3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Follow that arrow...  (Read 883 times)

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
Follow that arrow...
« on: January 08, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »
OK... here is an invitation for the blind to follow the blind.  I have been carefullly edging up to making my own wood arrows for a year now, and have finally gotten to the point of starting.   I'm documenting the whole effort, step by step, what goes well and what goes wrong, and posting it to a new page on the Howard Hill Shooters web site.  If anyone has been thinking about making wood arrows but not started it, here's your chance to follow along with a beginner and learn as I do.

web link is:

http://www.docwightman.com/archery_Howard_Hill/arrowmaking/arrowmaking.html

I'll probably spend a week or so doing this in stages,

Dick in Seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Follow that arrow...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »
Keep going I'm watching.  You mentioned your shafts were cut too long..28.5"  Remember, when you measure the shaft, it is to the back of the point, so you take away as much as 3/4 to 1" in the tapering process.
ChuckC

Offline Tim Schoenborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 09:02:00 PM »
Nice.......

I am going to watch also as sooner or later I am going to do this.

I really like the looks of your workshop set up also.

Tim ;-)

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 02:41:00 AM »
ChuckC... you got me on that one!   You're right, and the set of arrows i cut back because I thought they'd been cut too long was actually right on.   Next update to the page i'll post that as my first big boo boo.   You can bet it's one I won't make again!   That's what's so great about these lists... i can share what I do and learn from others even though i don't have anyone visiting or right there with me as I do stuff.    Thanks.

Dick in Seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 06:51:00 PM »
ttt

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 10:57:00 PM »
re Follow That Arrow...  a couple of folks have had problems with the link.   I don't know why, but sometimes long links just don't come through, and that is a long one.  I'm working on a new domain for my archery pages, but that doesn't help right now.   If the link doesn't work for you, just go to my main web page:

www.docwightman.com

then select the link to Archery and Howard Hill Bows

then select the link to Dick Builds Arrows.

Nothing new is up today... busy with doctors and tests... However, tomorrow should see some observations on what I learned from the first session and a full second session starting the finishing of the shafts.

By the way, if there are any shooters in Seattle following this and you want to drop by, just let me know.  You'd be welcome.

Dick in Seattle
Dick in Seattle

Offline DeanD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 08:00:00 AM »
Dick,

Your format and explanation on the follow along is very very good.

Thanks for taking the time to do this...

Dean
“…perhaps our grandsons, having never seen a wild river, will never miss the chance to set a canoe in singing waters…glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in.”

-Aldo Leopold

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 11:52:00 AM »
Dick,
 Very nice! Good presentation. If I may be so bold as to offer some advise. I didn't notice very many references to shaft straightening. You'll find that ensureing the straightest shaft possible prior to spining and taper cutting will give you much more consistant results. I straighten everything prior to doing anything, and check straightness between each step. I've found very few shafts as straight as I like them "right out of the box" so to speak.
  As an experiment, take a crooked shaft and spine test it. Then straighten it and re-spine, you'll see the difference.
  Keep it up, your doing great!

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©