3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DONE WITH U.S. POSTAL SERVICE  (Read 1306 times)

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: DONE WITH U.S. POSTAL SERVICE
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
Didn't read it all...anything that is 'special' should be sent in a manner that can be tracked.

It can still be lost....but much less likely.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »
I have a lot of experience with all three because I used to run a shipping store.  We shipped stuff with all three everyday.  

There are pros and cons with each.  And no matter which one you use something could happen to your package.  Especially something long and skinny' like a bow.

If you want tracking then USPS is not the way to go unless you do the signature required option.  Delivery confirmation only tells you that it arrived at the destination post office, not that it was delivered to the recipient.

The general rule of thumb was go ground with UPS and overnight with FedEx.  If you looking at price then the size/weight of the package would determine wether to go USPS or UPS.  Over a certain weight UPS is less expensive.  That being said, I have been shipping all the Wild Fire Artistry plaques via USPS.  So far no problems!

With USPS I use their free priority mail boxes.  I figure if something does get destroyed they can't blame the box, since I am using the box they supply.  The box is a common reason insurance claims are denied.  If you are obviously shipping in a used box, your claim will be denied with any carrier.
"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!"  Katie Jones (7 years old)

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »
Given the option, I like to ship things to business addresses (to the attention of the person working there), or have it shipped to me at work. Less likely to get sent to the wrong place. I like to use USPS over the other guys, but their tracking does suck because it's not updated in real time. It's usually several days off. Always get insurance to cover it, and pray you won't need it.
I would never ship a bow in a cardboard box for sure. (even though this was a knife)
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
None of the carriers are perfect, have had issues with them all. UPS just drops things off at the front door unless they are insured for over 1,000 or you request a signature confirmation.

Ive had pretty good luck with USPS,  only lost (stolen) 1 knife and 1 gun over the course of shipping knives for 15+ years.

Now if you want to get into CRAPPY service from various Customs Departments thats a whole 'nother story....  Canadian Customs is among the worst for knives.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2010, 04:56:00 PM »
NEVER nhad a problem with USPS, ship a lot of stuff through them and i work for UPS. our customer counter hours are so bad i can rarly use my own job site to do my shipping.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Muleyslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
Well I've found a rasp that is just as old as the file and my father-inlaw gave me the o.k to have Frank make it into a knife. The problem is that after reading all these threads I'm second guessing myself with the usps. I guess monday afternoon I'll have to man up and choose. I'll let you know how it goes and if Frank gets it and I get it back I'll post pics of the knives. Thanks for listening to me wine.
"LUCK"
When preparation meets opportunity

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by adkmountainken:
NEVER nhad a problem with USPS, ship a lot of stuff through them and i work for UPS. our customer counter hours are so bad i can rarly use my own job site to do my shipping.
It is crazy what they are doing with their counter service counters at the shipping centers.  I sold a gun a while ago to buy more bows.  I had to drop it at a shipping center because the stores don't take guns.  No Saturdays for a while now.  I am off on Fridays.  I stopped in on a Friday, and now no Fridays.  The next day I was on the job and GPS's a UPS terminal in the area.  I got there and found it was only open 4 hours a day and not mid day around lunch. Something like 9-11 and 2-4 four days a week.  :banghead:   I had to take time off work to drive it cross town in the middle of the morning one day and apologize to the buyer for shipping it 4 days after I said I would.  I was  :mad:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
Robert,just insure it $300.00 is only a few bucks and delivery confirmation is only another few bucks. Its worth it,don't let one mishap keep you from using the USPO. In my area the others are WAY worse than the USPO. Just cover your a$$ and your good.
  Oh and I found that if you use the main distribution center in your area rather than one of the small offices you get better care of your goods.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
we lose so much business with our custom service hours its not funny! 3:30-6:30 is just crazy!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline eddie885221

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
My girlfriends grandfather started UPS, I'll use UPS :-)

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
The real sad thing is is that they told you that a PADDED ENVELOPE would be fine. FOR A  LARGE FILE WITH A POINTED END? You sent it prioity mail and the priority boxes are free.The lady at our PO is keeping a eye out for it but not sure what that means also our and your local "loose items center" and hoping it will turn up soon.we gave them the description and name of it also sentimental value,it may take days to weeks before we hear anything.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Muleyslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »
Thanks Frank and tell Shell Thanks for going out of both of your ways for me.  Ill be hounding them and the next one will be in a bomb proof box-insured-confirmation.  I'm getting a Stic knife if I have to drive there myself!
"LUCK"
When preparation meets opportunity

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Gotta say I'd personally prefer the postal service priority mail over FedEX and UPS any day of the week. Hopefully your package is found.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
I watched a UPS driver in the DC area push items to the back of his truck so he could offload them and make a delivery.  This included tossing packages and actually kicking one from the front of the truck to the back.  I WATCHED it.  Gave him a real taste of my mind too.
ChuckC

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
Things can be lost or broken with any carrier. Never personally had any issues with USPS. I do insure all my shipments and I do think things are better taken care of when insured. Not sure how much that helps on something that is lost though.

Don't give up hope, it still may show up.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2010, 03:40:00 PM »
Muley, before you decide to go UPS to keep your stuff safe, ask someone why UPS will no longer ship firearms unless they are air insured.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
I like the USPS.  Never had a problem.  At least they deliver on Saturday.  I know when they deliver, too.  UPS can arrive at anytime and can't narrow it down at all.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
USPS Priority every time.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
Got my last bow delivered by USPS with nary a scuff on the container. I know for a fact that with Fedex a "fragile" sticker might as well say "kick me".
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
I have used them all a lot and USPS has the best record for me anyway, UPS the worst. FedEx has worked ok too; they paid a claim I had-UPS did not. USPS is the way to go for my stuff.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©