3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrows from square blanks?  (Read 294 times)

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrows from square blanks?
« on: June 18, 2010, 01:25:00 AM »
Does anyone have any info of where to buy or how to build a sanding block/jig so I can plain square blanks into shafts? I know I have seen them before but can't remember for the life of me where it was.

Thanks

Offline akcpo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrows from square blanks?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 02:05:00 AM »
Try the link below. It's a gizmo that was used in an article about making shafts in Trad Bowhuner awhile back. I haven't used it so I don't know how well it works.
 http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=42331&cat=1,180,42288&ap=1

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »
Do you want to build buy hand using hand tools? Or run them them thru a jig using drill/power tools.

Here is one a little different from the jig you will find on this site buy doing a search.
  http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/page.asp?p=977  

Three Rivers has one you can use to make shafts buy hand, I have one and it works great for easy to plane shafts like dug fir or cedar. But not for the hard wood shafts.

I have the Lee Valley jig adcpo is talking about above, and like it a lot. Works on all wood types.

I make all my own shafts from parallel to footed if you have any questions you can pm me. Good luck
Couple of pictures

Realized you asked about sanding if you want to use sandpaper only to do the work dont have much for you but someone could possible figure out how to use one of the router jigs with a drill press sanding drum or spindle sander. Would go thru a lot of sandpaper. Again good luck let me know if I can help any.

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
Gary Renfro covers this in the "Footed Arrows" DVD.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
I have the simple dowel cutter from lee valley.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=52401&cat=1,180,42288&ap=1  

They don't come out as clean as the one Jack has, but some sandpaper cleans it up quick and it's a whole lot cheaper.

If you're planning on making lots a router jig (with outfeed support) is the way to go imo
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©