3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chinese Bow Making Story  (Read 482 times)

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
Chinese Bow Making Story
« on: May 08, 2007, 09:16:00 AM »
Don't know if anyone heard this or not, but NPR ran a piece this morning on a Chinese bowyer and told a little about his craft.

Here is a link to the story:

Chinese Bow Maker  

Apparently, this man's family has been making bows since 1720 and he has a bow in his shop that was made in 1820 as the century mark for the shop.

The reporter calls them "compound bows", but they are bamboo and horn composites.  The wait for a hand made bow is approximately a year and he makes bows (mostly) in the 35 pound range now.

It was an interesting story and goes into the craft and the fact that there are no measurements made, it is all done "by feel".

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Chinese Bow Making Story
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 03:46:00 PM »
Interesting! Enjoyed it very much! Thanks for the link.

Offline Jhoneil1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »
Here is the video of the Chinese Bowyer:

http://dsc.discovery.com/beyond/atlas.html?clik=China%20Revealed_leftnav

You have to click on the video choices on the right. Second one from the top."The Bowmaker"

According to another Chinese bowmaker, his bows are not that well made yet. Understandable since he basically has to re-learn the trade by himself.

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 03:50:00 PM »
Very good.  I didn't know there was video with this one.  Interesting bow press in that video.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
I heard the correction by NPR a few days later after some emails they received. They let everyone know the bow made by the Chinese bowyer is not a compound (which npr described as a "high tech weapon made of cables and wheels") but a composite bow.

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 06:15:00 AM »
Even better to have a video clip of the story - nice!
Did you notice that the guys in the beginning shooting scene did not know wether to use a mediterranian or thumbring release?

Short after the bowyer talks about how they hided away their heritage bow from the red guards, there is a nice pellet crossbow shown.  See the double string! I would suppose it was THIS picture what lead someone to believe this man is into compounds    :thumbsup:

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 07:16:00 AM »
Man, I was just over Beijing in Late March early April and could of stopped in and met this guy but I had a more important matter to take care of.(To meet by baby girl for the first time) but I was looking for Archery shops every where we traveled when I was there.I have one thing I would like to say is a lot of Chinese are gifted in detailing work.I saw a lot of carvings in stone, paintings,buildings and such that it truly amazed me.I have one bad thing to say that is kinda funny.They can't drive worth a lick and " James Bond " aint nothing compared to them. Keefers <")))><

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 10:46:00 AM »
Did ya notice the one Guard was shotin with fingers from the right side of the bow....
    The Video could of been a lot longer, Long enough to just tease....
    I wish that bowyer had a website....  :bigsmyl:
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©