3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cheap treestands  (Read 547 times)

Offline 8pnt

• Trad Bowhunter
Cheap treestands
« on: June 21, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
I have found a small very inexpensive treestand on Sportsmas Guide web site.  It is a sportsman guide model and sells for 29.95  I'm just looking for cheap small stands to hang on my property so weight is not an issue.  I have had a couple of stands stolen in the past so I dont like to leave my good stands and just use them on trips when weight is an issue.  I have also looked at an Ameristep Grizzly chllenger stand but it sells for 59.00.  Does anyone have any input on these stands or something similiar?

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cheap treestands
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
i bought some from dicks sporting goods they were around 35.00 i think good for what i need them for same purpose!

longevity well who knows finding out how long a cable will hold your wt could be dangerous!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by rnharris:
i bought some from dicks sporting goods they were around 35.00 i think good for what i need them for same purpose!

longevity well who knows finding out how long a cable will hold your wt could be dangerous!
I did the same and they are tuff and sit well.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 04:30:00 PM »
I also use the 35$ stands in the local woodlots and they are pretty good.A little squeaky at times but not bad.If I had acess to private land I would have no problem investing in one of better quality.I just hate having 200 bucks hanging in the woods that might not be there when I return.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »
Well I hope you save your money for the doctors if/when you crash and burn.  Does ObamaCare cover tree stand falls?  H

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
I have 2 of that exact model. Pretty nice stand for the price. They're a little heavy to pack in & out, by the time you've got a dozen screw-in steps with you, but for permanent placement on private land they're ideal.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
I smell a co-pay.  Sometimes, no matter how great it looks, it is better to buy better and spend more.  Especially when it is your life on a limb.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
Well, I dress out at nearly 3 bills & I hunted out of the same $30 stand last year. I'm still here.....
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline BMejia

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »
I have been buying the 15.5 ft ladder stands from Dicks. During the off season they are $49. I use a cable lock to secure them. I have some that have been up for 5+ yrs and are still solid. You may need to snug up the bolts on occasion...

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
Tree stands like fall protection are nothing to cheap out on. It only takes that one time, game over. I will only buy a stand that is made by a company that is part of the TMA. Ameristep makes a nice stand for the money and is certified TMA.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
I know quite a few who solely hang the 30ish dollar model from Dicks and there is nothing wrong with them.  I own 3 of them.  Just like anything else, no matter how much you pay for it, you still have to put in the time inspecting it and maintaining it.  

I generally hunt outta my lonewolf climber unless I have trouble finding a climbable tree in a sweet spot.

ps...I also use the similar priced climbing rails from Dicks.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
Two years ago I bought one of the Big Dog stands and a set of Ameristep climbing ladder section sets.  It is heavy compared to my Lone WOlf climber and that's most of the reason it is still sitting in my basement waiting for a buyer.  I too use the climber but bought this set to hang up and leave for the season.  Ironically when I took it out to do so I found that my brother had set up his ladder stand 30 yards away.  It is nice to hunt out of a hanging stand as you can get down and do a little ground snooping and come back to the stand already in place.
Anyone in the central PA area looking for one, let me know...
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
I run a double piece of 3/8 inch rope along the cables to support the platform incase the cables give. I add a strap to the bottom of lock on stands I also add a rachet strap or rope arround top of stand where chain goes..

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
Kinda like a motorcycle helmet you get what you pay for.  If it were me I would spend a bit more to be sure I had a structurally sound stand.  100 of them are great and you buy the 101st one that is defective and down you go!  Make sure to wear your safety harness at all times.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
You can fall out of $30. stand as fast as you can from a $300. one the price doesn't matter when your careless!
 I check mine every time I get in them and never had a problem,Most falls are from human error not the material the stand is made from. And you would be a fool to enter any stand (including a ladder) without a safety harness.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
I don't skimp when it comes to my safety. I can wear a rope around my belly(instead of a harness) and be safe from falling 9 of 10 times. It's the 10th one that really hurts! With that said, any maker can make a bad one. I'm not so certain I would trust my life in a $29.00 tree stand. But, who am I.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
I just got one and it is a heck of a stand for the price.  I just wish they had some steps for a simular price.  I also got there ladder stand for about $40 15 foot and it is outstanding.  I'm thinking of getting 2 more ladder stands for some private property.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
Oh yeah I use a HSS harness so if the cheepie fails My system sould save me.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
How CHEAP do you want to go when your life is on the line!!???

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
It is not about falling out, it is about the stand FAILING. Ask my friend how likely he is to hunt from another inexpensive treestand...he will tell you what it is like when you are falling in the dark from 18 ft up when the stand fails...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©