3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What would be the best idea?  (Read 305 times)

Offline MEF

• Trad Bowhunter
What would be the best idea?
« on: June 24, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
Hello,
   I am in the market for another bow. I am looking at the Samick Sage recurve. I am planning to use this bow for bowfishing and some small game hunting. My question is, would I be better served getting an older used bow for the same price that may be of a little better quality but older or just get the Sage? Which would be best suited for my purposes? Thanks.
I never miss where I am aiming, it is just that sometimes I aim at the wrong spot.

Offline inthere10x

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What would be the best idea?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
I would check the classifieds you could find "more" bow for the same price or better. Either bow would suite your purpose of bowfishing.

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
I have had the sage for a little over a month now and I think you would be surprised at the quality and performance you get for the money.  They are a bit noisy but I fixed that by putting rubber pads cut from bicycle innertube in the limb pockets as well as upgrading to a flemish fast flight string with cat whiskers on the string.  But I think for bowfishing, I would get a $50 swap meet special that you could abuse a little and not feel guilty.  As far as the sage goes, I got the 55#er and it will be with me in the woods this september when archery season starts.  I have no buyers remorse with the sage.  Good luck!
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 10:39:00 PM »
I have never held a sage. I've heard good things about them.
I am new at this trad stuff and have come to the conclusion that the experienced people have it right when they say " It ALL depends on you. Shoot what feels right. Good luck finding the ONE."

You can definatley find a GREAT bow at a GREAT price used. But that Great bow that costs $1500 new that you bought used for $500 might not get YOU as good of results as a bow that costs $500 new that you bought used for $100.
Could be visa versa too.

I'm really coming around to thinking this whole trad stuff is much more personal than wheel bow shooting. I could pick up any wheel bow and shoot it pretty good.
I think you need the find the RIGHT trad bow to really shoot it GREAT.

I need to start shooting as many bows as I can.
Buy and sell a few used ones till I can find the ONE.

Sorry I didn't give you a black and white answer.
But I think it started out as a grey question if you know what I mean.
GOOD LUCK!!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline MEF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
Ok thanks I am just wanting to get the best bow I can possibly get for around $120. Thanks
I never miss where I am aiming, it is just that sometimes I aim at the wrong spot.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 07:42:00 AM »
Zradix nailed it!!!

The best bow you can get for $120 is the one that suits "YOU" best and shoots best for "YOU"!!!

While there many only be one that fits that bill, how will you know until you've tried them all?

Find one that will work in the meantime, start shooting it and keep an open mind and eye out for the next one that might be better...lol

I'm cereal about that too!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline MEF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 08:04:00 AM »
Ok lol thanks for the advice, but how do I tell which bow is the one? Without buying it first and shooting it.

Offline Randy Koleno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »
Shooting one before buying would be ideal, although my favorite bow right now was bought sight unseen over the classifieds. If you can, ETAR (Denton Hill) in Pa. is coming in about a month. There are many bows, new and used there that you can shoot.

Offline MEF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 10:13:00 AM »
Thanks but I am in kind of a hurry because my previous bowfishing bow broke and I am in need of a replacement.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »
The good thing about bows in the $100-$200 range, used, is that they pretty much hold that value indefinately. You could pick up & sell a heck of a lot of bows in that price range & never lose a penny.
Onr thing to look into, possibly, is the older Bear bows. The mid-'70s era Grizzlys, Kodiaks, Super Kodiaks & Kodiak Hunters are all within your budget & are definately better quality bows than the Samick. The Big Auction Site has literally hundreds of Bear bows go through every month. That'd be my personal starting place.

Your number one choice wuld be to get to a few local shoots & try a few bows out. You'd be amazed  how many folks'll let you take their bows out to shoot. One real advantage of being new to this, is that you have no pre-conceived ideas about grip shape, bow length, string material etc... & you'll struggle to find many, if any, real difference in the way a lot of bows will shoot. No disrespect intended, but only through experience can you really decide what feels 'right' to you. To start with, 99% of bows will feel the same, whether they cost $100 or $1000
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
The only bad things I have heard about the Samick Sage is... It's Made in KOREA.. You know the Country that WON the Olympics in Archery.

For that price if the Bow doesn't work for You You can give it to someone just starting out or even sell it. You can keep it for a back up and even get different limbs at different weights too.

Offline MEF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up buying a Bear Kodiak Mag 55# on the classifieds for a good price and am awaiting delivery.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©