3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: if you had selfbow skill would ya ever buy another bow???  (Read 701 times)

Offline marsniper27

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: if you had selfbow skill would ya ever buy another bow???
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »
yes i would.

There are many bows that i think are beautiful pieces of art and shoot amazing to go with it. I would love to have a few of these bows. I do not and would not want to copy anyones designs so i would definitely buy one.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »
if and when i learn to build a longbow my buying days will be gone without even a glance back.will mean so much more to know that i created this bow.cant wait.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline shamus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
I make my own selfbows. The only glass bows I have are a few vintage recurves.

No, I don't feel the need to buy any bows. If I want a custom, I make my own.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
I started out making board bows the proceeded to learn to make selfbows and now I am into miking fiberglass laminated bows, so for me I would'nt just stick to selfbows.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
I will be the odd man out---again.

Building either selfbow or fiberglass becomes like an addiction. You build you shoot you think I could tweak this and make it better, so you build shoot and tweak. Even as you find what you consider to be your favorite type short, long, osage, hickory, you think I could improve my tiller, handle. Next thing you know years of building has passed. Your other bows collect dust. I look at them shoot them maybe once a year, mostly not. I want to build hunt and kill with my equipment, doing it my way. We all start down a path some of us stop along the path where we are comfortable others keep walking. I am still waking down the primitive path. I have stopped and looked back only once I didnt regret it but I dont see me doing it again any time soon.

I have wanted another pronghorn a one piece. Mostly just to have. Not necessarly to shoot and hunt with.

Maybe as I age and my shoulders give out I will change my tune, but probably not.

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
I agree with Jack. For lack of time I haven't made any yet but I also haven't bought any new bows and only own one. I haven't bought any other bows in part to keep me motivated to make my own.

Once I start building my own I don't think I will buy other bows just because the satisfaction of knowing I made it myself.

Ultimate goal is to build my own selfbow, cane arrows and own knapped heads.

I'd love to reach the level of Mike Yancey or Ed Scott's bows.

However, I do love to look at and admire all the different wood styles and patterns of the laminated bows too.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
I have built and hunted with all sorts of bows I have built.I still buy bows once in a while however because I like trying new ones..Some I might hunt with and some never make it to the woods.I usually hunt with about 3 bows a year but tend to favor selfbows and bamboo backed bows the most.I just like how quiet the all wood bows are.A big plus for deer hunting where even slow bows work just fine.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
I want so bad to build my own bow. The problem is I have ZERO woodworking skills. I am going to try anyway. This site is great for getting some good instruction. My ultimate goal would be to build a bow, something like a Mr. Scott Owl, purity it up and kill a big buck or elk with it...I get the feeling if I ever could build something to hunt with I'd not have very many production bows. Right now I own 3 bows. One I hunt with, and 2 that are just taking up space  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
I'm hoping to find out pretty soon.  Being broke pretty much means I won't be buying any new bows whether I can make one that's hunting worthy or not.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »
I have made several good self bows and plan to make many more, and continue to buy hunting bows from the best-A&H, Schafer etc.
I love working with wood and making bows; but the top bowyers make them way better than me.

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
I guess haveing been caught up in the many years of "wanting the best" to make me shoot better, or selling bows to people that have no clue for what reason they are buying it other than a name, I would have to say my goal now is the make myself the best selfbow I can.  Would I buy a bow? Yes.  Do I go out of my way looking for one?  No.  I guess now in my old,febal ways, I just get more enjoyment out of building bows.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
I had the selfbow fever for a while.  I knocked out nine of them in a relatively short time.  They are fun to shoot, and I still have a couple hanging on the wall.  When time permitts I may go back to making them, but for now, I like the performance of a well built custom bow.
Ken Thornhill

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
I started making my own bows because I'm so cheap.  I think I did buy one bow for $10 at a garage sale once.  I tell ya, that hurt.  But I sold it for $40 so the pain went away later.

I have traded selfbows for glass bows though.  I like them too.  But I wouldn't buy one.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »
If I could buil a backed self bow like Ed Scott I would probally only shoot my bows .
" Live long and prosper "

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
Hey Ken,
Maybe we could get Ron to help a few of us out with a class to get us started. I would love to give it a go. I would still buy some others though. I do love bows, but my Lost Creek may have put an end to my buying days.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
Dan,
    i'll run it by Ron, i'm sure he is watching this thread as it is! i had asked him to help me before and he said no problem.  not sure how many would be interested or if we could get schedules to jive but i bet he would be willing to help a few of us. what say ya Ron???????
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
I don't have the experience or the room to run a class BUT, I will offer my help to anyone who wants to try. My best have come from a purchased roughed out stave and that's a good way to learn without a lot of unnecessary headaches. I have had staves from Mr.Scifres, Gary Davis and  a couple of others...in my opinion a good way to start!   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline dagwood64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
When I finally get the time and skill, I would not buy another bow again.

Duane
DEER THE OTHER RED MEAT!

62" Sasquatch T/D Hybrid 47@28
64" Sasquatch T/D Static Tip RC 50@28
64" Flatliner Stealth 45@29
64" Thunderstick III 55@29, for now.
60" Big Rock Black Hunter 35/40@28 (Daughter's)

Sirach 2:1-11

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
Yes I would....  but it would have to be the right bow... for the right reason.

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2010, 11:32:00 PM »
Ron,
Sent you a PM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©