of moisture content variation (dries out faster?), and they are generally pretty durable,  but when they do break anywhere near midpoint the arrows just seem to shatter or snap like a pretzel rather than slow-crack along the grain.  Overall, they make a good shaft.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
Snag, what Craig is talking about is an "out of round" shaft.  I don't see it much in the premium matched dozens, but you will find it in their bulk.  There is quite a difference in the hardness of the summer growth and winter dormant wood in fir.  When the shafts are sanded to size, the softer wood sands more leaving the shaft out of round.  The shafts will still make good arrows, but don't make the cut for my premium shafts or customer arrows.  They go in the stumper pile or get used for spine test arrows or for my arrows.

Yeah TSP, fir is tough, but when it breaks, it really breaks.  I like that, tho.  I've had POC and Spruce crush rather than break and that damage isn't always so noticeable.  My pig arrow was Sitka Spruce, and he boar rolled over on the arrow twice.  It didn't "break", but now has several permanent compression frets on one side.  It might as well be broken and would be very unsafe to shoot.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 01:41:00 AM »
Tom...sorry mate they just looked to good to pass up !!!
I love Douglas fir ...easy to straighten , god weight and tough !!!
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©