3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tillering advice needed  (Read 332 times)

Offline Butts

• Trad Bowhunter
Tillering advice needed
« on: May 07, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »
I started a bow at OJAM and need to lower the draw weight. Right now it pulls 66# @ 31". I would rather it be around 55#. Can I sand out this much or is it better to scrape it? Also it has about 1.25" of string follow. Can I clamp it down to my bench with a block under the handle to take this out? Do I need to heat it with a heat gun or will just clamping it bend it enough?
Thanks, Chris
As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps clear the turds from your path.  George Carlin

Offline Bob Walker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tillering advice needed
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 11:36:00 PM »
Chris,
I'm not an expert like some of the guys here but until they chime in, yes, you can take the bow down in weight. If you scrape, take it very slowly. 4 or 5 scrapes on each limb, then exercise the bow and check the weight. Repeat the process until you are within 3-4 lbs of your desired weight then shoot the bow in with a couple of hundred arrows. Theoretically, that will put it where you want. To answer your second question, NO, you cannot take out the follow, don't try. With a self bow, follow is desired for a nice casting bow. If you try to remove it you will be compressing the fibers in the opposite direction as they have already been compressed and that will, most probably, ruin your bow.
Good luck,
Bob
Philippians 4:13

TGMM - Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tillering advice needed
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
Chris, I'd follow Bob's advice, check the tiller carfully. You may even take on more follow once you take some wieght off the bow, string follow, all tho not the desired look ain't a bad thing.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©