3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: if you had selfbow skill would ya ever buy another bow???  (Read 702 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
if you had selfbow skill would ya ever buy another bow???
« on: June 20, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
i have a good collection of selfbows from many on this site. bows by Mark Baker, Keith Deters, Joe Weed, and Ron Waldron. these bows are absolutly FABULOUS!!! works of art and deserve to spill blood in the field. now for ME if i could build a bow 1/4 as good as these bows i'm about positive i would NEVER buy or hunt with a production bow. i just can not get over the performance and beauty of these bows. now i ask you if you could build a bow like these fellas would you still buy custom, production bows???
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: if you had selfbow skill would ya ever buy another bow???
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
Yup.
You would not BELIEVE how lazy I can get!

Plus, while I love to shoot self bows,I am still roaming around and trying out all the different types of bows that I can. Not the tryout like shoot a few arrows on an afternoon. No, I wanna bring it home, make strings and arrows, play with this and that. Gotta live with it a while.

I am still finding out what I really want in a bow. And I am getting on in years. So many bows...
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
Killy you have some nice bows FOR SURE but to me there is nothing as sweet as a well made selfbow that just seems to ooze soul throught the limbs! now don't get me wrong i have bows that are really special to me becouse of the people they are from but the selfbows just seem so full of life that you can feel it flow through the entire bow.

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
Short answer is YES.  :D  

I build selfbows but I also admire the work of the guys who do the laminated bows as well.
I got a lovely and smooth shooting r/d longbow from Mike at Maddog a couple months ago...  :thumbsup:

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
Paul please feel free to post a pic of one of your bows as i love looking at selfbows. again i do have other bows i love and i'm sure i'll buy many more BUT if i had the skills i highly doubt i would ever bow another new bow.

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
i have to agree here, i love selfbows and their character/ soul but also i admire the beauty and craftsmanship of a good glass laminated recurve and the other types of bows.  just like killdeer said im still figuring out exactly what fits me.
Richard

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
Even though i don't do selfbows... no patience... I know what you're talking about.   i do laminated, and after I built the first one, I stopped buying production or even custom bows.   I still have a very few fine customs and vintage, but they just never get shot.   There's something about shooting a bow and knowing that it came from your hands, even if it's not as good as others, or as beautiful, that makes it special.  Learning to build, whether self or laminate, is the one cure I've found for the bow buying virus!
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
I am a collector of sorts so yes, I must collect.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
It is my mission in life to keep the custom bowyers in business!   :D   (plus i have no building skills so there is that small hurdle to overcome).
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
NOPE!!!!!
I was Dubbed,"Tightwad Todd" a long time ago.LOL
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
when I finally fork out the dough to build my own laminated bows, I probably will never buy another bow, lol
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
What Killdeer said.......it's just fun! Plus I afraid mine are about to blow up and self destruct at any moment! Reddogge, collector of sorts...me to!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
Well you know I would! I would buy a bow a week if'n I could afford it. LOL

I'm learning the selfbow gig and just finished a sweet shooting little boo backed jatoba. Can't wait to get my first snaky character bow done. I just love those things.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
I recently trade two $500.00 production bows to get one of my selfbows back,,, I could not get over the loss so to me it was worth it!!!  :knothead:  

Archery to me comes in many different forms such as primitive (selfbows), traditional (laminated all wood, bamboo or horn bows), Modern traditional (glass, pheolics bows). So, because I like to shoot all of them, the potential to buy or trade for one I may want is a good possibility.

By the way Ken,,, thanks for the fine compliments! I still miss "WARDOG" too!!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
"I ask you if you could build a bow like these fellas would you still buy custom, production bows???"--adkmountainken

Absolutely!!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline gilbarbarian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
I'm with you Ken, I have only made a couple but I love the idea of trying to perfect the bow.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
Yep, I did, a sweet little Anneewakee Addiction, lam bow named "Blackie". However I loved making the 4 or 5 self bows that I did in the last three years, and hunting with a couple of them. I will never regret those years and lessons learned, and I'm reasonably sure (time left permitting) that I will make and use two or so more self bows before the last bugle call is sounded. However I decided I also needed to use the lessons I had learned before going primitive again also, and the "Addiction", from bowyer, Lee Hoots (Hootsbows), made for Sponsor John Dill (Anneewakee Archery), stole my heart away.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 06:10:00 AM »
i hope to talk Ron W in to helping me build a bow at some point this year. i would be proud to make ANYTHING that would be heavy enogh to hunt with!

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 07:14:00 AM »
Yes, most definitely.  Selfbows (and any longbow, for that matter) don't do a thing for me and I don't enjoy shooting them, so I would still buy a composite recurve.  I think it is fantastic that people do build and hunt with bows they have made themselves, though.  I'm just not that hardcore.  I'd probably use a selfbow before I shot an old-school longbow, though!
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 07:32:00 AM »
Just let me add that there is so much real fun and satisfaction to both making and shooting a self bow that I firmly believe every archer/bowhunter should try either or both at some time.

The recent Ultimate Archer class at the NC State championship shoot - in which contenders had to shoot the course three times - once LB, once Rec, and once Primitive, had a lot of folks hustling for, and shooting, a primitive (all wood) bow for the first time. While some found it harder, some found a "new way to go" - LOL. I think most all got a dose/feel of the difference in flight (arc of the arrow) and fun factor. Many, I'm sure, have extended their trad archery enjoyment.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©