3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: black widow ?  (Read 2599 times)

Offline bowhunter97

• Trad Bowhunter
black widow ?
« on: January 08, 2007, 07:04:00 PM »
I'm thinking of getting a BW. What do you guy's think are they worth the $$$.
phil:4.13

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: black widow ?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »
My main hunting bow is a BW, a 60# takedown recurve.  My main target shooting bow is also a BW, a 55# takedown recurve.  I just ordered a BW Golden Anniversary longbow.  I sold off three of my other bows to get the money for it.  I've attended their instinctive shooting clinic at their factory in Nixa, MO with Fred Asbell.  So I guess you could say I'm a BW "nut!"
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline bowhunter97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 07:15:00 PM »
McDave    How are they as far speed.
phil:4.13

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
The best ones for speed are the ones they make with bamboo laminations in the limbs.  My main hunting bow is a 60# PMA V (the takedown recurve).  I also have an 65# SA II (also a takedown recurve) which I bought about 10-15 years ago, but I've never felt comfortable with the weight, particularly if I imagine myself drawing it some morning about daybreak on a Colorado elk hunt at 10,000' with the temperature still below freezing.  Anyway, the PMA V has bamboo laminations in the limbs, while the SA II has whatever they put in their normal limbs (maple maybe?).  What cinches it for me for hunting is that the 60# PMA V fires the exact same arrow, a 590 grain gold tip, at the exact same speed as the 65# SA II, which is 185 fps.  This is at my 27 1/2" draw length, whereas the bow poundage is measured at 28", so the actual pounds are a tad less than I said.  Just for chuckles, I fired the same gold tip through the chronograph without the internal weights, which would make the arrow weight about 500 grains, and the speed was about 200 fps, but that would be too light of an arrow for hunting.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 07:41:00 PM »
They are good bow I have a PSA11 and a LAG. I prefer the Silvertips now but Widow makes a good bow and their service is great. It is an easy bow to shoot. I think there are better values out there but if that is what you really want get it, you won't be satified until you do. Widow also has a test drive program, try it before you buy it.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 08:25:00 PM »
I have a 58" PSA II, a 54" PSR II and a 56" PSR II. I am hunting with the 54"PSR this year. I have bought and sold 3 other BW's and I can tell you they are well built and have good resale value.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 09:18:00 PM »
Yep, they're worth it. I mean, if you don't like the look of it, or the price, then buy one that suits, that you really like. But I like mine. They hit hard, and are forgiving and accurate. And even though they might be expensive by archery standards, imagine if you weren't into bowhunting, but were into racing motorbikes or shooting rifles instead. Some rifles are cheaper than a Black Widow bow, but the good ones are dearer, at least in Australia. And the lads who have to save their pennies to buy motorbikes...well, it makes you realise that a bow is pretty low-cost. Cheers, Ben
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »
For the money you can find better.

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
I love my plx bocote, it's the bow I have kept the longest. I've had a number of bows but have always gone back to this one. It's like everything else and it's been said a hundred times try to go someplace and shoot as many different bows as you can and choose the one for YOU not because of what it says on the bow or what someone tells you- worth is ONLY what someone will pay- you decide on what criteria you will base your choice. Just my thoughts
Good shooting friend,
Todd
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »
Dustin

In your mind, I imagine so.  But for countless thousands of folks the answer is yes.  Different folks like to spend their money different ways.
Otto

Offline LazerRay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »
It seems that 185 fps is the mark with my BW and I shoot a 570gr arrow; marked 54@27 but scales 60# at my draw
Contempt prior to investigation leads to everlasting ignorance!
William James

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 11:40:00 PM »
If I had a dollar for every time I heard that question, "are they worth it?", I could buy you and me that new anniversary bow...

Well, slight exageration on my part, ME one...

Yes, if it shoots right for you. Try their offer to shoot one and return it.

Depending on your pockets, order a new one or buy one used. Used one is not a bad investment if you decide to trade it. They are in demand and you might not loose any money.
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 08:56:00 AM »
Beauty is in the eye, of course. They are pretty and shoot hard and fast. I know there are bows that out perform a BW, but look at the whole package. I own two widows and love them. That being said I am on the list to have a Morrison built for me this fall.
The only bow we "all" need is one that shoots quick and where we are looking.  A widow gets this done every time.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Panzer I

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
I have owned two Black Widows and they were good bows. I purchased both of mine used and for me personaly I would never spend that kind of money for what they are asking for a new one. I just sold my last Widow a couple of days ago. I have a 21st century Longbow that I like much better.JMO

Offline Wild Willie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
I hane a psaII and love the way it shoots and feels. It is worth every penny it cost.
Billy

Offline 6 POINT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
After buying and trying many different makes of custom and production bows my search stopped at B/W. I'm sure there are some bows that are faster,preetier,cheaper etc., but the 3 Widows I own are fast, attractive, and not as expensive as some.What the Widow really is, is extremely well built, rugged, and very forgiving and comfortable to shoot.My PLV take down is my go to bow and my PSAIII and V are right there as backup.Once I bought a Black Widow I stopped looking. GREAT BOWS AND THE BEST SERVICE I'VE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!~

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »
Try one and decide for yourself.

They're excellent bows, with unbeatable customer service.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 01:45:00 PM »
I am primarily a Widow shooter. Everyone has different likes and dislikes in about everything.
When I made the switch to traditional, it was with a Widow MAIII. I have tried about all of the big names and alot of the not-so-big names, but I always come back to Widows. DO take advantage of the try before you buy program, getting a bow that is as close to what you are wanting to buy as you can. A week spent shooting the bow will answer alot of your questions. There are many great bows out there to be had and some at a better  price, but it is up to you to decide the "value". Good luck on your bow hunt! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »
I had a PSA II that I loved.  Sold it cause I like longbows more.  I shot the LAG and did not care for it nearly as much.  I bought a Toelke whip which is my favorite longbow.  So to me the PSA was worth it LAG not.  I've not shot the pl longbows.  Better get on the horn with the BW dudes and get one on a test drive, I'm sure you'll be impressed.  Great bow and even better service.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »
I don't care for widow bows myself, primarily due to their mass weight.

I can tell you though, you will not find a finer group of gentleman to deal with than Ken and his crew.  

If you like a little more meat in your bows, call them.  You won't be sorry.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©