3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nock and grain alignment on wood arrows.  (Read 488 times)

Offline SpikeMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
Nock and grain alignment on wood arrows.
« on: June 26, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
I bought some cedar arrows and when I received them I noticed that the nocks weren't properly aligned with the grain. I emailed the arrow builder about this and he said it doesn't matter. Everything I've read about building wood arrows say you should align the nocks so that the stiffest (tightest) grain is against the sight window. Just wondering what other people think who is right   :knothead: . I'm just going to buy some bare shafts and build the arrows myself. I was just trying to save some time and money. It seemed like a good deal. What's that old saying - you get what you pay for?

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nock and grain alignment on wood arrows.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »
I have aways aligned mine with the stiffest or tightest grain  toward the sight window.What kind of arrow shaft material are these,there are some arrow shafts where it doesn't matter like hex shafts.

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »
"....he said it doesn't matter."

I'd sure like to hear  why  he says it doesn't matter.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
He probably figured that once fletched you may never have noticed-send them back. IMO

Offline SpikeMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
They are P.O. Cedar. I guess most people probably wouldn't have noticed.  He said that he has sold arrows to target archers and there scores have gone up using his arrows and the nocks weren't aligned on those arrows either.   :laughing:   They are going back. Thanks for the responses.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
If you build your arrows with the stiffest side against the strike plate then your nocks will not necessarily be aligned the way you think they should.  Against the grain is not always the stiffest.  I always align the way y'all are talking about just because that's the way I do it.  Does it matter? Probably not.  You'll get some safety reasoning I'm sure.  Good luck...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
The grain of the wood should ALWAYS be properly aligned with the nock. Period.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
"As we mentioned in the previous section, it is best to establish nock location in accordance with the grain of the wood to take advantage of full spine weight.  But if after shooting the finished arrows you find an arrow flight problem, the solution may be nock rotation.  This may vary the spine weight slightly, but it is much easier than re-fletching your arrow shaft."

This is a quote off of an arrow shaft manufacturer's site. I find it interesting to see that they and others say that you may find that by rotating the shaft so that you find the stiffest alignment for the nock. I have always found that by placing the grain horizontally it is the stiffest. As the arrow comes around the riser it is bending against the grain. No need to rotate the shaft. Think about it...boards will bend with the grain easier than against the grain. That is one reason we build things with boards the way we do...right? But another important reason to align the nock properly is so the string is perpendicular to the grain. The force of the string is pushing against the grain not with the grain, which should help in stopping the shaft from fracturing along the weakest point...with the grain.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
It sounds logical.  However, I've spined tested 100's of cedar shafts and find that it's about 50/50 as to which side (with the grain or against) actually tests stiffer.  With good quality shafts there's not normally more that a pound of difference though...Van
I love this country ;-)

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 01:10:00 PM »
I always glue my nocks on so the string will be perpendicular to the growth ring lines or grain. Never spined a shaft in my life so cant comment on that but Ive heard from those that have that there can be a stiff side. Ive been buying weight and spine matched shafts.

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
My reasoning has always been the same as what Snag had to say. Does it make a lot of difference? Probably not. The ones I have spined made a couple of pounds of difference. But I think nock alignment is more important. Gary

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
How do they shoot?

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
I had a rather prominent arrow maker tell me that it didn't matter, but it matters to me.  I spine and align the nocks on all the arrows I make so the grain goes against the side plate and any pointers go away from the shooter on the top of the arrow.  In the end, it may not matter, but the consistency sure isn't going to hurt, either.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
I wonder how he figured out the spine of the shafts?

Offline JPE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
The tightest grain needs to go against the window for safty reasons, that is when shot the arrow flexes and you need the strength at that point so it does not damage the arrow after repeated shots.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
I'm with Fletcher on this one. Grain at right angle to the string and grain run off oriented so that breaks will be UP! You don't want the broken half of an arrow in your bow arm. Good arrows are more important than good bows for consistency and accuracy. You have 3 choices, shoot man-made like aluminum or carbon, take your time making good arrows or buy from a reputable fletcher.

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »

I spine on both sides of the grain and align the stiffest side to the riser...on most of the shafts I use, however, there is little to no difference in spine on either side.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2010, 06:29:00 PM »
Yep
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
snag, mind sharing what shaft manufacturer that quote was from about against the grain is always stiffer?  Thanks...Van
I love this country ;-)

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
Shaun, I agree and make my own arrows so the points are up for me shooting left handed. That means they will be DOWN for a right handed dude.  So arrows are either right or left handed yet few arrow makers seem to think of that   :readit:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©