3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Minimum Arrow Speed for 600 grain Arrow for Elk  (Read 735 times)

Offline LPM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Minimum Arrow Speed for 600 grain Arrow for Elk
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
I bet your setup is whisper quiet.  If you are happy with the trajectory and are shooting well, don't sweat it.  You have plenty of punch.
LPM

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
I'm a firm believer that yes speed kills, but mass destroys.  Pick the heaviest one (both bow and arrow) that you are most comfortable with, and go hunting.  

It doesn't matter what we all think, what matters is that you honestly feel that what you have chosen will be the best set up to kill the animal for which it is intended.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by TexasTrad:
There have been several topics relating to the minimum bow weight for Elk.  I am more interested in minimum arrow speed than draw weight.  I just shot a 600 grain arrow through the chrono with  60# at 28" recurve made by a very reputable bowyer and found out that my arrow is only going about 165 feet per second.  My draw is  a full 28" (maybe a little more -- I have measured several times) and was a little suprised that I wasnt getting a little more arrow speed.  Arrow flight is very good and plan on using Abowyer Brown Bear broadhead.

Is this a normal arrow speed for 10 Grain per pound arrow?

Is this enough for Elk?

I have another bow by the same bowyer that is 53# @ 28" and it shot the same arrow 155 FPS.

Is this enough for Elk?
I think both setup will work just find on Elk, I would worry about how sharp my broadheads are.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
I understand where you are coming from on the speed thing.  Due to a neck injury I have to shoot lighter poundages.  I still shoot heavy arrows but choose bows that are known to be quick to help make up for the lower weight.  (Morrison, Zipper, and Predator recurves)

I have seen it written that speed is unimportant and then in the next paragraph written that a 60 lb bow is needed for such and such game.  Huh?

I am no elk expert but I would hunt them with that setup.
"I'm the proud son of a Vietnam Vet and proud to be Made in America!"

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by jhg:
Its enough IMO.  Hows that for simple?
My thoughts also.  :campfire:

Offline gjarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
I got a complete pass through at 25 yds on a cow elk this last season using a 618-gr arrow, Silver Flame 210-gr broadhead, 19% FOC, using a 60#@28" recurve, drawing a tad over 28". Initial arrow speed is 163 fps.

I've shot through a chronograph at 20, 30, and 40 yds and the arrow speed is fairly constant in that range. There should be plenty of penetration at those distances based on the results with last season's cow elk.
1958 Bear Kodiak Special 60#@28"
28.75" BOP Legacy 2018, 19%FOC
Silver Flame Broadheads

Offline mongoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2011, 11:31:00 PM »
sounds almost like a bunch of wheelies chating  :biglaugh:
stalk softly and carry a bent stick

Offline tawmio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
I was shooting my 48 lbs bow this year deer hunting i know deer r not that much of a challege but shooting a 620gr arrow and 48# i was able to break a rib going in and a leg going out it was a smaller mulie but i was shooting a four blade phantom so i know that worked against me having 4 blades vs. 2. either way it performed well and im sure the 320 grain up front had everything to do with it.
I like to picture as soon as your broadhead goes in that those 320gr up front start to pull the rest of the arrow rather than being pushed by a heavy shaft.
-just add effort.

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
There have been several topics relating to the minimum bow weight for Elk.  I am more interested in minimum arrow speed than draw weight.  I just shot a 600 grain arrow through the chrono with  60# at 28" recurve made by a very reputable bowyer and found out that my arrow is only going about 165 feet per second.  My draw is  a full 28" (maybe a little more -- I have measured several times) and was a little suprised that I wasnt getting a little more arrow speed.  Arrow flight is very good and plan on using Abowyer Brown Bear broadhead.

Is this enough for Elk?

I have another bow by the same bowyer that is 53# @ 28" and it shot the same arrow 155 FPS.

Is this enough for Elk?
This setup gives you a 0,439 momentum  :thumbsup:   With a sharp BH this setup will blow straight thru any 4 legged animal walking the earth in the Western world!

Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
165 and 600 grain, well heck yea it will do the job!  Sharp broadhead and good shot placement with an arrow that flys straight.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
You will be fine for elk.  A well placed double lung will put em down in a hurry.  I've shot them with 60# all natural bows that shot about that speed and had kills everyone with an exit wound.

BTW shooting through a chrono with fingers is not an easy thing.  Most don't get the point over the shadow detector on both ends so the speeds come out crazy.  Rusty had a radar gun that I like a lot better.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
I don't get the speeds that some say they do but my bows shoot 10GPP arrows about 175 fps.I have only ever used this one chronograph so I often wonder if chronographs differ a lot?

The thing that really surprised me,was how close in speed several different make bows were of similar weight draws.This included custom bows,factory bows,both old and new.I got a new,50# bow the other day and predicted it would shoot a 650 gr arrow about 160 fps,based on other bows I have tested.On my first shot,it read 160 fps.

With my 50ish weight bows,a change in arrow weight of 100 grains,changes speed 10 fps.50 grains equals 5 fps.It has been pretty consistent.

I truly believe that your 60# bow with that arrow will do really well on elk.I also wouldn't be surprised if you shot it through another chronograph,that it may be going faster than that.Either way,I think you are good.

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
LOTS of big and bigger game than this was shot many many moons with bows INcapable of those speeds.

Worked then, works now.

I'd hunt Irish Elk with that set up (shooting properly)if there was any and a season.

*grin*

Doc Ashby did a "light bow (FAR lighter than yours)  heavy arrow" actual penetration test on Cape Buffs is I recall the animal in question.....or something similar. Think the FPS was mentioned without going back to double check.

Worth a read and available on this same site.

Didnt luck into a live one but got to shoot a recently taken one (on a bet) on an Elk hunt once.

Several guys in "camp" (WHOLE nother story there). One got a 4x4 Bull. Looked like a pincushion. Five arrows. None half in.

Wheelie bow and replaceable blade pencil point heads.

I MIGHT HAVE mentioned the poor penetration and got challenged with my 52lb BW and 585 grainers with Eskimos.

End result was penetration through a entrance side rib, exiting the other side.....feathers buried, nock only visible. Knew it would be fine since had seen for years what they did on whitetail, being way more than needed.

Removed any doubts I, or anyone else had. Oh.....no clue on FPS........cause I dont care. No offense. Least of any consideration I've ever had.

Don't shoot BWidows anymore either.

My newest and most recent bows for hunting are over 50 yrs old......and I'd take one of em elk-ing in a heartbeat.

(Poor dang Elk)

Probably average lighter bows and heavier arrows now days.....just for the "halibut". Confidence kills.

God Bless
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
Shot a 800+lbs bull on a trot at 30yrds w/ a 65lbs @27'' bow and a 560gr 2 blade tipped arro.Went thru the rib side edge of the scapula and went thru the center of the opposite side rib .Bull went 50yrds and fell over.
Texastrad If you are shooting the Vyperkahn I sold to you?That's the bow i killed the bull above w/.

Offline Thunderhorn25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
Huh?

Offline huntinoly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2011, 12:51:00 AM »
I got my Bull with a self bow 57#@27" 680 gran arrow 20 yards complete pass thru, it shoot that arrow at about 149 fps. You got more than enough.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2011, 01:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by TDHunter:
    Long live the MOAB....  since I first picked it up in Hawaii, it's been my go to bow ever since. Can't say enough about these fine bows.
Yep. Thats what happens when you shoot a MOAB. I have 2, and another on order. Third one will be a takedown for elk hunting. Not decided what weight Im gonna order, but withthe chronic tendonitis in my bow are elbow, probably 55-58#.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
I haven't put one thru an elk yet, but several deer and I say heck yeah, JMO

Before I owned a chrono, a bud at work brought one so I could test a test bow one rainy day. We set it up in the shop and shot thru it.

WOW, this bow was close to 200fps with a heavy arra. I had to call BS on it cause it didn't seem that fast.

Long story short, we rigged a light on it and sure nuff ,bout 30fps right off the top!   :biglaugh:  

Also for best results, build a shootin machine so you get exact draw length each time. I tend to overdraw to make it fast!They are easy to make,I have 40.00 in mine for the boat winch....

Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
Sorry, got off topic a bit!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »

Is this enough for Elk?

Is this enough for Elk?
A 600gr. arrow at "Only" 165fps???
Are you kidding me? That's some serious heat your packing in my book. Put that broadhead in the boiler room and Go get em!    :thumbsup:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©