3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your Camp Food  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Jmgcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your Camp Food
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
Cube a couple of potatoes and put them on to boil. Drain and set aside before they start to come apart - done but still cubes.

Ground beef browned in an iron skillet, drain some mosture off of it, and let simmer. Brown some chopped onion and bell pepper in a couple of spoons of olive oil, then add to the simmering meat along with your choice of canned beans (pork n beans, baked beans, etc..). Add the potatoes, and let simmer while you prepare some cheese slices and bread or crackers. Salt and pepper to taste.

Woolf Piney Stew - named after a mentor that is no longer with us. Eat while setting around an open fire. umumgood
Life is not about surviving the storm, but learning to dance in the rain!
Blessed is the Nation whose God is the LORD,... Psalm 33:12

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »
Brown 1 lb ground beef,a little onion and about a 1/4 bell pepper in a dutch oven.Drain. Add a big can of Bush original baked beans,a little brown sugar and a little Blackburn's syrup(Southern thang). Cook over coals till almost burnt.Leave tent windows open.Yum,Yum.
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
Biggie can come with me I carry two dutch ovens and drive a ford diesel to carry all the other stuff. I eat really good..when camping,(hunting is different story). Usually end up with a good venison stew and peach cobbler...
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Conan 1883

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
We fed four of us on a week in the Boundary Waters on a 20# pack of food, ate like kings  
Boundary Waters!!  Planning a trip there next June.  Like to hear more about that trip!  Did you take your bow and if so how'd you store it? and all the arrows?
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.....John Wayne

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2010, 02:55:00 AM »
I'm always real torn on camp cooking.
On the one hand I love to cook and have all kinds of Dutch ovens and other gear.
On the other hand, by the time I get my little truck packed with other stuff there's usually no room for ovens and a bunch of fancy stuff.
On the third hand, I'd kind of rather do whatever I'm out there to do rather than spend a bunch of time in camp prepping and cooking.
I guess that's why I usually end up with a few cans of Chunky soup, some Japanese noodle bowls and a bag of Cheetos.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Vig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2010, 04:03:00 AM »
I dig the desserts...

If you are camping from your truck:
Line a dutch oven with aluminum foil (makes an easier clean-up).  Dump in a can of your favorite pie filling (or, if you're motivated you can peel, slice, season, and marinate some apples).  On top of that dump a box of cake mix (seems like the cheaper the better). Then pour a can of soda in the mix.  Cover it up and place hot coals on top of the oven.  After 30 minutes or so it will be some of the best cobbler you've ever had.

If you're backpacking:
Try to think about the above cobbler while you're eating dehydrated eggs.

-Vig
-----------
The worst day shooting is better than the best day at work.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2010, 05:00:00 AM »
I'm a real big fan of the freezedried foods of mountain house, backpackers pantry, MRE's etc.  But man those suckers are expensive, for what is labled as 2 servings. I say 2 servings for an infant! and all it is .. is pasta or noodles..But I always find myself going back to them! I have found that getting the lipton pasta/rice meals are a great alternative for $1 ...ish

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2010, 05:16:00 AM »
Thanks for all the ideas-some great recipes listed here.  Now for some z's, then up to the mountains!  Hope all you other fathers out there have a great weekend.

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2010, 05:37:00 AM »
If camping from the truck we like taco's in a bag .

Brown burger and add taco sauce, open small bag of Fritos , add meat ,lettuce ,tomatoes,possiblt sour cream .

The kids love it.

Also love soup or chili prepared weeks in advance and frozen in a milk jug . Helps keep everything cool in cooler until ready to use , cut milk jug off and add to pot .
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2010, 06:43:00 AM »
Usually when I`m out in the woods or in the mountains it`s important for me to not carry to much weight.
So my camp food is rather simple:

I use a lot of the REAL Expedition Meal is mainly made from natural fresh Norwegian ingredients and freeze dried, and only need boiling water.

This gives ca 700 kcal pr bag, and enough for me to keep up energy and protein needs.

I usually eat 2 or 3 serving/bags pr day

Beside that I usually make the bannocks over the campfire, with dried fruits and nuts on the side.

I also bring a big piece of smoked bacon and instant mashed potato packs.

Smoked bacon is always a treat with the bannocks after a hard/rough day in the mountains.

I also use dried meat in my coffee + coffee- cheese I make before longer hikes(quite easy to make from raw/whole milk heaten to ca 104F then mixed with rennet and rolled out to a tortilla and baked in the oven). This gives energy to keep going in rough terrain for hours.

The nice thing with this kind of food is that it is light to carry and all i need is my coffepot and a small frying pan to make all my food.

The most important thing is light to carry and that it not take to much space bin my backpack.

Oh: and I always bring with me my fishingrod in case I find some nice trout waters:D

No cans or anything to carry back home  :thumbsup:

Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
Try those new starbucks instant travel coffee packs. those things are a God send, if you like coffee.  :coffee:

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »
sausage whith extra sharp cheese and crackers, ham and turkey sandwhichs ad if we are lucky tenderloins cooked over coals. for snacks a bite size snickers bars.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
My kids loved jiffy-pop popcorn for camping and backpacking
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2010, 03:23:00 PM »
Since I can haul everything in my truck and park it where I camp lightness is not a factor.  I'm a big proponent of preparing meals beforehand and freezing them to be thawed and heated up.  I cook with a two burner Coleman stove and sometimes a weber tabletop grill.
Breakfast: cereal (put milk in small container to be used up), bananas, OJ, coffee
Bacon, eggs or pancakes in one of those just add milk or water and shake and pour containers.
Lunch: sandwiches.
Dinners: deer stew, bread, butter.
Spaghetti, meat sauce, Italian bread.
Crab bratwursts with sauteed onions and peppers.
Desserts or breakfast: Enttemens crumb cake.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
On thing I have done in the past, when doing a lot of camping, is to take all my meat left overs and cut them up into chunks or strips.  Put then in the freezer until I get enough to fill my dehydrator.  Put what ever seasoning on them I want, dehydrate them and then vacum seal the bags.  Nothing like a nice chunk of steak, turkey, or roast around a nice campfire.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2010, 06:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by stringstretcher:
On thing I have done in the past, when doing a lot of camping, is to take all my meat left overs and cut them up into chunks or strips.  Put then in the freezer until I get enough to fill my dehydrator.  Put what ever seasoning on them I want, dehydrate them and then vacum seal the bags.  Nothing like a nice chunk of steak, turkey, or roast around a nice campfire.
You've had leftover meat?  How is that even possible?     :confused:

:bigsmyl:

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2010, 07:21:00 AM »
beans , hard cheese , sardines , bill-tong, fruit, tinned fruit , chocolate bars , nuts , dried fruit , flour [ with foil for damper ]
 stock cubes , spam ...yes spam with tobasco tastes ok ...
always more concerned with coffee more than food ...
if room in my pack allows a couple of hard crust brown rye bread rolls ...
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2010, 08:07:00 AM »
You've had leftover meat? How is that even possible?  

LOL.  Yeah sometimes I am a light eater......until I go camping.  :thumbsup:
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »
Me and my buddies always prepare our food before we go on the hunt and pack it in a large cooler and then all you have to do is heat it up when its time to eat.

My favorite is deer spaghetti and lasagna.

After a hard day of hunting it sure is nice to come in and just heat up your meal plus you can really cary a lot of food this way.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
How do you get spaghetti out of a deer??????
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©