3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizz Encounters  (Read 209 times)

Offline Sheepshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Grizz Encounters
« on: June 22, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
A few years ago the grizzly hunt was shut down here in Alberta. More recently, in the last few weeks, they have been put on the endangered species list in Alberta. I call bull****. After spending 30 some years in the bush I have seen all my grizzlies in the last 6 years and four of those have been in the last 3 years.

3 weeks ago a friend and I went on a weekend backpacking/scouting/stumpshooting trip. At the trailhead a fellow who had been out riding horses warned us of a sow with cubs he had seen on the trail the evening before. We didn't end up seeing her although we saw sign that she left. We did, however, see another grizz several miles up the trail. I tried to get pics at 50 yds but was unable to get any good ones. Shortly after the grizz encounter we bumped into a black with cubs and the cubs scooted up a tree 30 yds in front of us. I'm just glad we saw them in time. The next day, on the way out, we were moving quietly as we were seeing and photograghing a few elk when a huge grizzly head suddenly appeared out of the trees on the side of the trail a mere 13 yds ahead of us. That startled me! Thankfully it also scared the bear and he ran the other way. Unfortunately he ran the way we needed to go. We eventually saw his tracks on the trail and he stayed on it for about a 1/2 mile. We made sure we made lots of noise and kept our pepper spray close! I love spring in the Rockies! Always see lots of game and it's always an adventure.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizz Encounters
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
Anyone who says that Grizzlies are endangered is a liar and a fool who clearly doesn't listen to the Fish and Wildlife surveys.  Their population is growing all around the US due to heavy protection and very limited hunting.  Sounds to me like you have a bunch of animal rights folks running your wildlife deparment.  We are even starting to see an uptick in population in far northern Washington State in the Upper Okanogan areas.  Particularly the Pasayten Wilderness.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Sheepshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »
If grizzlies are not endangered then it would be really difficult for anyone to make money "protecting" them. Bunch of propaganda is what it is.
We have a group of people here in Alberta trying to prove the numbers the government is giving wrong. They are recording sightings from hikers,hunters, fishermen and other outdoors people who don't believe the BS. I don't know how successful they'll be at changing anything but at least they are trying to make as much noise as the antis.
I gave them my sightings along with GPS coordinates. Hopefuly it'll help.

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 04:17:00 PM »
I am sure glad that there arent any around here.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©