3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lets talk Elk  (Read 380 times)

Offline DTS

• Trad Bowhunter
Lets talk Elk
« on: May 07, 2007, 01:44:00 PM »
Anyone hunted Colorado area #62 Uncompahgre National Forest. First  time for me.  Whats the terrain, elevation,Aug/Sept archery weather, best way to hunt. Anything else I need to know?  As others have said, I've got the fever bad.  Only one out of 10 using tradgear.  Lots of info. please.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lets talk Elk
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 02:29:00 PM »
I have hunted 62 before, lots of hunters, but still a few places no one goes, but you must get away from the roads.  The elk are not hardly vocal at all during the rut on that side of Divide RD.  I would suggest early season on water holes for area 62.  I would say the SE portion is your best bet...

pm me if you have any more questions, I will help the best I can.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »
I have hunted areas 62.  You can find some very large bulls. It is also fairly easy access for elk country from what I am told. The over the counter area will have a lot of people near the roads so get in as far as possible.  Get behind the  private ranches that are along Divide road.  The bulls probably will not respond to calls (unless they run away), find watering areas, wallows, main travel routes, etc. and set up stands or still hunt through.  Both methods work.  The good thing is even someone from far away and there for just a week will see elk  if they cover the ground.  

I have hunted in the early and late parts of the season.  I enjoyed being there later as it was cooler (more like hunting season for someone from Michigan) and seamed to have less people.  Early season was hot and dry when I was there.

The first time I went (1985) there where some awsome mule deer that I could not find last time (2003).  Hopefully they will come back.

Good luck,
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline DTS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 05:57:00 PM »
Thanks Blaine.  I spoke with a CO. resident who said wildlife dept. had closed mountain lion season for a few years in the area of #61,62 and one other one to do a ten year study.  He said they have gained in population and blames the mule deer pop. decrease on the lions.  I know where I grew up the lions did not kill many deer but who knows.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 06:07:00 PM »
The best way to hunt 62 is to go somewhere else. It has virtues, but it's one of the most famous areas in the state and really gets whammed. Lots of roads, and half the Plateau is wholly destroyed by the ATV invasion (the other half doesn't allow them at all, which makes it a no-brainer to choose). Sure, you can find elk and get away from the crowds in 62, but why bother when almost any other unit on the W. Slope is superior? One thing 62 has going for it is relatively lower altitude and easier terrain. I'd go south to 74 or 75. Whatever, good luck. dave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©