3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kids arrow advise Appreciated  (Read 410 times)

Offline Trad2DaBone

• Trad Bowhunter
Kids arrow advise Appreciated
« on: May 06, 2007, 09:52:00 PM »
I need to make about 4 dz kids arrows for a summer camp archery project. Will be Flu Flus, with field tips and we will be shooting at areial targets (frisbee and styrfoam cup). Bow will be 30lb max (recurves) and arrows will be 28 inches long. With this info in mind ... how do the ramin wood shafts spine out,  1/4 or 5/16?
Any better choices for cheap arrows?
Thanks
Larry
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Offline pointy sticks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kids arrow advise Appreciated
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
Personally I wouldn't get too worried about spine. Unless I'm making them for a particular child using a particular bow, it's about the fun being had. Unless the kids shoot a lot they won't really notice. Most of the kids most likely won't be pulling 30# so it's hard to figure on the spine your going to need, I would just make them up. I get more worried about the grn/# of the arrow they are going to shoot. Not a very flat shot using 550grn arrows off a 20# bow. The arrows I make for my children (if I check them) spine anywhere from 25-40 and they are only shooting 19-21# They can have fun and thats all they really worry about.  Hope this give you some help with your quest. Good luck and have fun.
make em pretty and shoot em straight.

Secretary and Membership Chair
Bowhunters Association of Nova Scotia

Traditional Archers Association of Nova Scotia (member)

Archers Association of Nova Scotia (Member)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kids arrow advise Appreciated
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 06:54:00 AM »
I again would not worry about spine,I would concern myself more with easily available materials that are easy to work with.I would go with 5/16th ramin shafts,full length uncut feathers(cut them in half they go twice as far),5/16th snap-on nocks,and 5/16th 100gr. glue-on field points(tapered inside)

My 8 year old son Tyler shoots an 18# @ 20" Mikuta longbow. He shoots 5/16th youth arrows cut to 22",tapered,with a 100gr. glue-on field point. These little arrows fly like DARTS!!!!!

BTW, Thank You Very Much!!!!! For helping to teach the "Young Ones"   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©