3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arkansas boy in the San Juan Mnts AMAZING!! Pics added P.2  (Read 349 times)

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Arkansas boy in the San Juan Mnts AMAZING!! Pics added P.2
« on: June 27, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
well, I would not trade my place on Crow Mt. for anything, but ya'll guys that live in the mnts have the most beautiful horizion scenery that I have ever seen. I have just watched the sun set in the mnts for the first time only a few minutes ago. I am on vacation right now and am just amazed at all of this.

i was raised in the "mountians" of AR, but always knew they were not classified as mnts. I did not know what a mountian range looked like, except in pictures, until today. I AM BREATHLESS!!!! We really did not have anything planned for tomorrow, so I told my wife that I am going to climb up in those mountians. I may not go all the way to the top, but I MUST ROAM. Something in them is just drawing me. I cannot resist, nor do I want to.

GOD is great and good to us. No one can look to this blessed world and deny that fact.

John
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arkansas boy in the San Juan Mnts AMAZING!! Pics added P.2
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
It's great that you are enjoying yourself. Be careful when you go stomping around bears like to eat too!...lol

Pictures!!!! Lot's of pictures please!

God bless,Mudd

PS You are so right, man is without excuse!
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Jmgcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
Enjoy yourself...the mountains in the inter-mountain west are fantastic.

Think how beautiful they would be had GOD not cursed the Earth after the fall.
Life is not about surviving the storm, but learning to dance in the rain!
Blessed is the Nation whose God is the LORD,... Psalm 33:12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »
Well, guys the beauty is absolutly amazing, but I need to make this a skill sharpener also. I have been talking with one of my buds, we have decided on a fall 2011 bowhunt for elk.

I need to use this outing to sharpen my skills, wait, I mean gain some skills, for scouting the mountians for elk. The only elk sign I have been around is in the AR hills where the elk have been transplanted. They are more like cows than anything there.

Any of you elk hunters got any suggestions on what to look for? i am pretty fair at whitetail hunting and can read sign pretty well. Do elk travel like deer? i have heard some folks compare it to turkey hunting... Any help would be appriciated.

thanks
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
Hey John, when you get back send me a PM and we can talk.  I've been to Colorado a few times and may can help some.  I'm no "expert" like many are here but maybe I can help some.  Have fun!!!!

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
Welcome to Colorado, but take it easy. Mountain sickness is real, and while you won't die from it, it will make you pretty sick from headaches, nausea, etc. The air's pretty thin up there.

If you have a chance, go over Red Mountain Pass into Ouray. The scenery up there is absolutely breathtaking!
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Sacred mt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
Enjoy the moments...make sure the campfire is fully out when leaving.

Online Pack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
Roaming those mountains will help you appreciate the fact that getting in shape should be one of your top priorities for an elk hunt.  An out of shape elk hunter will be very limited as to how you can hunt and for how many days in a row.  Did you bring a bow?  What better way to spend a day than stump shooting in the Rocky Mountains?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
my wife did not want me to bring a bow because she knew how it would turn out. Alot of stumping and not much traveling, already been down that road. lol Anyway, i have got to tell ya'll how it is going so far. I have been snowed on, rained on, waded snow, slid down draws, and wondered endlessly through black timber. I HAVE HAD THE TIME OF MY LIFE!!!! I have seen stuff that I never dreamed I would gaze at, I have been lioke a kid in a candy store for the past 2 days. WOW!!!

Mudd, I have pics, lots and lots of pics. I figured out vaguely how to find an elk. Almost like whitetail deer. I found lots of tracks and trails lo
s of mud holes with tracks all over and in them, maybe wollows?? Don't know, but the elk seemed to like them alot. I went all around in the woods and even got to an elevation where there were hardly any trees.

I am on my phone, so I can't get the pics on photobucket, but I will soon.

I have plans to go back and learn to find these critters a little more on thursday, tomorrow its a train ride, wednesday is Masa Verde bluff shelters, then more scouting.

I may have to find an over-the-counter tag for this fall. These guys would give me and my Robertsons a good week chase for sure. I have seen alot of sign, but no visuals yet. THIS HAS STARTED A FIRE.

John

Offline SMA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »
Hey John,
 I think I just took the same train ride you are going on day before yesterday. It was amazing.
Have fun!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
And another one bites the dust!  

Once you have the rockies in your veins there is no turning back.  You are now destined for the rest of your life to yearn to return every year.  If you think this is good, just wait until you come back in September!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
Hey John, spend plenty of time at Mesa Verde.  Truely an awesome place.  I'm still blown away how they made those dwellings by hand!!!!  BTW, I got your message, get ahold of me when you get back and get a chance.  

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
Mesa Verde is awesome, as stated. The train ride from Durango to Silverton is spectacular, too. One suggestion, though, ride the train up to Silverton, and take the bus back. That will free up half a day for more sightseeing.

Forgot to add, don't miss the museum at MesaVerde.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
Whip, you are right!! I feel an addiction starting, and I am thinking September for the next trip, also!!

it is a small world. A TGer was just taking the same path that I will be on tomorrow.

This place is great.

Offline San Juan Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »
Hey John,

Where are you at?

Mike

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
John, being a fellow crow mtn dweller, I also love the san juans, I think Ouray is my wifes favorite town in the world!! we TRY to go there at least once a year..  went on a back pack elk trip there a couple years ago with Roger A. and am dying to go back.. Bill Wray who is in the TBA has a cabin (more like a big log house) and 20 or so acres just outside of Creede..he spends 6 mos there and 6 mos here..(smart guy)  bet ya miss this hundred degree heat dont ya?? LOL   be careful  Dave
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
I was there 2 years ago with TBARM Outfitters on a 7-day elk hunt, it is a beautiful area indeed.  I am heading a little futher north this year with some friends from this site on a pack-in wilderness elk hunt.

I dream in color and 3D of Colorado!!!  :campfire:
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
i am in Pigosa Springs right now and just saw a huge bull on the way back from Mesa Verde. HUGE!!! That guy must have been 60" wide and way taller that he was wide. I thought i would not see any with that much horn this early, but I will say he had a huge advantage also... He was inside a high fence area. Not the same as seeing a toad in the wild, but it was still very impressive.
Is Roger still living in Colorado, Dave? Man, that guy is something else. I loved shooting with him at the range.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
yea he is in Salida,a little north of ya,  kinda out of your way, but ya ought to look him up, holler if ya want his phone number he would love to talk to ya..i miss shootin/huntin with him as well
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
Going elk hunting in Colorado , september north of Deloris in unit 71 .Got room for 1 or 2 more bow hunters will leave from Glenwood area let me know if any one wants to go,

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©