3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowyer needed for living history hunters!  (Read 329 times)

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowyer needed for living history hunters!
« on: June 25, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
Hi Guys,

A lot of people make and sell ELB's that are board bows or laminate bows, and most are in a Victorian style.  But I need to find a bowyer who will make reasonably priced, English style selfbows (from staves and tillered round compass) for new hunters in my medieval hunting group: St. Hubert's Rangers.  Creating an authentic reenactment kit is expensive enough, so yew is out of the question.  But ash, osage, or other bow woods would do.  I need to find a 'go to' guy for these kinds of bows, even if it's just a word-of-mouth hobby bowyer.  The key is that I'm looking for functional bows that fit the part but are a good value (fairly cheap  ;)  ).  Nothing fancy, no horn nocks necessary.  If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks,

Paul
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Offline Ron+dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowyer needed for living history hunters!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 12:24:00 AM »
good luck sounds like a cool project maybe you guys should look into kits and build your own i have been researching kits lately and there are many out there for varying skill levels just a thought have fun kill stuff
>>>--------> <--------<<<
" the happiness that is found sleeping under tents is unbelievable. one night in tents is worth three in town" -bruce chatwin in far journeys

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 06:46:00 AM »
check out rudderbows archery @ rudderbowsarchery.com, They are great people and have english longbows and kits at various levels of completion, all at very reasonable prices

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
I've actually owned a couple 'Rudder Bows' bows, and they are great people, but they're all board bows.  Even their yew bows are board bows backed with hickory or bamboo.  For authenticity, I need bows made from staves, which are usually irregular in shape, might have knots, etc., and they need to bend through the handle.  Here's an example of one that fits the bill:

ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©