3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who is back from Compton and what was your highlight?  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who is back from Compton and what was your highlight?
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
My highlight was spending time with old friends and making new ones.  We had a big feed at our camp on Sat nite and I had the pleasure of spending much time with Mr. and Mrs. Ron La Clair.  Then he stopped by on Sunday when we were a little slower and we got to talk knives.  Ron has some beauties coming out soon for sure.  It was a good weekend.  Gotta go slow turn some lamb chops.

Offline UnderControl16

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
My favorite shot would either have to be the pink panther or the mosquito one. Loved being surroned by others that shoot Trad also and the friendly atmosphere that pulsed through everything. Favorite time was probably shooting the courses with the Tradgang group and i'm not even going to try to remember all 8 of your names even though i've "added" most of you but you know who you are. Great group of guys, Cooper, Folts, and Don just to name a few. Seeing my girlfriend Lillian get into the event so much and shoot so much without to much worry also was a highlight.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
This was the first ever Compton for Mason, Skyler, and me. We were not able to bring DW, ( Skyler's Dad ), because of work, RATS !!! Wanted to bring robbie tattoo but he too was held to the grindstone by "Miss Jules", haha !!! Gotta teach these two how to get a kitchen pass next year early !

Where do I start..... wonderful road trip for us even though it was 563 miles from TN. Did not realize how pretty Indiana and MI are. We arrived Friday morning to a forecast that had changed at the last minute to extreme heat and severe thunderstorms. Where can I get a job like the weathermen who are wrong half the time and still draw a paycheck ??? From the first few minutes till we left we continually met the fine folk at Compton and got to finally meet our heros we read about on the gang each day in person. Got to finally see lots of the vendors we never get to see in the South at our events. I especially had wanted to see the wool clothing vendors that are not as popular down South where it usually is pretty warm. My new best friends are Bill and Laurie of Gray Wolf Woolens. We spent lots of time with them, mainly trying to help empty their dutch ovens of desserts !!! Mason and Skyler came in handy in that department. Being 15 years old they have hollow legs and you cannot fill them up. Whip graciously allowed us to share the weekend and camp with them as well. He fulfilled a dream of ours to finally get to try elk meat. I am now saving $$$ for an elk tag Joe !!! I also very much enjoyed 4runr's company and his two fine kids, Adam and Emma. Felt like I have known you my whole life Kenny ! We learned a few new, " Yank" terms like, "Bubbler", ( Wisconsin for water fountain ), and " Striped Whistlers", ( Shaun's story about Iowa farmers buying minnows in Canada ). I didn't tell him we call 'em "minners", here in the South ! I realized I missed seeing a few gang members I wanted to see and shake hands with like KY TJ, guess I will catch him another day ? Was great to meet fletcher, rabbitman, and hormoan. Mason and I got to spend some great time with Mike knappin, thanks bud !!! G Fred graciously spent a few minutes with Mason and Skyler as well. One day them boys will look back at all the fine ladies and gents they did get the priveledge of meeting and realize how lucky they are.

The trip home was much longer than the way up that is for sure. Was a sad sight seeing Compton in the rearview mirror. I told Ron LaClair that we would be getting a big empty pickle jar full of loose change together over the rest of this year for gas $$$ for Compton 2011 !!! Awesome event, even more awesome folks that put it all together. We are truly Blessed !!!

Jimmy, Mason, Skyler
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
Yep, Jimmy`s story of his boy realizing the new Shrew he was holding was HIS...certainly a highlight.

Glad everyone is home safe.

My wife asked the question..."why is it just once a year?"  :D

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2010, 11:44:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2010, 12:31:00 AM »
Hey Jimmy, you only need to make it a quart jar bud. I'll throw in the balance for '11. Heck, half the folks I call good friends were there & I ain't missin' 'em no more! If I'd known Mel Dave & Brent were gonna be there, along with you, The Fat Kid & sky, Whip'o', Shaun, Dick & Smiley & all the rest, Id've crawled there over broken glass!

The look on The Fat Kid's face is priceless!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2010, 05:39:00 AM »
I am with you Whip....the highlight is the friendships and getting a chance to talk. Meeting my friend Craig finally face to face was super.

I will also add that Connie and Gary Renfro's talk on Friday night really got my heart pumping to do some elk hunting!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
I think I might have been one of the only ones to catch a, "moment" on Sunday morning..... Sometimes you gotta be still, look, and listen. If only I would have had a camera, but Skyler had it in his pocket.

As I was talking with my new Michigan flint knappin buddies, thanking them for all the pointers they gave Mason and I over the weekend, the moment almost slipped by me. I got a nudge from that little voice inside as I caught Ron and Redbird out of the corner of my eye.

Ron LaClair and Redbird were walking hand in hand across the grounds to the broadhead display area. No one was stopping them or talking to them and it was almost as if they were in their own little world. All I could think of was, " That is the way it is supposed to be. " Ron is a mountain of a man but you could see the tender side of him as he and Redbird were walking hand in hand Sunday morning.

nocams  :archer:
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
How cool is that!  Thanx for sharing Jimmy    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
Jimmy, I have had the privilage of getting to know Ron and Nancy over the last few years or so.  I always tell my wife if we are even half the couple they are when we have been together that long it will be a blessing.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guru:
How cool is that!  Thanx for sharing Jimmy     :clapper:  
Way!!!! I'd say!!!!!!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
Jimmy it was nice meeting you and your son Mason.  I have to say that Mason is going to be a great  flint knapper.  He does a very good job making a point now.  It was kind of neat having Ron LaClair and Norm Blaker sitting at our knapping site watching us and shooting the breeze as old buddies do.

Both are legend in their own right.  Ron the father of the longbow and Norm the father of flintknapping here in Michigan.

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
I've never seen so many trad guys in one place!  Out west, we just don't have that kind of hunter density.  What a great feeling of family. Gotta say, one of the highlights for me was visiting with Gary and Connie.  I'm sure I'm not the only guy to have followed Connie's writing over the years and wondered why Gary was the lucky guy.  Now that I got a chance to meet and hang out with both of them (I spent a couple of hours in the airport with them waiting for our flight), I'd have to say that Connie didn't do too bad herself.  I haven't laughed so much in a long time, he might consider an occupation as a stand up comic.
  Thanks for all of you guys that stopped by my booth and visited, it was great to put some faces with the names!

Offline crookedwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »
that looks like a good time.will have to get up there next year.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
Jon,
The feeling is mutual my friend ! We met so many fine folks at Compton. The pickle jar got it's first change deposited in it today. That be our gas $$$ for Compton 2011, Good Lord Willing !

Tim, that is exactly what I was thinking when I saw Ron and Redbird. Gives us something to strive for in our relationships doesn't it ?

Jon, here are some pics of the two points Mason knocked out whith ya'll and some others he made today. He has not put the rock down that Mike gave him since we got home !

TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
Great job Mason!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2010, 05:39:00 AM »
Wow, Those are great Mason!    :notworthy:    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
The Compton board members and Teresa Asbell (and the volunteers) worked their collective butts off.  My hat is tipped to them!  Great job and thanks for the best rendezvous ever!

I missed the TradGang conference...  I didn't see it on the card.  I'd like to meet more of you.  (Enjoyed seeing Whip though.)

I hung out a bunch with Robert McKenzie from Australia.  That was a treat.  Nice getting the scoop of how it is in other countries.

My "brother" Danny Dupuy was back in the game and we shared a camp with Big Jake and his daughter Danny.  That was great.

You never remember all the names, but thanks to all who shared their camp with me and allowed me to share my camp with them.  You are all blessings!

My highlight?  The evenings spent with friends around the camp, but there was something different this year.

I entered the "bigtop" at 11:00 Saturday to talk to as many of my friends as I could, and I exited the tent six hours later!  I still hadn't had time with everyone, but I put a big dent in it.

Second place in the Chili Contest wasn't bad...  But Ron, I'm gonna get you!!     :smileystooges:

Congrats to Ron, he sets the bar high, but I have some strategy for next year that I think might put me a little higher on the winner's platform.  Shootin' for gold next year!

Tom Colstead even stopped by our camp on his birthday and shared some stories with us.

I was able to introduce Robert to Ron LaClair and Norm and Dave Blaker as well.  

This was, for me the best Compton Rendezvous ever.  The Chili - Hotdog feed Friday night was great.  I helped serve the food and sooooo many folks were saying thanks for the feed...  What a group of folks.  

Compton is a fantastic organization and if you aren't a member, you should be.     :thumbsup:

See you next year!  todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©