3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: South African Newbie!!  (Read 412 times)

Offline gamo

• Trad Bowhunter
South African Newbie!!
« on: June 20, 2010, 03:38:00 AM »
Greetings from sunny SA!!!   :knothead:   I found a website in RSA that some of you might find interesting  www.heartwoodbows.co.za  ,take a look. Once in Namibia ,I will be on a 12000 hectare farm with plenty oryx,kudu and springbok ,and will only allow bowhunting on the farm. Maybe I will become an "advertiser" on the forum soon!!!
Anyway , anybody have any questions , fire away , will try and help as far as I can!
Great site ,by the way!
Cheers
Brian

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: South African Newbie!!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 03:47:00 AM »
Gidday Brian and welcome to Tradgang...
given your location mate there will be a bunch of people ready to say "Hi !" and will be more than willing to come over and introduce themselves personally....LOL

Does the bow your referring to have wheels, cables and pulleys ? If not then you should be ok !   :thumbsup:

As for the wooden bows and bowyers  etc of America  , up the top of this page there is great bunch of TradGang sponsors whom will be able to make the bow of a lifetime. Being here in Australia doesn't mean the tyranny of distance [ much like SA ] stopped us from getting our hands on some dandy bows !
again welcome and hoping you enjoy the site as much as i do...
Hoping the World Cup treats you well.

Ben
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 03:58:00 AM »
Welcome to this site,you'll fid a lot of answers if you make a search here in the forums.Used bows are affordable here running from $150.What you can need is someone that could teach you the basic of the shooting.If you don't know many bowhunters in your area,I guess that some FITA clubs will be in the area.They have good training shools and usaully some bows to loan.Make some experience before buying a bow.
The other solution is to pay for a professional Bowhunter you pay me the airplane ticket and take me on your hunting spot and I'll show you how to take those oryks and kudus for free,a free bow for you is on the deal.LOL
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 04:10:00 AM »
Brian,welcomr aboard !Take up Felix on his offer ,a better person and hunter you won't find and I'll have to come along as an interrprator as Felix's language is hard to understand but my Knowledge of his language and his humor will make the trip worthwhile I'll also kick in all the arrows and extra equipment you'll need!LOL.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline gamo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 04:17:00 AM »
Thanx for the offers guys!!! Looking forward to my new venture!! Very daunting selling your house , resigning from work,wife selling her bussiness,etc. New beginnings ,completely!!! I will post once I am up and running. Will take me a while to get everything organised ,but it WILL get done! LOL. $150 for a bow?? That is cheap ,guys!! The cheapest I can get is R8500 (divide by 7,5 for US dollar) For an unemployed South African , that is a lot of money!  :knothead:

Offline gamo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 04:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ben Maher:
Gidday Brian and welcome to Tradgang...
given your location mate there will be a bunch of people ready to say "Hi !" and will be more than willing to come over and introduce themselves personally....LOL

Does the bow your referring to have wheels, cables and pulleys ? If not then you should be ok !    :thumbsup:  

As for the wooden bows and bowyers  etc of America  , up the top of this page there is great bunch of TradGang sponsors whom will be able to make the bow of a lifetime. Being here in Australia doesn't mean the tyranny of distance [ much like SA ] stopped us from getting our hands on some dandy bows !
again welcome and hoping you enjoy the site as much as i do...
Hoping the World Cup treats you well.

Ben
Ben , no pulleys,cams,wheels or cables!! So IM OK!!!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »
I think your post just shows us that we as human beings... or least not all humans have lost that adventuresome spirit, the same spirit that settled all the great nations of the world.

It takes people willing to get out of the comforts of hearth and home to "Get'er done!"!

God speed and good luck!

Your Humble Servant
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
:wavey:

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
Welcome aboard Brian. You are right: people in the USA are spoiled with so many choices for bows. I live in The Netherlands and we don't have many chices here also. That's why I ordered a bow in the US   :p  .

If traditional shooting is new for you, I would cetainly take a look at this book:  http://www.shootingthestickbow.com/
It's one of the best investments in archery I made and on Amazon it sells under the US$20,-

Ik wens je een baaie goeie tijd hier! (Don't know if yoy speak South Africain?)

If you have nay questions, just ask them here, I am sur they can be adressed!

Have fun!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
Brian,
You're in for a lot of fun. Welcome to the site.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
Welcome Look forward to having you around.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
Welcome to the family.

FYI: The  www.heartwoodbows.co.za  website will not download for me.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
Welcome !!!

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Jmgcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
Welcome to the   :campfire:  .
Life is not about surviving the storm, but learning to dance in the rain!
Blessed is the Nation whose God is the LORD,... Psalm 33:12

Offline levibear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
Welcome Brian   :D
Never trade time for money, cause when your out of time money don't matter

Offline SourOwl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
BRIAN, DO YOU SHOOT RIGHT OR LEFT HANDED?  WE LEFTYS NEED ALL THE BROTHERS WE CAN GET - - MIKE IN BEAUTIFUL WASHINGTON STATE
SourOwl

Offline David Spear

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
Bafana Bafana, unlucky against Mexico. Been to any matches? There are some beautiful stadiums. I hope they put France out of their misery tomorrow and advance. GO BOYS.

Dave
TGMM family of the bow
Member since 6/6/09

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
Welcome to Trad Gang Brian!  Lots of opinions and solid advice here.  Don't be shy about asking questions.  There are a lot of members here that are very generous with their knowledge and experience.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline gamo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 02:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by SourOwl:
BRIAN, DO YOU SHOOT RIGHT OR LEFT HANDED?  WE LEFTYS NEED ALL THE BROTHERS WE CAN GET - - MIKE IN BEAUTIFUL WASHINGTON STATE
SourOwl , im a righty!1 Originaly left handed ,but I lost vision in my left eye , and had to "convert" LOL

Offline gamo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 02:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by David Spear:
Bafana Bafana, unlucky against Mexico. Been to any matches? There are some beautiful stadiums. I hope they put France out of their misery tomorrow and advance. GO BOYS.

Dave
David , I am not a big soccer/footbal fan. I prefer rugby (more of a mans sport!!)LOL You from RSA??

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©