3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TTT for Swampbuck..... Head Shot!!!!! (NOT!!!!!)  (Read 963 times)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
TTT for Swampbuck..... Head Shot!!!!! (NOT!!!!!)
« on: May 07, 2007, 01:38:00 PM »
Well, This morning I put my little guy Tyler on the bus,grabbed my Mikuta longbow and my turkey vest,and went down to the Fishkill Cemetary for a late morning turkey hunt.

I parked my truck,grabbed my gear,and headed into the woods.I snuck into the place I call "The Stone Circle Blind" and set my hen decoy (I usualy don't use decoys) in the old logging road below my "blind" about 15 yards away.I got myself set-up on my 5 gallon bucket,popped my diaphram call in my mouth,dug out my peg and slate,nocked one of my "Joe Skipp Specials" tipped with a green Bear Razorhead on the string of my Mikuta,and pulled down my head-net.

After about 10 minutes I scratched out a series of 7 yelps on the slate and was immediatly answered with a double-gobble from up the logging road.I gave him 4 more yelps and he double-gobbled again!!!!! I dropped the slate at my feet and got my bow ready.I figured if I needed to call again I could use my mouth call,but I didn't want to get "busted" trying to get my bow ready.

I looked up the logging road and I can see Mr. Jake strutting through the woods.When he hit the logging road he looks down,sees the hen decoy,drops his feathers and comes RUNNING down the road!!!!! When he gets to the hen decoy,he stops and puffs up into a half-strutt.....The "button" says GO.....I draw my bow,my index finger hits the corner of my mouth,I let the string slip.....AND THE ARROW FLYS RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIS BEAK!!!!!      :eek:     You should have seen him run LOL I think he set a new "land speed record" for a running turkey!!!!!

Now,I don't know why.....But I was looking at his head       :rolleyes:      So I shot at his head       :knothead:      Maybe it was all those years of shotgun hunting       ;)    

Well,It was a GREAT DAY!!!!! Maybe next time.....       :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: TTT for Swampbuck..... Head Shot!!!!! (NOT!!!!!)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 01:40:00 PM »
Better a clean miss than a bad hit. You got the pulse up, called in a bird and had a shot opportunity. All in all a real good morning.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »
oh man!  just about!  

you're a good story teller.  glad to hear a story from another guy who balances hunting, work and family!
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 01:52:00 PM »
Thank You Tim!!!!!

Sometimes it's tough.....But I'm a Dad,That's my job   :bigsmyl:

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 02:24:00 PM »
Exactly what thp said!!!!!  thanks for sharing, hope ya connect next time....

jake (no pun intended)
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Jake H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »
As someone else said to me this weekend:

"That's as close as you can get without putting meat in the freezer!"

Which means that you've got everything else together-- your scouting, your blind, your calling, your rythmn (knowing when to set down the calls and pick up the bow), etc.  All that is for the GOOD!

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get another oportunity soon!

Jake
(who needs a new nickname this time of year)

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 03:17:00 PM »
He'll be back there again Chuck. Pick a feather this time!!!
Great stuff ain't it?

Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 03:18:00 PM »
A succesful morning, I say. Great job.
      Sean

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
So you had a good time but didn't get goo on your hands...Great Read Buddy!...Thanks!

... mike ...

PS...Tell me a Zombie story next!...  :D  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »
Hay, Woodchucker, great story. I had a similar situation a couple of years ago with different results. After being busted by an alert hen I had a large gobbler extend his neck to view the landscape before departing. As he looked around I watched his head and decided that I would draw and shoot as soon as he turned his head away from me. Sure enough when he twisted his neck to look away I drew my Bob Lee recurve and released my Bear Razor tipped shaft. The arrow flew true directly toward his head and neck and promptly stuck in the ground some 18 yards away. The bird immediately flew and landed about 25 yards away with three of his buddies. As I watched the show, the birds circled, putting all the time, preparing to disappear into the Texas hillside. Low and behold as I watched, my bird hit the dirt. He tried to get up but could not. His buddies proceded to kick and peck at their fallen conrad until I climbed down from my treestand and headed their way. Upon inspection I found that I had bearly cut the throat of this unsuspecting gobbler. Actually I had cut the windpipe. There was hardly a scratch and very little blood. Back at camp I had great fun telling my hunting buddies how I had scared this poor bird to death. Like you, I was guilty of shooting where I was looking. By luck, I got my bird and you didn't but we both came away with great memories.  :thumbsup:

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 05:42:00 PM »
sounds to me like another great life experience to add to the log book. you had a great day indeed. Next time you'll get em.
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »
Hope you found the arrow Chuck...  :help:  

Now that I stopped making them you better tie a string to the nocks!  :thumbsup:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 06:29:00 PM »
Great read Woodchucker. It doesn't get much more exciting than that. Just getting them into shooting range and remaining undetcted is quite an accomplishment. Getting the shot off without being busted is even harder to do. Especially without a blind! Next time I'll bet the outcome is different.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »
Don't feel to bad I missed my share this year, but it was FUN!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 08:38:00 PM »
Hey Chuck, sounds like a pretty good morning, how was the heart rate???  I'm with Joe, plus I know how you are with arrows.......but I know you found this one, sharpen that head back up and go back and get him!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
Cool story Chuck, I hope you get him next time.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
Nice write up Chuck. I used to hunt down that way in Carmel, off of 301. Made it easy to picture it all.
Im hope ya pick a tiny feather next time. Good luck!
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 06:31:00 AM »
Thanks for all the great comments!!!!! Yes Joe,I DID find my arrow LOL   ;)  I STILL don't know how I managed to shoot at his noggin   :confused:

Well David.....Lets just say that my heart was poundin' about as fast as he was runnin'!!!!!   :bigsmyl:

I'm planning on heading back down there again saturday morning after work,(If I don't get a chance before   :pray: )

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2007, 08:33:00 AM »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH! YEAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
  :thumbsup:  

Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Offline flinch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »
I think you have got it right.  A head shot will mean no trailing and a dropped bird on the spot.  I prefer to hit them where the neck joins the body.  My friend likes to shoot them at the top of the drumsticks. He's killed a lot of them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©