3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need Opinions on Limb Tips (Pics)  (Read 701 times)

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need Opinions on Limb Tips (Pics)
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by drewsbow:
I would say you asked for sheep horn and got it so don't complain , and if he made two bows to get you what you want ? Come on now thats sheep is what you asked for.
Ditto. Horn does vary but I think that is what is the coolest about using it.

A similar situation happened to me. I requested horn on a bow and the bowyer said he had ordered a hunk of beautiful caramel covered horn that would look great on the bow. When he began the shaping process it turned black - which matched my limbs perfectly but wasn't the beautiful caramel that we expected. I wonder if something similar happened to yours.

He offered to take it back but it wasn't his fault in my opinion.

FYI, I like the white, but I also know how one little thing on a bow can bother you. If its not what you want I would send it back but you should cover the shipping IMO as he will most likely be donating his time.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2010, 06:09:00 PM »
Sheephorn runs from black to white and everything in between.  If you ordered sheephorn and that's what you got. . .well.

If you want it changed, pay the bowyer to change it.  

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
Thanks guys ,

I don't want to send the bow back because I really like the wood ,I will get over it .

But let me clarify one thing which probably wasn't too clear in the beginning ,I had three bows made by two different bowyers the one that made two bows to get the one right ,Is a very particular ,And fussy Bowyer .Very talented and I've been very satisfied with the two bows that he's made .  Those two bows will never leave my rack .

As for the sheep horn ,I got over it today .After reading all of your postings ,The woods that he used in the bow, Are really great looking And I would imagine through time The whiteness of the horns will tone down some .I also gave him an example of the wood that I wanted in the bow,And he did exactly what I wanted ,I think the big thing was I was surprised that the tips were white.I wasn't told so what did surprise me .  

And that was my first response to him "that the deer don't care what tips look like" .

And I appreciate the frankness of everyone on this site . I don't know if anybody noticed or not but all of you talk to me like it was eye to eye, And that's what's great about this site

Thanks again

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
Well, lets see the rest of the bow  :)   The tips look great, I agree with the above posts that your tips look even better than the first pic.  Hope that you are truly satisfied with it.  Looks great to me...Mike

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
The limbs are made a zebra wood .
Here's some photos    

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »

The flash on the camera makes it look more red that it is.

The stats are

62" 43# @ 29" But it feels more like 45#

I haven't scaled it yet .

I just recently had a bow made That is

62" 36# @ 29"

I really like that one for my practicing on my form . Now I have a problem. I'm starting to accumulate bows that I can't see letting go of I've added 3 to my rack in The last two months .

I got to slowdown. I can only shoot one at a time right !

Carl

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2010, 11:18:00 PM »
Holy cow , now that I see the rest of the bow those tips just won't do. Please put that up for sale right away and let me know when you do , specs are right up my alley . Very nice bow. :0)
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
Beautiful. I like the specs, too. I'm looking to get into the mid 40's poundage wise as well. I thought I was a short bow fanatic, but maybe 62-64" is good.(I can hear it now, 62-64" IS short!) The decisions only get harder as one sees the beauty/quality from so many good boyers.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
Very nice.  That cocobolo is fantastic.  That sure is a good lookin bow you got there...Mike

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
I actually saw the pictures before I saw the complaint and liked the second photo/tips much better! I love the "imperfections" of natural materials. The Navajo Indians deliberately leave imperfections in their stitching to "honor the creative spirit" (or something like that).

I can empathize with your feelings when a bow didn't come in as you expected however: I ordered a bow once that came with the wrong tips, left my name off it, had either the wrong wood or a poor choice of riser woods (a light shade probably of the dark Indonesian rosewood I wanted), and didn't have a stripe I thought it was supposed to come with. I sent it back ($$) but it got stuck in Customs and it came back. The bowyer, who'd already been VERY generous, took even more money off! It had sat on my shelf for a year all told but once I felt "stuck" with it and began shooting it a lot it has become my "go-to" bow and I took a very nice bear with it last summer! I had thought of getting that "perfect woods" bow like my recurve one day, but I have found that it's how the bow shoots and the memories it makes that make the bow special.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
Thanks Steven ,

Sometimes We all tend to focus on what we
"Don't have " And it destroys what we do have  right in our hand . I've already sent an e-mail to the bowyer ,Telling him I don't want to change a thing on the woods or make a different bow .

And you're right ,when I draw this bow back smooth comes to mind every time .I'll probably nickname it

"Killer with white eyes "

You know the old saying

"If you can see the whites of their eyes it's too late "

So I'll just see if it can take down a deer or two.

Thanks mike ,The photos really don't do it justice .

And both of the bowyers tried to get me to go to 64 " But they both also agreed that 62 " would work very well also.

And actually I measured it yesterday strung And it comes out to 60 3/4 , It will be perfect for shooting in the double bull ,And the zebra wood limbs have always been concealable in the forest.

Sometimes it's hard to get that 10 year old kid back into you , were you accepted anything that was in your hand and would use What was available and be happy that you had it.

But I think I was like that yesterday ,Because I took a walk on the old forest were the Birch  trees were anywhere from 10 inches to 12 inches thick ,granted not all of them that way,And some of the oak trees were as thick as two my body standing face to face .It had never been selective cut .Its 40 acres ,and after Wednesday of this coming week,It will be my private hunting grounds .

The beauty and splendor of the woods have a way of making you forget,

About the little things.

Carl

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©