3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 4 or 6 fletch flu flus  (Read 493 times)

Offline Ron+dog

• Trad Bowhunter
4 or 6 fletch flu flus
« on: June 25, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
i have been looking into jigs i want to be able to fletch 3 fletch hunting arrows and flu flus i have store bought that came with 6 fletchs but dont know if i need that many i have seen some with 4 and the ones i bought have lost fletching and i dont notice a difference what does the gang think ? the cost of the jig and added fletching is a factor for me so i want to make an educated disision thanks -ron
>>>--------> <--------<<<
" the happiness that is found sleeping under tents is unbelievable. one night in tents is worth three in town" -bruce chatwin in far journeys

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 4 or 6 fletch flu flus
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
They'll both work. 4 fletch flu-flu will go a little further than 6.
Most fletching jigs can do 3 and 4 fletch. If you want to do 6 fletch just fletch for 3 and then turn the arrow 180 degrees in the jig and fletch again. The feathers will get a little tangled up with the clamp but it's doable.
Ta-da! 6 fletch.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »
Not sure what your searching for.

The Jo-Jan I have can do 3-fletch or 4-fletch.  If you wanted to do 6-fletch you could do the first 3 like a normal 3-fletch flip the nock 180 degrees and do it again to make a 6-fletch.

I'm sure the Biztenburger can do the same thing.

If just making your own flu-flus is the main concern you may try the spiral-wrap method.  I've never done them, but they look awesome and only use 1 or 2 full-lengths (Instead of 4 or 6).
Micah 6:8

Offline Ron+dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
i had no idea i could do 180 degree turn and start over thanks guys big help
" the happiness that is found sleeping under tents is unbelievable. one night in tents is worth three in town" -bruce chatwin in far journeys

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 11:51:00 PM »
i have 6 fletch the 3-4 didnt shut it down fast enough for me i dont like walking out 90 yrds to get em when shooting arials.  :help:    :nono:
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline Jeff Cooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 12:45:00 AM »
Ron,I have found an easier way to do 6 fletch is to start as you normally would and fletch your 1st feather, then remove the arrow from the jig. With the arrow removed, rotate the nock indexer of the jig two spaces, and place the arrow back into the jig for the next feather. This way you are not fighting the jig with the feathers (as you will if you fletch all 3 first, and then rotate the arrow 180*). Continue the fletch 1-remove-rotate 2-fletch 1 remove-rotate 2 the whole way around...Again, I have found that to be quite a bit easier.

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
Jeff Copper beat me to it and saved me some typing, LOL! His method works great, especially with a Bitzenburger....you're not fighting that 5th fletching when doing the 6th.

Get a good fletching jig and some fletches, you'll be money ahead in the long run and you can then do your own re-fletching too.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
Just got a BearPaw jig and I am very happy with it.  It does 3-4-or 6 fletch with just a push of a slide no tools needed.  Its also very well priced.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
When I do 6 fletch... I do 3, when done put cock feather and index together. Pull arrow out and turn 180 Deg. slide back on index and fletch 3 again..

This works Great with straight jig little off set.

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
Just a little FYI.  I have compared the flight distance of 4 and 6 fletch flu-flus and the difference is so minimal (56# Slammer) as to not warrant the extra time and materials needed for 6 fletch.  Average difference was only about 10 yards when shooting at ariel targets.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
hey mitch how far did ur fluflu's go ? on average.

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
it also may have to do with how heavy your arrows are. and not all bows are made the same. some cast further than others. in that case you might need the extra resistance. i use 2315s with 125 in front. and my bow is pretty snappy.

my three and four fletch were put about 80-90yrds. the six dropped at like 45-50 .

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
My experience is that a spiral wrapped flu-flu stops arrows the fastest.  I don't see lots of differences with 4 or six fletch when doing them that way.

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by StanM:
My experience is that a spiral wrapped flu-flu stops arrows the fastest.  I don't see lots of differences with 4 or six fletch when doing them that way.
I've had the same experience as Stan.  The spiral really puts the brakes on my arrows!
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
Spiral wrapped is the way to go. One full length feather is all you need.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Ron+dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
so is there a special clamp or jig needed for spiral fletching ?
thanks agian guys i really appreciate all the info  :bigsmyl:

Offline huey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
How to forum Guru has a thread.

Offline crookedwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
fletching tape works well for spiral wrap method.then just wrap around evenly with about 3/8 inch spacing,has wored for me.or reuse some old srrows and put flu flu feathers in between your other normal feathers.you can use regular jig set at 120 degrees.just have line up inbetween other feathers

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2010, 02:44:00 PM »
From experience and trial.  If you want to make a spiral flu flu do two things.  And the results are awesome.  First, put the fletch tape on the shaft like you want it and put the feather to the tape.  Second, if you take your feather and wet the quill, spiral it around another shaft holding it in place with cloths pins on each end, and let dry.  I will lay right down on the shafts perfect.  Just remember to spiral the tape on the shaft for a left or right wing......not saying how I found that out.  :knothead:
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©