3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who is back from Compton and what was your highlight?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
Who is back from Compton and what was your highlight?
« on: June 20, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
Well who is back from Compton and what was your highlight of the trip? Pictures would be nice to. Thanks Flint

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who is back from Compton and what was your highlight?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
Well, my highlight was beating Tony Carpenter from Wisconsin for the 2nd year in a row in our friendly competetion. Or maybe, shooting with Ron LeClair, Tom Parsons, Richard Dooley, and Mike Anderson. No, wait... shooting the CariBow bows and Stalker recurves.  Maybe it was winning the wine, sausage, and cheese raffle prize from JPE. Helping with the kids seminar/shoot? It was all fun!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
It was my first trip.  I just had fun shooting and breaking arrows with my youngest son for two days.  Ryan's tracking dog seminar was very good also.

Offline stickytoes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
My nine year old chipped in to buy his first
Recurve (a bear cub) from big Jim and we shot his first 3-d coarse and he did really well.it was a great event and we really hope to camp here next year.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
My highlight was meeting guy's at the greet and meet
and shooting the course with Don and his wife, Mo and his girlfriend (nice kids), Bryce , brian (did you get your arrow out of that tree? lol) and my partner of the day John. Just a nice bunch of people who I am blessed to have met. Thanks everyone.
Terry
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
Passed through on Friday on a trip back to KS from MI.  Hung out with Jim Jones (Firefly bows) and a few other friends. Wonderful event, vendors etc.  

Disappointed I only had a few hours there. . . this is definitely something I would plan for as a future essential weekend event.  

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline gregk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »
It was my first trip up there, i am definitly going back. Lots of great vendors and bowmakers. I thought the courses were nice.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
My highlight was shooting with my wife and daughter yesterday evening. We pretty much had the course to ourselves because it was during dinner time. It was a nice, quiet time with my family.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
It was my first time there so it was all a highlight.

I started 8at 8 on Friday and went till after 5.  Sat down about 15 minutes all day.  Shot all the courses at least twice each.  Found a lot of Tradgange members and other that I didn't know.  I lost track of all the names.  I was shooting on my own, but would just jump around and catch up and find someone to shoot with each time.  Shot with some local Kzoo guys a few times here and there when I found them.  Shot some great bows.  Found I could shoot a PCH low grip like nothing I have had in my hand yet when I took one out and shot the green course.  It wasn't even set up right for me and my arrows were kind of week, but boy did it shoot.  No missed shots with a bow I never shot before and most were good solid hits; need a part time job now.  Shoot a lot of foam stuff I didn't even know where to shoot it at.  Can't shoot off a horse very well. All that clay target shooting played off when I managed two areal hits in a row with one more graze all on my third round when I got used to the flu flu speed.  That was too much fun!

The wife and kids did the whole day running around having a good time with no complaints even with the heat.  The kids didn't want to leave because they had so much fun.  They made me shoot two more rounds on the way to the truck so they could see more of the animals on the course.  They gave great reviews of the other kids there.  Most all were vender children and everyone got along fine.  I heard a lot about the soccer ball in the face and bloody nose.  That was the big excitement of the playground;  I have heard about that about 10 times now.  The kids didn't want to go home, but we dragged them off so we could get out on the hwy just as the rain started.  We raced home with the storm on our heals.  Everyone got some dinner, drank lots of water, and collapse in a deep sleep in the AC.

Saturday I got back about 8 for more fun after doctoring up a couple blisters I earned from the 9 hours of walking in some not so great tennis shoes from the day before, and this time with some decent light weight hunting boots.  I meet up with a couple Tradgange members I had never meet before in the parking lot, and we off shooting before long.  More fun trying bows and meeting more people.  I ran into Jim Jones of Firefly bows.  I had talked to him, but never in person.  Great guy for sure!  I found Kentucky TJ in the main vender tent and dragged him all over the place for a few hours.  Talked the pour guys ear off;  I don't get out much.   I shot his Centaur so now I fore sure need a part time job.  We ran into Daniel Bergsma, boone the hunter.  Boy is he tall.  I have to go back and look at the big buck he shot last year.  Those tines are a lot longer than I though.  Very nice guy to meet.  I got us to the Tradgange meeting late because I was trying to get a Shrew from Mr. LaClaire to try out, which I did, so make that a second full time job.  I also had us going to the wrong area when we first got started looking for everyone.  We did manage to get there just after the group photo, and meet a lot of people including Arwin and his daughter, Oliver Stacy and a lot more I can't recall right off without working up a list.

Somewhere along the way we shot more bows and then ran into Skyler and his friend, maybe Mason or Matt, in the vender tent.  I recognized Skyler right off, but missed his friends name a little.  It took a second to tune my northern ears a hair.  Very nice young men.  Skyler's friend got a new Shrew. I wanted to shoot it, but kept my mouth shout.  He was excited for sure.  Sounded real nice.  Looking forward to more stories with those guys in them and some pic's of that Shrew.

Well I dragged Kentucky TJ around some more and managed to talk his other ear off in the process.  He was saved when I had to hit the road home about 1:30 pm to the family to catch up with them and make the rounds of some family birthday parties and graduation parties.  I should have probably bought the guy lunch for his trouble, but I was having too much fun to think about lunch.  Maybe next time.

I managed to not have to hunt for any of my arrows.  I pulled a few out of the mud from low shots, and I did side swipe that tree next to the ram on the blue course and snap an arrow in half.  Other than that and a low shot into a log, which I got out, I did ok.  I can't wait until next year.  I am sure I left out a whole lot of people and memories that will pop into my head as the days pass.  I am still resting up after too much fun.  I only wish I had more time to stay.

I packed around a camera for most of two days and never thought to take it out and shoot pic's.  I hope someone did.  Next year I will.  The first time shooting 3D and being with so many great people was just too much fun to think of getting the camera out.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
Hmmmmmmmm......the "highlight"......you ask ???

For me, it was the meet and greet also as well as talking with all the people that I ran into. It was a whirlwind tour and the two days were over much to quickly. My wife and I met a bunch of GREAT people and I'm not even going to attempt to name them all, due to my poor memory.

Bryan Horner, Terry Folts, Bryce Olson, Mo and his girlfriend Lillian.......sorry, I can't remember their last names, and another fine longbow shooting gentleman and myself shot some courses together after the group photo of the Trad-Gangers. Thanks to my lovely wife of 30 years we have LOTS of pictures for me to go through and I will post them later.

Friday was spent shooting every different bow that I could get my hands on and there were plenty of bowyers represented there. I did have one STANDOUT bow for me, and Mr. South Cox can expect an order in the very near future. Bryan and I would go to a seperate vendor and meet back out at the target bags and shoot them both, return them and get something else to try. We all enjoyed the very fine chilli supper on Friday evening and called it a day.

Saturday was another whirlwind day and we arrived by 8am again.......warmed up our shooting muscles and prepared to shoot till our arms fell off. I believe that there were 38 people that actually signed up at the Trad-Gang meeting but it sure looks like more than that in the pictures. Our group shot two of the courses together and it was an absolutely FANTASTIC time getting to know some "like minded" people. My hats are off to each and every one of the Comptons folks that make this shoot possible every year. It is a very well run event and I will be returning in the future.

Look for a few pictures of the Trad-Gangers that were represented there shortly. I'll post more later.......I'm plumb tuckered out this evening.

Stay tuned for MORE..........

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
Shooting with the family, the kids shoot (which is why I missed the Tradgang get together), and picking up my new Northern Mist LB that someone was trying to buy when I walked up!! It is always nice meeting with all the folks that I see only at shoots as well. Great time.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
Good times and Great people.  Fiday night was very eventfull, Saturday was probably the best day we have had this whole year, and I just can't resist the Aerial Targets.  I was there till 0100 hrs having a ball, and the best part was having all the kids there that late having just as much fun as myself.  I met tons of new people while sitting in the Michigan Longbow Association booth next to the Turkey Shoot, Every camp I visited had a trully awesome feast layed before their guests.  Heck, just our camp alone had deep fried elk steaks, elk burgers, bratwurst, dutch oven ribs, fire cooked chicken, jumbaliya, taco salad, summer sausage, deep fried asparagus, and the best marinated venison steaks I have ever tasted.

I guess you could say just being there was the highlight.  I'm glad I didn't miss it.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline tkytrac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
Man do I hate to pack up and leave.  It goes by so fast every year.  Guess its the GLLI and Elm Hall.
Charter Member of Compton Traditonal Bowhunters
Recording Secretary for Michigan Longbow Association
Associate Editor of MLA's STICKTALK Magazine

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
Well where to start.........

I loved it all: I have got to say being around so many wonderful people was the most fantastic part of it.  
I spent a bunch of my time in the woods, shooting and had the pleasure of shooting with several different groups of people.  It was so cool that you could just take off and go and have the opportunity to shoot with people you have never met in your life.  By the time you were done shooting, it felt like you were old friends.

Terry...., I never did get that arrow back LOL..  I would say it broke when someone tried to pull it out.  I guess that is what I get for shooting at a big skeeeeter and looking at the tree behind it LOL.  

I have also got to give a big thanks to Don and his wife for letting me come along with them.
   :notworthy:        :notworthy:        :notworthy:        :notworthy:    Thank you both so much!!!!!

Here is also a picture of a fellow tradganger Canadian Idle, shooting at Mongo.

I had the pleasure of shooting with him and two other Canadian gentlemen.  They had me laughing so hard I thought would wet my pants.

More to come!!!!!
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
I had two hghlights:
1.) Sitting inside our camp canopy and watching David Stinson (Hunt it) and Mel Riley (Irish) hanging on to the front wall in the face of 70 mile an hour winds,
2.) and making an Andersen Forge Damascus Knife trade with Chad Holm of Holm-Made Traditional Bows for one of his beautiful take-down long bows.

Other than that, I was once again thrilled to be surrounded by such a fantastic hoard of people gathered together for some serious fun
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
First I must say thanks to Tracey and Dave Balowski of St. Joe River Bows for a fantastic weekend!  You are family.     :cool:   Casey and I had fun hanging with you all weekend, it was a much needed vacation!

I have to post some pics of my new Helle knife they gave me. The handle is the spalted maple woods that are in my bows riser. This knife is gorgeous!!

Thanks to the folks at Comptons for putting on a great event this year. Everything came together perfect.    :thumbsup:    

We got a ton of shooting in and didn't stay away from the foam very long. I got in some fun shooting with Josh Sowerby(Oliverstacey). He slipped me a nice D-97 string for Vader, it really adds some performance to my bow. Josh has some pics floating around that MUST BE POSTED....Josh!   :goldtooth:  We were having fun.  

My mom surprised me on Saturday, which was awesome, I love spending time with her. She's been shooting alot and it showed on the course. Moms gonna put deer in the freezer this year!

Rick Marshall(Swietsrick) and his wife Connie made it out. They are great friends and fun to be with. Ricks new St. Joe longbow is beautiful and shoots so smooth. I imagine it won't be long before we see some Highlights pic from him.

I got to see MANY long time friends and felt so fortunate. I just wish there was more time to hang out with everyone I saw.    ;)
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
Well I messed up so I might as well put a pic in here........  This is a what the sky looked like Friday morning just down the road from the shoot.

I would also love to have this baby in my back yard.

What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline Capt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
Shooting with my 14 yr old daughter, and spending time with some "old" friends.

Watching my daughter talk to Ed Scott about making bows and getting a "hunting" weight bow for her from Ed.  

Meeting up with another true gentlemen in our sport David Miller and my daughter just sitting captivated by his stories and tips on hunting and shooting.

Just happy my 14 yr old still wants to shoot and be seen with Dad, and wants to learn and do more archery.

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 03:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by Arwin:

We got a ton of shooting in and didn't stay away from the foam very long. I got in some fun shooting with Josh Sowerby(Oliverstacey). He slipped me a nice D-97 string for Vader, it really adds some performance to my bow. Josh has some pics floating around that MUST BE POSTED....Josh!    :goldtooth:   We were having fun.  

Meeting several fellow TG members for the first time and a few for a second and third.  Many thanks to Joe "Whip" Lasch for letting me sell some strings at his booth.

I had a lot of fun shooting with Arwin and his daughter...here are some of the photos.

Arwin on his mighty steed:

Some of the people waiting and talking on one of the courses:

Nice row of bows:

I really had a lot of fun but not enough time to take it all in as usual, maybe next year I can stay the night.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 06:56:00 AM »
My list of highlights is long, but the main one would be meeting and then getting to know Thump (Luke Carribbia) and his kids. Our daughters corresponded a bit thru cyberspace before the show, and soon after meeting on Saturday, they seemed like they had known each other for a long time. My little girl has been a bit blue since we left. A sure sign of a heartfelt, good time.

Luke`s son impressed me greatly with his knowledge of the local plant variety. A valuable skill to a hunter is knowing the vegetation, and this young fella is a walking encyclopedia. After twenty years of trying, most of them look the same to me, so this skill is greatly respected by me.

Shooting a course with them, it made me realize how much I missed wood arrows. I switched to carbon a while back, and kidded myself that the carbon arrow was as quiet as wood coming from a bow.

As for Luke, a "gentlemen woodsman" is a good way to describe him. Stories of the Ohio bucks he chases got me daydreaming. A few minutes with his children is proof that he is a "traditional father", as well as a traditional bowhunter!  :thumbsup:   Absolutely top of the line! Great to meet you Luke!!! See you next year.

There are more highlights I`d like to mention, but for now, I`m gonna be late for work!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©