3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: primitive arrows  (Read 2977 times)

Offline Longbows4life

• Trad Bowhunter
primitive arrows
« on: July 31, 2006, 10:54:00 AM »
i am thinking aboutdoing a thing were i get all the wood arrows feathers etcetc like was on the biuld along post and make everything myself but i live in so cal and dont know what i could use for arrows i have black locust can find stuff to make a quiver i got geese and a turkey. alsochickens for feathers but i dont know what i can use for arrows

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: primitive arrows
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 02:22:00 PM »
I don't know what in indeginous to your area but I've made primitive arrows from sourwood(Oxydendron arborea), silky dogwood, gray dogwood, redosier dogwood(Cornus sp.), wild cherry, viburnus(many species), ocean spray and Bambusa, river cane and other bamboos. Virtulally any shrubs and trees that sucker will make arrows.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KyGal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 06:29:00 PM »
Don't you have some cane like grasses in California?

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 01:23:00 AM »
Erik, you can find mulefat dang near everywhere in So. California, it works ok but may not be the best.  A friend of mine lives in Torrance and is much more knowledgable on this subject.  I'll send him an email to see if he can drop in and offer suggestions.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Sal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 05:56:00 AM »
There are several choices in southern California, golden currant, mulefat, rose, arrow weed, toyon and others.  Any plant, even ornamentals in gardens, that have long even stems, shoots or saplings will probably work.  I've gotten excellent results from privet, an exported plant that's used for hedges.  

As far as grasses, we have plenty of carrizo also known as arundo, it makes a good lightweight shaft.

Visit Paleoplanet for more info on this and for info on our monthly get togethers, they're in L.A. but there is a kid from Oceanside that comes now and then

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 07:15:00 AM »
I say go for it! Keep us posted on your progress. Where there is a will,,, there is a way!

I hope it was my Home Grown Hunting Equipment build alaong that has inspired you!

If so,,, I feel good.......   :thumbsup:
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Longbows4life

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 10:04:00 PM »
yea osage tree it was your biuld along that insipred me

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©