3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: home made fun to shoot targets  (Read 553 times)

Offline Sean Butler

• Trad Bowhunter
home made fun to shoot targets
« on: June 30, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
Howdy everyone,

my girlfriend is semi interested in giving a trad bow a try.  She has a compound but rarely shoots so i think i can win her over with an old recurve my dad had bought for my sister when we were kids.  

I am thinking that if there was something more fun than a big foam block with a dot on it she'd be more inclined to give shooting a try.  

My original idea was to put a tennis ball on a string and fire away... i gave it a try with the bow for her but the arrow bounced directly back at me.  I half expected so there were no injuries, but i don't think she'll enjoy shooting a bow and then running away from the returning arrow.

So what's your most fun to shoot at target?  The more outrageous the better! pics of course are always welcome
"There is something about north. Something that sets it apart from all other directions. A person who is heading north is not making a mistake, in my opinion"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: home made fun to shoot targets
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
I have a bunch of foam balls the same size as a tennis ball.  I suspend them on a heavy string, probably similar to what you did and tie them from trees so they are just off the ground.  

I shoot at them with hex heads or judos and they are great fun.  I have never had an arrow come back at me  !  They are free hanging so I am not certain that this even could happen.

I think the most fun is no targets. .  just walk thru the woods or field and choose plants, leaves, and other stuff to shoot at.  Some close, some far, some easy,  many just impossible.  Shoot a lot.
ChuckC

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
i realy enjoy stump shooting. but rarely shoot at stumps. i shoot at leafs, flowers, cans, pine cones..... whatever i see that catches my eye. get a couple of Judo points... i have never lost one. i get so bored shooting at my block target in the back yard. sometimes just to do something diffrent i take a long wax candle and sick it in my target and shoot at it at dark!

dont know if your girlfirend would enjoy doing this but i also have a bird bath in my back yard filled with corn. i take a peak every 10 min or so and see if there is a squirl on the bath. i leave my door cracked just enough where i can get a shot! lol! thats fun too

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
Stumpimg and roving is a blast!
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »
If you have grass and enough room between you and the neighbors,anything with a judo is fun.I use small nerf balls or gallon plastic jugs for beginners.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
Baloons tied to the target have always been fun... lots of instant gratification seeing them break...start her on med-large size and work down  :thumbsup:    :archer2:

Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
a baloon will keep her attention, pin a ballon up on the target and no one will want to quit till they hit it,  it works for me anyway. kids love it!

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
Balloons will do it, cheap and easy too. I'd put a number of sizes up, big one gets busted first and then the determination to get the smaller ones. I might try that myself!
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
Two bales of hay 1 stacked on top of the other and then hang 6 clay target for you and six for her.Broken wooden arrows will hold them when shoved into bale. First one to break all six wins.
Saw this at a shoot in OKC. Was lots of fun!

CKR
We do not stop playing because we are old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Offline brinkwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »
I'll go with the pine cones(natures cheap targets). They're plentiful,renewable and with judo pointed arrows just plain fun.

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
Shooting at plastic milk jugs filled with colored water make for a fun time. Just put up two pulleys run a rope through them and put two S hooks on the ends.

The winner is the one that shoots the most holes so that the water runs out the fastest and the other jug hits the ground. It's cheap and fun!

PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
Kevin,
Aside from the wheelie guys shooting from chip shot distances I think that is a great idea.  Move them back and put a stickbow in their hand and you'd have some fun.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Ron+dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
kevin thats awesome man what a great idea

sean i like balloons and fruit anything reactive
  :smileystooges:    :campfire:    :archer2:
>>>--------> <--------<<<
" the happiness that is found sleeping under tents is unbelievable. one night in tents is worth three in town" -bruce chatwin in far journeys

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
I got the idea from another stickbow shooter. He said it is a big draw at shoots. I set it up last year at one of my clubs 3-D shoots and everyone loved it.

I'm sorry about the wheelie guys in the picture, but it's hard to take pictures of yourself when your shooting. It's fast action and much better suited for stickbows.

The kids are just crazy to shoot it. We set it up so that the winner of each round would get a ticket in the drawing for 1/2 the pot and the other half went to the WI Bowhunters Association.
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 11:26:00 PM »
I like to fold a dollar bill in half and stick it to the target... whoever hits it gets it and the loser puts up another... the only gambling that I have any luck at  :D
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 01:45:00 AM »
We have done the dollar thing also, usually at 20 yards.  We fold ours in 1/3's.... just the face shows that way. Just the ticket to re-nue
action when things start to slow down.  :thumbsup:    :jumper:

Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Sean Butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 03:39:00 AM »
Thank you everyone for the great ideas so far.

My dad used to do the dollar bill thing with my sister and i when we were kids.  I was always so proud of my dollar with a hole it in, any way onto today...  

I finally got my girlfriend out to shoot.  It went ok.  She did quite well but her interest began to decline after about 45 minutes.  I think she was just expecting to be better than she was.  We shot at a leaf on the target and the dreaded tennis ball (No injuries yet).

Tomorrow I'll pick up some balloons.  Even if she doesn't want to shoot, they just seem like fun to pop  :)
"There is something about north. Something that sets it apart from all other directions. A person who is heading north is not making a mistake, in my opinion"

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »
I use a 1 inch waffer cut from one of those wacky noodles that kids play with while swimming.
 Just hang it by a fish line in front of the target. I tie a small screw on the line, and just stick it in the waffer. It blows back and forth in the wind if hung out in front of the target, and makes a fun target to shoot. It is cheap, you can get them for about a 1.50, and can make a bunch of waffers from one of them, as there about 3 feet long.
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Offline Saltydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
It maybe that 45 mins. is too long. I shot almost every day and I notice that after about 1/2 hour I start losing the concentration and focus to shoot my best.
I've learned that walk in the woods with my father as a child did wonders for me as an adult.

Offline yeager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »

Here's a target I made for our archery club.  Each year we host a shoot made primarily of homemade targets like this one...infact we just had that shoot last weekend.  Other targets I have made are - zebra, rhino, kangaroo, cape buffalo, muskox to name a few.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunter Assoc lifetime member
P&Y Club, Official Measurer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©