3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: OPA Closing Site  (Read 285 times)

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
OPA Closing Site
« on: June 16, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
Setting up Old Phartt’s Archery and moving all my archery material there from my personal web site a year ago was one of those things that seemed like a good, fun idea at the time.   However, it hasn’t worked out as I might like.  

In moving the material from my site and setting up an additional site, I essentially doubled my costs.  I felt this was worthwhile if it made all that building material easier for folks to find.

Unfortunately, I also created a situation in which too many folks regarded OPA as an archery business, which was not intended.  I tried to make it clear that it wasn’t and that I don’t take orders for bows, but the message wasn’t (isn’t) getting through.  I am repeatedly called to task for “promoting” my bows, no matter how many times I repeat that I do not take orders for bows.   All I’ve been trying to do is share some enthusiasm and learning.   I’ve posted hundreds of pages of web material on every building step I’ve taken, including showing every mistake so that others could avoid them.   However, I’m tired and I’m simply going to stop doing it.

I am going back to my original set up and am moving all of the existing OPA instructional pages back to:

www.dickwightman.com  

as an indexed sub-section on that site, titled “Archery Activities”.   I will be editing areas that seem to create the “business” appearance and doing away with any “Old Phartt’s Archery” page titles and references.   I’ll still be building bows; I happen to enjoy it.   However, if you want to see them, or see if I’ve learned anything new about building, you’ll have to go to my site to do it.

I’m posting this to alert those who have the buildalong pages for bows and bow making equipment bookmarked for reference.   Hopefully, folks who had bookmarked the Old Phartt’s site will see this and change their bookmarks and others will still find the information on building bows and equipment.  I’ve been told by several people that it’s actually helpful.

I apologize for the past confusion and also for the inevitable, but hopefully brief, confusion this material relocation may cause.   Be assured that nothing is changing in what I do, just in how I present it.  My interest remains building simple, traditional D shaped flatbows, and sharing information on doing that, but only where it will not be regarded as some kind of commercial competition.

Oh, yeah…   I am not a custom bowyer… I do not take orders for bows.

Dick in Seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Geo S

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: OPA Closing Site
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. Great tips.

Offline Islandlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
Glad your no disapering Dick. You always been very giving with your knowledge!  :thumbsup:  

Jerry
Procrastination is the thief of time.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 12:30:00 AM »
So, I'm confused, Dick.  Are you taking orders for bows?    ;)

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 12:45:00 AM »
But...
Are you still taking orders ?... hehehe
Keep the info coming Dick...us straight bow shooters gotta stick together mate .

Ben
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 01:44:00 AM »
Dick your da man.  Hey buddy check out my comments on the post for Le Chausseur Noir I am looking at skinning the back of the bow with Diamond Back Rattlesnake to give it a natural camo for the deer hunting I will be doing this season.  Your knife is in process and is forged to shape and the handle is roughed in as well.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 06:01:00 AM »
Just another reminder of how bad the economy is when Dick has to downsize   :bigsmyl:   Love your sites Dick   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 06:28:00 AM »
Shoot! Am I one of the few that "got it!" Dick?

I always just thought of you as "Da old phart" that loved the Hill style bows so much that you were trying to do your part at preserving a piece of history and you wallet couldn't keep up with your desire, so you started out making them only to find that you couldn't stop. It turned into an addiction for you almost as bad as any I've seen..hahaha!

You have done a fine job too! That's why folks want to try to place bow orders with you. I sure can't blame them for seeing something as pretty as those I've looked of yours and not want to own one just like it. Pure flattery my friend.. accept it for what it is.. you deserve every bit of it.

I never once thought anything you did was leading to a business. I saw you as a leader trying to lead by example.

I hope I get a chance to shake your hand someday!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 07:41:00 AM »
I never once got the impression you were promoting a business.
I'm glad you're moving the info back to your personal page though, instead of just dropping it!   :scared:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »
It was nice to read about you dick keep on livin a full an active life

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 08:48:00 AM »
Dick -

I love all the info you provide and truly enjoy perusing your sites.

Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
But I was just about to order one.

I love going through your knowledge and seeing things being made.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 11:05:00 AM »
Dick,

thanks for all that you've done for us.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
Hang in there buddy!  It's just hard for some to believe in your generous spirit.  I wish there were more like you!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©