3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Feathers very thin  (Read 503 times)

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: New Feathers very thin
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
As I noted in my earlier post, the feather suppliers/processors are dependent on the turkey producers.  There's not much they can do about the reduced quality.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
Guess trueflight will have to start raising turkeys..lol
I know what you're saying Orion.
Trickle down theory at work.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline john fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
I have had discussions will all the maufacturers:

Tru Flight
AMG
Gateway

Here is what I understand from gathering all that:

Yes the commercial growers are growing birds faster.  Many are butchered youbger so overall smaller.  Some are allowed to grow larger, but probably an issue of feed, hormaones and crowded conditions attribute to the thinner and more fragile feathers.

A big part of this is that a WHOLE LOT of Amercian Turkey feathers are going to China!  They buy every feather on the bird and use them for many purposes.  Arrow fletchings are just a part of it.  Of the arrow fletchings, many are going to foreign companies and I beleive that some go to USA companies like AMG and Gateway.

This was not cinfirmed by those companied themselevs but from other sources.  Maybe someone from each company would jump in here since I believe they all look in here.

I have tried all the brands,  The Tru Flight still has the best grind and the brightest colors.  They are also the only company that claims their feathers are 100% US, cleans and pest free.

They have now gone to "Commercial Grade" on the feathers.  Since I only use full length and burn them - I have been very dissapointed over the last few years about the rise in price and the drop in quality.  Same thing is true about other products as well.

I have been making arrows for over 45 years and have sure seen the gammit of dealers, products and changes over the years.

This is one place I sure do miss 'the good old days'!

Call me old fogey, but all the metal I need on my bow or arrow is the point, and I can live with stone.  Other man mades are fine if you like them, but I still prefer 'all wood' on my bows.
Instructor BSA NCS certified

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
I put a thread out about raising wild (or darker heritage breeds) turkeys, but was discouraged from the replys from guys that tried it. Apparently the wild ones can fly away, so you have to clip their wings. Soooo..No wing feathers! Maybe a major coop with a net or wire mesh roof to keep them home. This thread may get me thinking again.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
Don't have to clip both wings, just one. That's what was done in the past.  And, since most "clippers" were right handed, it was easier for them to grab the bird  and clip the right wing.  That's one of the reasons that there were generally more left wing than right wing feathers available in the past. Nowadays, birds are raised in pretty tight confinement, seldom with room to fly if they could.

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »
Same here could not get 2 4" from FL.New ones 8.5 old 11.5
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
Thanks, you just solved the mystery of my feathers wearing out faster than they used to.

Which are the better ones to buy now and from where?
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »
Yes, what's the consensus? I need to buy quite a few. Thanks!

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 03:58:00 AM »
say it ain't so.just ordered a bunch of full length feathers from tru-flight.might show up today.i'll let you know the quality.

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
got my tru-flights from three rivers.very thin and ragged.chopped them with my little chopper.fletched a dozen.6 sheild 6 bannana.one bannana missed the target and went under the grass in the yard.it was desroyed with one missed shot.they should hold up better than that,but than again i should not miss and shoot them in the grass.hope you have better luck than i did.steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©