3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: black widow ?  (Read 2600 times)

Offline dcmtex

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: black widow ?
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »
BH97, I think someone above said something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Widows are pricey but not the most expensive. There are other good bowyers that sell cheaper but when it comes down to somethinig we want, if we settle we regret it in the end. I lke the Widows because they cast an arrow for me better than any bow I've tried. Too, they hold their value as well as any bow out there. I've recently bought a couple on the Wall used and they they handle the years well. Good luck!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 02:13:00 PM »
Try one and see.  They make a solid bow, speed is comparable with most good bows on the market, appearance......well, that depends on the individual.  I think for the price the warranty should be much better, but that's just my opinion.  You can get bows that are comparable in speed, smoothness, forgiveness, quality, etc. for less, and for more.  

I gained a new respect for Ken Beck during a phone conversation with him last year.  This may not be a word-for-word quote, but it's close if it isn't exact.  He said to me "there's not a nickle's worth of difference in the better bows on the market today".  I agree.

Bottom line, they are worth the money to some, not to others. It's going to based more on personal preferance than them being better than other bows.

Chad

Offline barking mad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »
I second what LBR just wrote.

The Widows that I have shot have been really good bows. Well made, solid bows with good performance. However, I would not buy one. Just a personal preference. It really is up to the individual to decide wether or not they are worth the price. Test one before you lay your money down.

Good shooting,

bm.
-preserved moose-

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2007, 02:55:00 PM »
I was never interested in a BW until two years ago. At that time I wanted to buy my wife a new bow. She is a very good recurve shooter so I told her we would buy whatever she wanted regardless of the price. We made the rounds at Cloverdale and she kept going back to BW. Then at Compton just to be sure we did the same thing. Again she liked the BW PSA111 best. While standing there I said "Let me try that thing". Guess what? I loved it. I then went over to the BW booth and picked up a bow in my weight and tried that... Same thing it felt great in my hand. This one had the Asbell grip and it fit my hand perfectly. I ordered my wife's bow right there. A PSA111 58" and 38#@28" (she has a 24" draw). Two weeks later I kept thinking about that BW. With the wife's OK I ordered mine. PSA111 w/Bamboo limbs 60" and 55#@28".

Was it worth it?

Well about 3 months later I harvested my first whitetail with Trad gear. Then this year I took my BW to Alaska where it endured rain and weather with no ill effect. On the very last day in a drizzle, I was fortunate to shoot a medium sized bull in the heart at 25 yards.

Yep, to me my BW was worth it. Bow buying is a personal thing. A bow has to fit you, if I had not been a bit bored standing while the wife was shooting I would have never tried a BW. After I did it was a must have for me. Both my wife and I love our BW bows. Yes I have other customs but the BW is my favorite. As mentioned before, Ken Beck and the guys at BW are TOP NOTCH! I am not a guy who buys into hype so that had nothing to do with my choice as for my wife, she never even heard of BW before she shot one.

Always try before you buy though!

Regards,
Bill

I am a very happy customer.
Aim Small

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »
Shot widows 4 years and loved everyone I had.Then I made a mistake and got a Habu.Sold my spider bows and am shooting a Habu Vyperkahn and never looked back.

Offline Sharp Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2007, 07:46:00 PM »
I have a BW MAII Autumn color, 53# @ 28".  It is not particulary my favorite bow, but it is by far my fastest shooting, hardest hitting bow. I mean really hard hitting.  I believe you could take any big game animal with the proper arrow and broadhead combination.  The only slight dislike I have for the bow,(very slight) is it is heavy for a recurve (compared to other recurves I own)  It is definately well built.  Worth the money?  That's a tough one.  If you are only going to have one recurve, then BW is a pretty good choice.
PBS Associate Member
Lone Star Bow Hunters Association

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
I also did not like widows, untill I tried one. I just kept going back to try it. That was a SAII, I bought it and then a PASIII recurve, they cast a arrow very well, are not the fastest but probably the most stable bow I have ever  shot. They are built to hunt with. I am in the process of ordering a new one pc. recurve. I also had 2 diffrent PL longbows, they are also built and designed very well, I just couldnt get used to the handle,as I have shot another type longbow grip for a long time. So I sold the widow longbows and will probably always have a widow recurve. The crew at Black Widow are among the best in customer service in the buisness bar none. That in its self would be reason for me to be a widow shooter. Like somebody above said, of all the top bows there, isnt alot of performance diffrence.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Sharp Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2007, 09:05:00 PM »
Excuse me, I guess my bow is now called a PMAIII, my mistake!
PBS Associate Member
Lone Star Bow Hunters Association

Offline Chuck Mullaley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
Well, for MY money, Black Widow recurves are worth it (I've bought three brand new and one used and have a Golden Anniversary recurve on order).  For your money, that's for you to decide.  Good luck with your decision!

As far as speed is concerned, I think Ken Beck's statement about there not being a nickels worth of difference between well made bows is correct.  The Black Widow may not be the fastest - I'm shooting 188fps with a 605 grn Easton Axis arrow fom  63 lb PMAX bow - which is plenty good for me!
"I hate rude behavior in a man...I won't tolerate it."  Capt. Woodrow F. Call

Offline D.T.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2007, 10:52:00 PM »
There's a reason their celebrating fifty years in the business.....great product and you'll be hard pressed to find better folks!

Offline LUCKY MAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2007, 11:22:00 PM »
Like mine, 64" PLX 42# @28

Does well on East Texas hogs, should do just fine on whitetails.

ROOTER
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way
you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Offline Jeff Hren-Renegade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2007, 11:35:00 PM »
I give my buddy ALOT of grief over his BW, But They are a Smooth shooting bow! The $$ aspect of it is really up to you. I know the Boys Build a Great bow. So do Alot of others. I like The Shrew bows, I Also Really like the Ancient spirits Bows!!
  My Personal Bows Are built by a Michigan D.N.R. Officer in Traverse City. His name is Paul Sturtevent.
  Its really up to you & what feels comfortable in your hand. Good Luck.

Offline nevada cody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2007, 06:54:00 AM »
i have a  plv  65# at my draw  and i love it took some time getting used to but im shooting better than i ever thoughth was possible ..
 i have orderd a pga and one plga anniversary  the plga longbow will be ca 60# at my 30 inch draw any spine sugestions 31 inch arrow carbon and aluminium thx
ps sorry for bad spelling i live in australia but originaly from sweden

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©