3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Minimum Arrow Speed for 600 grain Arrow for Elk  (Read 733 times)

Offline TexasTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
Minimum Arrow Speed for 600 grain Arrow for Elk
« on: June 16, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
There have been several topics relating to the minimum bow weight for Elk.  I am more interested in minimum arrow speed than draw weight.  I just shot a 600 grain arrow through the chrono with  60# at 28" recurve made by a very reputable bowyer and found out that my arrow is only going about 165 feet per second.  My draw is  a full 28" (maybe a little more -- I have measured several times) and was a little suprised that I wasnt getting a little more arrow speed.  Arrow flight is very good and plan on using Abowyer Brown Bear broadhead.

Is this a normal arrow speed for 10 Grain per pound arrow?

Is this enough for Elk?

I have another bow by the same bowyer that is 53# @ 28" and it shot the same arrow 155 FPS.

Is this enough for Elk?

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Minimum Arrow Speed for 600 grain Arrow for Elk
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
It will go through twice and half way to China before it stops if ya put it in the "pocket".

No need to worry...
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
My bull last year was shot with a arrow that was within a few grains of 600.  Arrow speed was right at 170, using a 2 blade head.  Dead centered a rib going in and stuckin far side rib.  Still have some elk steaks left.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
That's about right for most bows. A lot ot times people say they are getting 190 - 200 fps w a 10 gpp arrow. I have not seen that kind of speed with most bows. My MOAB shoots a 575 gr arrow about 168 -170 at 57#. What you have a perfectly adequate, especially considering the " Will 42# kill an elk?" threads
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline bowbenderman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
Shot a bull with a #50 BW with a 610 gr. with the El Grande Grizzly right bevel.  Everything went thru but the feathers. Watched him fall! You have enough unless you hit the shoulder.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
I shoot 161 fps, with my specs in my signature below, and I am at 48# draw weight with a relatively short draw length and an arrow weighing 555 grains for about 11.5 gpp. I am pleased with my speed and energy and how well it performs on deer. I blew through a doe at 23 yds last fall with the same arrow from a slower bow than the one I have now. I wouldn't hesitate to use your setup on elk.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
My Elk hunting bow.  

Just bought a new Chrony  and Chronographed my MOAB I bought in Hawaii off my good buddy, tradgang member "Lonala" (Ron).  This is now been confirmed by a second Chrony.
62"  58lb@28 and (I draw 29inchs)

Super Carbon shaft with 100gr insert, 175gr tip (550gr)  =  196 fps
Super Carbon shaft with 100gr insert, 250gr tip (625gr)  = 187 fps

I also tested my recurves and ACS CX carbon long bow and the MOAB killed them all. the other bows are a little lighter but comparing the numbers I would have to say that my plain jane model MOAB is as fast or faster as my as my Recurve and My fancy carbon bow even if they were the same wait.    Long live the MOAB....  since I first picked it up in Hawaii, it's been my go to bow ever since. Can't say enough about these fine bows.

Offline wojo124

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
who cares about speed as long as the setup is tuned right and the broadhead is sharp, 60lbs is way more than enough w/10gr/lb,and 53lbs is plenty especialy if you shoot that 600gr arrow through it. that broadhead would deffinitly pass through that elk no prob.
Hollenbeck 64" longbow 50#@28"
Northern Mist 66"longbow 53#@27"
Early 80's 64"Custom Bighorn 66#@29"
pick your spot and burn a hole.

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
My train of thought when it comes to heavy arrows/speed is this! Drive a corvette into a brick wall goin 120mph and itll stop dead in its tracks and blow to pieces...now do the same with a dumptruck at 75mph and itll go right through!

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
My signature says it all...you have plenty if you shoot them accurately!
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
"who cares about speed" are you Kidding!

Speed is an important part of the puzzle !  

Give me two bows shooting the same 600grn arrow,
 one bow shooting 160 fps
 and the other shooting 190fps
I assure you the faster one will penetrate deeper every time.

I've seen a 600 grn arrow shot out of a 53lb recurve not penetrate , broad side on a moose moose. I believe it most likely hit a rib and just didn't get enough penetration to get both lungs.  The recurve owner ordered a heavier set of limbs for his moose and elk hunting.   Now, could this bow kill a moose or elk sure, just not on that day.  The fact is the same heavy arrow travelling faster will increase penetration, and lesson the chance of having your arrow stopped by heavy muscle and bone.

For Hunting :Shoot heavy, arrows, out of the heaviest bow you can shoot accurately.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »
:coffee:  Belly up to the bar folks. This might be awhile  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »
Chances are that aside from bow design, the bow thatll shoot the same arrow faster is probably a heavier bow!!! Ive always shot bows in the #50-#55 range weather they were recurve, longbow or selfbow and never had any problem killing critters with arrows in the 10gpp area! Now when i went to a heavier arrow, 650+gr, 12-13gpp, out of those same bows the penetration increased dramatically! Bring that moose to my doorstep, and ill show ya somethin'!!!

Offline wojo124

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
well he just wants to kill an elk...not a moose. I think he'll be fine. an elk rib is a little smaller than a big ol moose. to each his own, this is a never ending subject
Hollenbeck 64" longbow 50#@28"
Northern Mist 66"longbow 53#@27"
Early 80's 64"Custom Bighorn 66#@29"
pick your spot and burn a hole.

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
I hear you. I just switched out my 550 gr arrows.
 I added 250grn tips instead of my 175s and My 58lb MOAB is now pushing my now 625gr. Super Carbons 183fps .  
They fly like darts and  hit the target like a truck!
I'm looking forward to putting them into a moose or elk this fall

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
If your not satisfied with the speed, maybe playin around with brace height(shortening it), you may eek a few more fps, but not much! Id take that setup with a razor sharp 2 bladed arrow thats properly tuned reagardless of speed hunting for elk anyday!

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
Its enough IMO.  Hows that for simple?
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
sure dead is dead. With an inferior setup and the exact same shot the dead might not happen. High. er performance is not needed if an arrow goes between a rib or misses bone altogether. I've lived long enough and hunted enough to see the results of people using less than is needed. When hunting big game don't see what you can get by with. Use what will actually get the job done under the majority of circumstances with a decent shot placement and that you can shoot accurately and comfortably.
Will that bow with 165 fps and 600 gr arrow kill an elk was the question and is it sufficient? That is the implied question and the answer in my OPINION is yes.

I like the sounds of that Moabs performance. Once in a while the old pig finds an acorn.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
Your good.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
The "rule of thumb" I hear around here is at least 160fps at 600 grains w/ sharp two blade (no old woodsmans).  Thats plenty to kill any legal critter in this state (and we have some moose).  I have heard on other threads about a guy in Co that shoots elk at 140 something fps at 600grns  and still drills em. Maybe that warm climate thins their skin.   :)   So You're fine.   However do not underestimate the thick skin and toughness of their ribs.  I have seen some bad results first hand and heard of many more from set ups that were slow, three blade, or light weight.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©