3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever Get In Trouble Stump Shooting?  (Read 381 times)

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
Ever Get In Trouble Stump Shooting?
« on: June 21, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
I go roving around stump shooting in the woods quite often with a buddy of mine.  We have not been hassled yet though we have never ran into anyone that had the authority to do so either.  I am wondering if any of you guys have had an issue with this and how I could know if it is illegal or not? Would it be considered hunting if we have the small game point heads on but are not actually shooting at live game?

I saw this post on another thread...
"But I don't know if stump shooting is a viable option, it is illegal in my state on public ground, "it is unlawful to target shoot on state owned lands unless otherwise designated as a target shooting area"!!!!!!!!!!!!!"....

Cheers,

James

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever Get In Trouble Stump Shooting?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
Your state game laws will tell you if you can practice outside of a given season.We can in Jersey,but you can't have any arrows with broadheads on them.And most of the time if you don't draw attention to what your doing, they will not pay attention to what your doing.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
Here in CT it's technically target shooting and is illegal on state land.  Check your game regs (and keep a copy in your hunting pack).
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 11:39:00 AM »
I ran into our local DNR a few years ago while out stump shooting.  They told me in Michigan I had to have a valid small game license to be out shooting on state land.  We have a few animals that are listed as open season year round.  So now I just make sure I have a valid small game tag.

Check with you local law enforcement and see what they have to say and or recommend.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
Well I live in the corner known as TAG - Tennessee/Alabama/Georgia and do not have a TN or AL license even though I may stump shoot in those areas.  As well, I do not have a license when I go to 3D shoots in other states. How is this any different?  They are mostly on state land?

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
It's legal in Arkansas on private land. Always have a broadhead on a arrow also as hogs are legal year round.
bolong

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
I believe that sanctioned 3D shoots would come under a different section of the code. That's just an opinion based on my competition hunting of my Mountain Curs. We were allowed to tree squirrels and coons during a hunt even though it was out of season for both.

That is my thinking.. Worth at least what you paid for it..lol

Ditto what ipcjon2 said.... no broadheads on your person.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
Rabbit season open year 'round in Kansas....just sayin'....  :rolleyes:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
Same here. We can hunt several specias all year(coyote and wild boar, crow has a long season I think too), so Ohio boys just need a hunting license to stump shoot legally.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
'Round here the 3D shoots that are on state land are in designated target areas and are well posted as such.

Most states regs that I've read have some sort of description similar to this one:

Prima Facie Evidence of Hunting - Possession by any person of a loaded hunting implement while at or entering or leaving an area where a reasonable person would believe the objective was to take wildlife.

So having a bow and arrows in the woods = evidence of hunting from the state's point of view.

From a CO's point of view, they can't really tell if you're shooting blunts at stumps or small game, so I understand where the regs are coming from.  There's almost always something in season though...

If I were to go stumping or hunting in the neighboring states w/o a license I'd expect a hefty fine and the loss of my bow and arrows at a minimum.

Check your local (in your case all three state's) regs.  Those are the final answer.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
Here in NH if you are in the woods with a bow, other than on a target range, you need to have a hunting license. My wife used to stump shoot with me without the license and then we were stopped and told that she needed to have one...so she got one and started to hunt. She does very well.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
No problem in Colorado as far a I know, 'course I shoot on BLM or National Forest land.

The only time I ever was questioned I was shooting in a vacant lot (big) in town, and someone thought I was shooting at the poor prairie dogs. I wasn't, but the officer asked me nicely if I would stop, so I did.

I have since learned that it's illegal to discharge any projectile in the city, unless at a place designated for it. Bullets, arrows, or golf balls, it doesn't matter.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
Jackrabbits are open season here in Kalistan, my seven year old son and I went yesterday.  Good times.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
Stumpin, plinkin, what ever is illegal here in PA. Coyote season is open 365 days a year though. I make sure I wear my license and carry one arrow with a BH on it. Other then that, I have never run into any one while stumping any way. Not many people wander the woods I like to stump shoot at.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
My city code states you can not shoot arrows with steel points. It doesn't say you can't shoot rubber blunts.:^)

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
Stump shooting is one of my favorite pastimes.  There are three Mo. Cons. lands within five minutes of my house, so I tend to visit them often.  I have never encountered anyone of an official nature but I always have a MO small game license with me so if needed I could be "hunting" something.  I would be shocked if while in the woods here if I were to encounter an agent that it would be a problem.  There is the law and then there is the spirit of the law.

P.S. There is only a very short window when nothing is in season, most of the year there is something huntable.

Eric.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 01:49:00 AM »
starlings; English sparrows; Eurasian doves;mice; coyotes.... if you have a license and are out there hunting unprotected animals; then you should be able to stump shoot.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline B/W lvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 03:39:00 AM »
Wow I can't believe so many regs for a harmless game as stumping. I just go to the nearest forest with old stumps and shoot all day. who is going to know and who is going to come into the woods after me? Wait at my truck? You'll have a really long wait and if you leave your vehicle to look for me it may be disabled BAD when you get back.I'm not going to stop having some harmless fun and exercise because of some silly rules. FRANK

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »
Yup, when I lived in Washington state.  Was shooting on some land close to the house that was technically county park, but few people went there.  Most the ones I ran into thought my longbow was cool and had no issue but one guy took exeption and called the sherriff's office.  Didn't see the authorities that day, but several weeks later one saw me sitting in my car just after a shooting session and stopped.  He told me there was a comlaint lodged and it was illegal to shoot a bow in a county park, I asked to see it in writing, he showed me, didn't cite me as he never saw me shooting, and we went our separate ways, myself a little wiser.  Turns out there is a county ordinance that prohibits the "launching of missiles" in a county park.  All I can say is be polite if challenged, makes a world of difference.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
similar regs up here in MA....but again there are animals open season year round (except sundays)...again, I've never been hassled, but I try to be as polite and unassuming as I can.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©