3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Set Me Straight... Is It True?  (Read 383 times)

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Set Me Straight... Is It True?
« on: June 19, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
I've been told that a bow string with "less strands of fast flight material" shoots harder and quieter than a heavier (more strand material) string. Padded loops in both cases..... Is This True?

... mike ...  :dunno:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Set Me Straight... Is It True?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
On some bows Mike....yes

I have one Kwyk Styk that shoots better(quieter) with a thin string, and one that doesn't.

Just my experience   :archer2:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Reaper TN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
Have them on two of my bows and they both shoot harder and quieter.  With one of my bows, the string change caused me to have to go to a stiffer spined arrow.
TT Pinnacle II  45# 62"
Hoyt Excel  50# 64"

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
I would have to say Yes, but skinny to me is 12 strands of Dynaflight 97, I'll leave the real skinnies up to the other fellas ...

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
yes
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 12:32:00 AM »
I don't think it is an absolute. It's kinda like bows,they all have their own personality.It didn't seem to make that much difference on mine. One bow doesn't like the skinnies at all. I would buy one and try it. Or buy a spool of string and tie your own. Gary

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 03:56:00 AM »
I went from a 16 strands FF string to a 6 strands ultra string with padded loops from SBD. I didn't recognize my bow afterwards!     :scared:      Much faster, silent and death in the hand! I must have shot thousands of arrows with it, and it doesn't show any wear yet. I wax it very frequently however, as recommended.
SBD is sponsor here and makes very good ones. Besides of that, Pierre is a real gentleman and a pleasure to do business with. Here's the link:     http://www.sbdbowstrings.com/index.html
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 05:32:00 AM »
As said above, there will probably be some bows that will like a thicker string, though it sort of defies the laws of physics.. A thinner string will have less resistance and less friction going from the release and back to brace height.
As for noise, a thinner string will have a smaller surface to cause vibrations with, but the added speed will make the vibrations more powerful.. This will also depend on the stretch/density of the string material. At least I think it will.. ^^
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 06:04:00 AM »
treat each stick bow as the unique entity it is, and experiment with string fibers and strand count - you may be well rewarded for your efforts ...
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
Thanks To Everyone!

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
Wax prevents abrasion and acts as a lubricant for the strands, but it stop all wear nor does it heal strands that are broke. It will however hide the failure of the strands by preventing them from getting the fuzzy look.

I have no problem with someone going on the "light side" (down to 9 or better yet 12 strands dynaflight) but I think going extremely light (this 6 strand stuff) is a major no-no and I am sure people will run into problems in time with such strings.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Lee Dogman:
Wax prevents abrasion and acts as a lubricant for the strands, but it stop all wear nor does it heal strands that are broke. It will however hide the failure of the strands by preventing them from getting the fuzzy look.

I have no problem with someone going on the "light side" (down to 9 or better yet 12 strands dynaflight) but I think going extremely light (this 6 strand stuff) is a major no-no and I am sure people will run into problems in time with such strings.
I think every string is better of with waxing on a regular base. I am aware it won't stop wear  or heal broken strings ofcourse!  :D  I didn;t say that!

Using 6 strands strings (with padded loops) depends on the poundage of the bow. i.e. SBD recommends 6 strands strings for bows till 53 lbs.
I don't see how you could run into problems with such strings?
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
HEY Mikey!!!!

I've found the lighter strand (10 or 12 strand) strings shoot a bit quieter, but all my lighter strand strings have 6 strands of dacron in the loops which definitely helps.  For the most part I shoot dyna 97 with 10 strands on my ACS.  Funny thing is the 97 is noisey on my Shrew   "[dntthnk]" ....the Shrew prefers the 450 plus.  

Ed was shooting ultra cam on his widow not long ago and I thought it really helped reduce any bow noise.  You might want to give that material a try.

Take care my friend!......Tim

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
I've been told that a bow string with "less strands of fast flight material" shoots harder and quieter than a heavier (more strand material) string. Padded loops in both cases..... Is This True?
Like others have said, it depends.  I saw a post recently where Ron LeClair's string maker adds some dacron to his 450+ strings and they are quieter.  That's adding weight.  Mike Treadaway has added dacron to his FF strings for years and years--he says it's the quietest string for his bows.  The 450+ and FF are carrying the load--the dacron in those strings is just added weight.

There are lots of variables to consider other than just strand count.  How it's made, what it's made from, type of bow, brace height, arrow weight, proper spine, your release, nock fit, silencer placement, etc. etc. etc.

I haven't had a bow I can't get hunting quiet without a tiny string.  I haven't done much experimenting with tiny strings at all, because with them I loose the things that make me prefer HMPE materials to begin with.  Those things are durability, lack of stretch, and lack of creep.

The only way to know if you will gain anything is to experiment, but be aware that "everything is a trade-off".

Chad

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
"Everything is a trade-off" equal to the smart way of thinking. Everyone has been helpful on this thread.

... mike ...  :notworthy:  ...

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
I'm relatively new to this stuff but I started making my own stings in January just to play around.  I tried 8 strand 8125 with padded loops and it helped my 57# Big River LB somewhat, certainly quieter not sure about faster.  I put the same string on a 51# HH Big Five and the result was nothing short of amazing.  With a Dacron string the Big Five would rattle my teeth, with the 8 strand the vibration is almost nothing.  I was going to sell the Big Five until that skinny string - now it's part of the arsenel and has a place on the bow rack.  One of these days I'll chronograph my bows with and without skinny strings just to satisfy my own curiosity but from what I have experienced so far, they are on my bows to stay.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
I have 3 bows with skinny fast flight strings.  They are all faster and quieter with them.  I like an 8 strand fast flight material for my 55lb bows.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
I doubt if it would be for all bows but for all mine the answer is yes. I have the same setup on all with D97 at 8 strands with padded loops to 16. Makes my low poundage 50 pound bows come to life.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
They are quieter on most of my bows.I shoot 6 and 8 strand strings on most bows.I pad the loops to 12 strands.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline ArrowCrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
I just ordered an SBD string..

:archer2:    :archer2:    :archer2:    :archer2:
Yours In BowHunting,

Bob

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©