3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bridge over Little Delta River, Alaska  (Read 270 times)

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
Bridge over Little Delta River, Alaska
« on: June 27, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
Got my TBH magazine yesterday -- it seems that I am always one of the last to receive my copy [of course, I am on the East Coast].  In any event, on page 41 of the magazine is a neat Bear Archery Company ad showing the iconic bridge over the Little Delta River.  

I remember seeing it as a teenager on the cover of one of the Bear catalogs, and it impressed me then as much as it does today.  It conjures up thoughts of a wild remote adventure in the last frontier.

However, one question has always plagued me and that is how did the bowhunters make it down the tree to the other side when they reached the end of the ladder with all their gear -- bows, arrows, packs, etc?  I have enough difficulty fording streams on the ground with all my tackle on.

Maybe, if we had a photo of the bridge from the other side showing the tree/bridge, the answer would be obvious?

Was the bridge actually used a number of times or was it just a one time means to get across?

Of course the photo also appears in "Bows on the Little Delta" by St. Charles, but I couldn't find anything in the book to help me with my question.  I did note that several of their river crossings were ones where they had to wade across.  

My question isn't intended to detract from the photo but is asked simply out of curiousity.  I think that it is a great photo and will always make me visualize in my mind a bowhunting adventure in Alaska on the Little Delta.  When one sees the photo, you know instantaneously what the picture is.

Perhaps one of our archery historians has an answer?    :)
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bridge over Little Delta River, Alaska
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
If you look closely at the picture, you'll see slats nailed to two of the spruce trees. Similiar to the slats nailed to the part just ahead of Fred. Still must've made for a dicey crossing.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
I still have not got mine, looking forward to the new issue. Love the old Bear stuff.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
Kind of like a tree stand ladder and they used it all week.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
we need a pithcer   :laughing:    :laughing:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 07:18:00 PM »
VTer,  I looked more closely at the photo, and you are probably right.  They must have reversed direction at the top when they came down the steps between the spruce trees.  Still a better picture would be nice.  I agree with you -- at best -- it had to be precarious!  Thanks for your thoughts.    :cool:
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Offline yeager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
One of the best ways to find out would be to get a hold of Joe St.Charles.  He could then ask Glenn.  I don't have his email though.  Another thought would be to contact Susann St.Charles...I believe she still might have an ad in TBM for Northwest Arhery as she does make arrows.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunter Assoc lifetime member
P&Y Club, Official Measurer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©