3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wall tents /Canvas tent For hunting questions ?  (Read 367 times)

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
Wall tents /Canvas tent For hunting questions ?
« on: June 27, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
I've been wanting to get a canvas tent for hunting.I've been doing some research and a lot of them recommend that you have a rain fly over the top of the roof,why ?

I know that your nylon tents have a nylon fly over them because some of them have netting in the ceilings .  Will the roof leak on a continuous rainy day ?  I like the Mt. Spike tent ,I have seen one with a 4 foot wall which is nice ,It also has a 8 1/2' ceiling.  I also would like to use it during the summer on the weekends until we can get our cabin made on our land.  We're not going to put up a large cabin may be a
12 X 16,And then I can add on to it later .But I thought if I could get by a for about five years with a wall tent,Then we could probably put a larger cabin.  We do have a 20 foot travel trailer ,But it's just not the same .

Any suggestions or help ,This 40 acres will be new to me .Never had that much land to hunt on.  Looks like it's gonna be a new chapter in my life.  All I can say is God is gracious, It's never been selected cut , And some of the birch trees are 12 diameter.

And if you have any company recommendations who to buy from it be appreciated

Thanks

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline sndmn11

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wall tents /Canvas tent For hunting questions ?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
PM sent

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
Prairie Traditions (Whip) - sponsor drop down list at the top of the page.

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
Carl, Canvas tents are great...after 24+ years in the military...that was all they used up until a few years ago! Canvas is heavy to transport, must be dry when stored and will leak if touched during rain! That's why a fly is always recommended.  Tons of good tents on the market that will fill your needs (not canvas). I will tell you now...YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!! After years of using cheap tents, I finally got a GOOD tent (not cheap) $800.00 or so..a Cabela's XWT, I spend about 90 days a year in my tent. The entire month of Sept is spent in it, Elk huntin' in Idaho..I've had this tent about 6 years..it will last another 6! Pick a good one.if you go with canvas pick the the BEST. It will payoff in the long run! Good luck.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
How about a heater in a nylon tent in the wintertime ,Or are you just asking for a melt down!

I've always had nylon tents ,And I have never been wet in nylon tents ,But I would like to have a wood stove ,But I don't see any that offer a tent that is feasible for that .

Of course I have always seen sealed about every three years,

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Moon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
I've had a Davis wall tent (14'x16') for about 3 years and it works great.  I got the 5' sides, wood stove and traditional poles.  I haven't had any issues with leaks and don't use a rainfly.  However, I now plan to begin using a tarp to keep tree sap and other debris from staining the top/ceiling.

Like Longarrow said, pick the best you can if you plan to buy a canvas tent.

Good luck.
Moon

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »
Good, tight weave canvas won't leak in the rain and will still breathe so you don't get condensation on the inside.  Our wall tent isn't the quality canvas it should be and we have to have a visqueen liner to keep the rain out.  My summer time cabin tent that is no longer made (Wildwood) was in an inch of rain a couple weeks ago and never leaked a drop.  Make sure you research any canvas tent so you are confident of the quality of materials.

I also have a waterproof, non-canvas tent, that rains on the inside due to condensation.  I won't use it again.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
www.denvertent.com

if you want to drool over some stuff. I got mine here. Plenty of room to lay out the bows and arrows.

Mike
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline sentinel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 02:31:00 AM »
Check out pantherprimitives.com. I been using the 12x14 wall tent (pg 43) without any tarp (hasn't leaked yet) for the past 8 years and couldn't be more pleased . I also have their small camp stove (pg 66) to keep the inside nice and warm during cold nights. Just keep in mind that these tents are heavy and require about 3 people to set up.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 03:03:00 AM »
You have to decide if your going to find a camping spot and set up a tent; or if your going to carry a tent back in; or if your going to use pack animals to get your tent back in.

Without knowing that- nobody can tell you what tent to buy.

My friend leaves a 12x12 alaknak tent here with me for his elk trips. It has stood up to a foot of snow; to pounding rain; and keeps him dry. He has a woodstove in it; and you can stand up and walk around when your tent bound by weather.

But that tent weighs 90 pounds. That is half a load on a strong pack animal.

If your wanting to camp near a road; and have chairs and cots and a woodstove - you ~can~ do it with pack animals if you watch the weight.

A heavy canvas tent of one size can weigh too much compared to the same size tent with a lighter canvas.

I hunt back country areas often; and rarely if ever the tents are not covered in a plastic tarp.
 Its just a fact- canvas leaks. Now if its not raining- then it won't leak - but... duh.

Nylon tents will keep the wet out; and a good tent will have ventilation so that you can keep it from raining inside from condensation; and having a woodstove burning - keeps the condensation out of the picture.

Nylon tents though need a treatment of seam sealer; and an anti-uv spray rubbed on them to keep them working to keep out water over time.

Mr buddy heaters; and other propane products now have auto shut offs so you don't die from a lack of oxygen. But go too high in elevation; and that feature will keep your heater from working; and too your thermocell.

A sealed up nylon tent with a woodstove is a death trap.

Canvas tents have a magic to them; a nostalgic effect that no other tent can. They allow safe use of a woodstove. They can be packed back in; with cots and chairs and tables on a couple pack animals.

Its all about where you want to use the tent; and if you want to stand up in one ( you cannot under-rate that in a storm that keeps you inside) and the right tent with a heater can allow you to dry out wet clothes and boots.

the alaknak is great - but from the Alaska hunts I have seen; wind might take you up with Toto. There in Alaska - tents designed for high winds seem to rule.

there is nothing better after a hard days hunt than to come home to a tent that keeps you warm; allows you to dry out your clothes; cook your food and sleep like a baby.

But its not just about picking a design or material; its about figuring out where you will hunt; and what you want out of a tent; and how you will get it there. And if your going to set it up alone or with others.... .
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 07:53:00 AM »
I love canvas tents - that's what got ne into selling them. If I can help in any way let me know.
I'm hunting in FL this week and replying on my phone so hard to go into detail. But give me a call or email or PM if I can help in any way. I'll be back on Wed.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 08:10:00 AM »
I am no camper but Whip's canvas pole tents looked awful comfy and sturdy while we were at Compton this year. Friday night a storm came thru with 60 MPH winds but the pole tents were still standing tall the next morning. If I ever get the $$$ to go on a true out west 10-14 day hunt I sure hope I am in one of Whip's pole tents. Heard horror stories of hunts being ruined by weather and not having proper gear.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline shbne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
The most comfortable and practical would be your travel trailer.

So, if your just doing it for fun, get a big honking Teepee.

They're way cooler, and look better in photos.

Offline Pete Arthur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
I have stayed in my friends Cabela's "Alaskan" tent. It's nylon,and also has a provision for a wood stove.
It is a great tent, but it is also very heavy to pack. We used it on a Moose hunting trip to the Boundary Waters a couple years ago and got into some snow and very cold weather. It held up great and was almost too warm with the stove going. If I were going to substitute a tent for a cabin, I'd go with that one.

Offline trapperzeke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
Another reason for the fly is it sheds snow easier.  My first wall tent was a brand Cabelas no longer carries and it was a budget model nightmare.  The fly didn't fit the canvas (stove pipe hole was in wrong place), the frame didn't fit right, and it was too cheap.  It collapsed under snow load when I had to leave the site for an extended period with no heat.

My second and current wall tent from Panther Primitives was bought for using at reenactment events, but became an extra outpost for family deer hunts out of my father's motorhome.  Having more room and a place to dry wet clothes was quite an improvement!  With no fly, it has withstood a 2'+ blizzard and subsequent thaw without any dripping inside, but the walls were damp inside if you were to touch them.  Keeping the stove going makes a big difference, of course.

If you're not camping next to the vehicle or have pack animals, you're not going to get very far in, comfortably anyways.  We once used a deer cart to set up about 1/2 mile from the vehicle on a log road in the snow, and that was some kind of work.  Even harder bringing out wet canvas to be dried out again at home.  Lots to consider, but defineitely lots of enjoyment!

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 10:13:00 AM »
Has anyone ever looked into the "arctic oven" from  Alaska Tent & Tarp,  www.alaskatent.com.   Stumbled onto the site at one time.  Looks like a high quality item designed for the worst that mother nature can dish out. I'm sure shipping isn't cheap.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
smoke: good link- those are fair prices - even with shipping ( although going there to pick them up would be kinda fun )      :thumbsup:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
I have always wanted a big wall tent, but here in the east there is not much use for them. However I still want one.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 04:03:00 PM »
Check out Montana Canvas they made the origanal Cabela's Alanak Tent. I have one that is over 10 years old I set it up every fall for 3 months at deer camp. It is 12 x 12 with a single pole in the middle and 4' side walls. Plenty of room for 2 and ALL your gear. Also 1 person can set it up.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »
My home away

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©