3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who is back from Compton and what was your highlight?  (Read 1192 times)

Offline JPE

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who is back from Compton and what was your highlight?
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 07:54:00 AM »
Two highlights; 1 meeting all the tradgangers that came thru our booth. 2 the stoms ending and nobody getting hurt.

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 08:07:00 AM »
Great weekend (Except the storm) thanks to everyone That stopped by and introduced themselves and hope everyone made it home safe. We are looking forward to 2011 already
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2010, 08:48:00 AM »
For me watching my son hit his 1st Aerial was as good as it gets! Then watching him hit about 8 more was pretty cool as well!!!!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
The highlight for me this year was seeing the look on Mason Shelton's face when he first saw the new Shrew Classic Hunter that his Dad Jimmy had ordered for him without his knowledge.

The other highlight was winning the chili contest for the 3rd time.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
Oh yeah, and I am jealous of my 5 yr old daughter's shooting form! She is flying solo now and shooting great! So much fun to watch. The funniest is my 2 yr old boy that says "I do it myself" and launches an arrow with all he's got down range. It is tough to keep them rounded up but worth every second. I hope I have a few pictures to post.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
The highlight of weekend is always the same, good time spent with great friends. I shared camp with Irish, Kbaknife, Mr.& Mrs. Hormoan and grandson - woodchip. Fantastic time. It was a little windy Friday night in the hundred acre woods but we survived again!
hunt it

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »
This was my first ever Compton experience as well and definitely won't be the last (Lord willing). Had a great time shooting around with Extrema312. He was on a time limit and was on a mission. We shot around a couple times and really was nice to get to know him a little and thanks for letting me shoot the Moab. As Todd said he made us miss the Trad gang photo by 10 minutes due to his Shrewitis, so I may have to photoshop he and I like KilRoys in the background. Hahaha.

I then met Horner (Bryan) at the clay pidgeon shoot and off he and I went up to the parking lot to grab some bows. He and I hit it off just like we had known each other all our lives. We then went to meet Winterhawk1960 and his wife (super people) and grabbed some of his bows and headed to the range. I'd hate to say how much money we were totting around at that point. We proceeded to shoot everything and were having a wonderful time getting to know each other when I got the call. My wife and daughter were at the hotel and the power had gone out. They didn't have a TV and they closed the pool. I had the car and my day was cut short when they couldn't take it any longer. Sorry I had to run off guys.

As Todd says we were walking through the tent and meet Skyler and his bud. That is one young man that is way beyond his years. Great to finally meet you Skyler and hopefully you and your Dad can make it up to bowfish with LoweBow and I.

Also met and enjoyed talking to Oliverstacy (Josh) and Daniel Bergsma wished we had more time to chat, maybe next year. My personal highlight although he had no idea who I was, was shaking Mr. Ron LaClair's hand. He's one of these larger than life men you look at and can just see all the stories and experiences of life in his face.

The Compton folks do an absolutely wonderful job with that massive undertaking and I would like to thank you guys. Whoever says you northern guys don't know how to treat folks has never been there.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online Witherstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
After years of shooting and hunting together, it was very special to see my wife decide to select and order her a new bow without any real input from me.  She'd try a bow and make several knowledgeable comments about what she liked or didn't like about its performance or feel.  I guess we are truly partners in this too now, and I like it!

BTW.  Thanks Jerry.  She is really looking forward to that Super Ghost recurve!!!

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
I think another highlight was watching the Compton board members and others busting hump to keep the seminar tent secured during the storm Friday night. I was impressed at how many others jumped in to help. I saw one young guy hustle his family into the safety of the pavillion then headed out to help secure the tie downs. The man with the hammer didn't miss a swing while pounding those stakes back in. Impressive! And of course, the tipi's didn't seem to budge at all.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
I had a chance to talk with Friday night's guest speakers, Connie and Gary Renfro. What a pleasure that was. Two more down to earth people you just won't find. You have to hand it to them, they aren't afraid to put in some extra effort to do what they enjoy.
Also had a good time working with all the volenteers and board members.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
It was all a highlight ! it was my first time there and it was terrific, meeting and talking to Fred Asbell was a highlight, as well as meeting a lot of the class acts of our sport. Spent way to much money at the booths, blanket swap and auction LOL
I really noticed that this Is a family activity and everyone was courteous and went out of their way to be friendly. A great bunch of people ! I enjoyed the camping with good friends.I Was so impressed with Compton's that I joined, I will be back again.
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline Last of the Breed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »

Watching my boys shooting!!!
1 John 1:7  , and the blood
of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
Spending the weekend with my son Sean and my buddy Doud(doug g)was great as always but when my daughter showed up Sat. morning after flying in from Fla., well that was the topper! First time in I don't know how many years I actually had both my kids here for Fathers Day.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
"First time in I don't know how many years I actually had both my kids here for Fathers Day."
-Rick Butler.

How cool is this? Way!! I'd say!!

I know you must have felt like a very blessed man.

Your Humble Servant
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
1.  Shot a Gemsbuck horn Owl bow.
2.  Ordered a new Meriah from Wild Horse Creek bows
3.  Had a buddy join me who had never shot a bow before, now he is a trad archer with a 69 Kodiak Hunter and a Driad 3pc and plans to bring his son up to Compton next year.

It was a good trip !
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline JohnI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
Chewing the fat with David Miller and John Lee. Two great guys.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
The highlight of the weekend for me without a doubt was listening to Skyler and Mason doing the "Best of Robtattoo" impersonations.  They nailed it!

Really, the best of Compton for me is always the time spent sitting around the fire with good freinds that I don't get to see nearly often enough.  At the risk of missing someone I won't try to name them all, but it seemed we had a steady stream of visitors around our camp.  I just love that stuff!  

Working the booth kept me busy the rest of the time, and believe it or not, I once again never even took my bow out of the case.  Just didn't want to miss a minute of visiting with freinds.
I can shoot any other day of the year....
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
Man, what a great time.  I came to the shoot from Oklahoma.  I would start shooting alone and fall in with a group and I met a lot of great people.  The language barrier was not a big problem.  People form Michagan do talk funny.
The highlights were shooting in the clay target matches and getting to purchase wool pullovers from the Asbell stock.  "Sagamore" who worked tirelessly with the clay targets made this a very enjoyable event.
The only thing I would do different if I get to return to Compton's would be to camp instead of staying in a motel.  You miss so much by staying in a motel.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gordon Jabben:
 People form Michagan do talk funny.

Ya better re-read what ya type eh???
  :readit:    

Sorry bro, couldn't help myself on this one.   :biglaugh:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
I need spell check!!!!  :o

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©